Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner April 2011

Cost of the average honeymoon??

Pollyjean35, 21 October, 2010 at 18:27

Posted on Planning 45

We have just started looking into a 2 week honeymoon and I just wondered what is the average people are spending? Also how long is everyone going for, 10 days? 2 weeks etc? We cant decide what to do and if im honest have been surprised at some of the prices we have been quoted!! We are however...

We have just started looking into a 2 week honeymoon and I just wondered what is the average people are spending?

Also how long is everyone going for, 10 days? 2 weeks etc?

We cant decide what to do and if im honest have been surprised at some of the prices we have been quoted!! We are however starting to get lured in by all the gorgeous resorts and are thinking we should spend as much as we can afford instead of cutting corners! ?

45 replies

• M
    Beginner March 2012
    mrs a to be ·
    • Hide content

well honeymoons not really an issue with me. i work for a travel company and get half prices holidays. i fancied mexico or maldives but my OH won't go somewhere like that as he says there is not enough to do so think we've settled on Florida. it will be over easter tho so is more expensive but atleast i get my discount!!
  • Gbutterfly
    Beginner July 2012
    Gbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Just started the whole process, what companies actually do honeymoons. Having a look on thomas cook and thomson's and I don't see links for it at all. Can anyone help?

• Gbutterfly
    Beginner July 2012
    Gbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Ah thanks!!

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

AJ I appreciate what you are saying here, and I'm sure it wasn't meant this way, but I am quoting this bit of your last post in the hope that when you read it back you will see how people could easily take it as an attack on people who have exotic honeymoons. It sounds like you are implying that those who go abroad for honeymoon have lost sight of what is important about getting married.

I would find a week at Centreparcs far more stressful than planning a wedding anyway ?

In response to the original question, we are going to SIngapore and Bali for 2 weeks, on a bed and breakfast basis, for £4500. It is more than I originally had in mind and I was very hesitant about booking it for ages (guilt!), but we can afford it, and have worked hard to be able to afford it, so it's ok. We upgraded our main hotel in Bali (we're staying inland for a couple of days and then heading to the beach for 8 nights) to a villa with private pool, we're very excited!

It wouldn't ruin our "wedding experience" to not have this honeymoon, but it is an important part of it all. We wanted to have a once in a lifetime holiday, where we really spoiled ourseves, and wanted to go somewhere neither of us had been before, so that we can make new memories. In the 9 years we have been together, we've only been on 4 holidays together: to the Lake District, Scotland, Portugal and Cyprus (although this was for a wedding so wasn't very holiday-ish as we spent a lot of time on wedding prep!).

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

AJ, you seem to have one heck of a bee in your bonnet about what people do or don't spend money on for their weddings.

We're going to South Africa for 2.5 weeks straight after our wedding and we'll be there over Christmas too. We're travelling around quite a bit and staying in pretty much 'normal' hotels except at Christmas where we've spent about £220 a night on a nice place where the room has it's own private deck and jaccuzzi. TBH, I would have liked to upgrade a bit more on the rest of it but it's costing about £4k as it is.

A package just isn't us, but this has worked out really well. We went to Trailfinders and they've been excellent. We're having our giftlist with them too so guests can contribute if they so wish.

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    Marylou-lou ·
    • Hide content

Our honeymoon is kind of within the wedding as we are staying away for a week in the area we marry with family. I always knew I wouldn't have a honeymoon as I like to have holidays when I fancy and weekend breaks at odd times of the year. Trying to shoehorn a honeymoon in was too much for me to plan in all honesty. Plus our 2 kids (15 & 9) would want to come!! No way!!!!

• M
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs A to B ·
    • Hide content

We are going to Barbados to the Sandy Lane Hotel, we are looking at spending about £30k as i want to fly at least business class! I see the honeymoon as an important part of the wedding!

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

Couldn't agree more - our travel agent managed to knock money off the holiday and chuck in some extras as it was a honeymoon. Have a bit of a bargain. If something's only a bit over budget see if they can't knock a bit off.

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content

Having originally started this thread a few weeks ago i would just like to say we have booked our honeymoon!

Whilst I am very consious of costs and we are getting married on a fairly tight budget after a lot of thinking we decided to go all out and book something we really really wanted. We are doing 3 nights in Bangkok and 10 nights in Koh Samui. Our honeymoon is costing 3.5k and our wedding is only costing about 4k but within that budget we have everything we could have hoped for and more for our wedding.

Our reasoning behind splashing out on a honeymoon is simple, we are planning to try for a family as soon as we are married and wanted to have one lavish holiday where we are going somewhere we will probably never go again. We want to experience a differnt culture and have 2 weeks of luxury to ourselves because the chances are that this is something we will not get again for a very very long time.

It means saving up that little bit harder but we think its worth it.

• M
    Beginner March 2012
    mrs a to be ·
    • Hide content

me too, we're going to Florida for 14nights. beach, shopping, pool, theme parks - we're both happy then! Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics