Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner June 2014

Costs/issues in having ceremony in your own garden..

redsunflower25, 22 of February of 2013 at 15:20 Posted on Planning 0 14

As title suggests, we are now toying with having the whole ceremony and reception at OH dads house/garden.

Is this possible??

In my mind we'd need a registrar to come and perform the ceremony and then do the paper work but I guess we'd need a temporary licence? Is there anything else, complications that might occur?

Roughly we'd like to have the ceremony there, few pics then a BBQ, nothing too formal, is only 8 of us too, hopefully that way we can save a bit of cash.

Any ideas/thoughts very much welcome ... we are lost as to what we would need etc

thanks!

14 replies

Latest activity by redsunflower25, 23 of February of 2013 at 08:37
  • V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know the ins and outs of obtaining a licence, but imagine it isn't easy.

Have you thought about maybe getting the 'official' ceremony done at the registry office/somewhere licensed and then having a blessing in the family garden, no licence would be needed then.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I think the legal bits are the main thing. I would also be interested in what people have to say as I'd love to get married outdoors somewhere random like how you can in Scotland!

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

Neither of us want anything big so it would be lovely just to have a 'knees up' at home, (both families have dogs and it would be easier for them rather than the faff of kennels etc)

We did toy with Scotland idea but again is the logistics of it, and it wouldn't save us anything, it would be nice to be able to do it all for under £2,000 but i guess its as expensive as you make it

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

You two and two witnesses could just go to a registry office in the morning and be 'legally' married, and then have someone do a ceremony for you in your garden.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you'll struggle to get a licence to marry you at home (unless one of you is housebound through incapacity or illness). As far as I know, marriages in England have to be held in public places with an "open door" policy. A private home would not fall under this category. I suppose you might be able to argue that a garden would.

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

Ok, OH didnt want to go to a registry office but he will have to suck it up if he wants a 'garden wedding' i don't mind as our nearest is Brighton and it means a lot to me a place, had quick recky of costs, would save us a bit to do the legal stuff there then left over cash can go towards the rest of the day or honeymoon.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This - it must be in a place that is open to the public, think it's because if anyone knows of any reason either of you should not be lawfully married they are able to get access and raise their objections, hence why the question is asked.

Also my understanding is that, in England, the ceremony must take place under a licensed covered permanent structure so a ceremony in your own garden wouldn't get a licence anyway. I could be wrong here but think I read somewhere there is a restriction on how many places within a certain area can hold a licence but I may have dreamt this since I've had a few weird dreams lately lol.

Scotland doesn't have the same restrictions.

Good Luck with your search

L x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

You could have a humanist wedding in your garden but again in England the legal bit needs to be done in the registrar office where as in Scotland humanist celebrants are officially able to perform the whole ceremony in their own right.

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for replies!

Will chat to OH and have a rethink, we are still very much in the 'what the heck do we do' stage, hopefully we might decide by next year!!

quite like to have a girly frock... be a bit of a waste to just wear it at home!! ?

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

You wouldn't be able to get married in your future in laws garden as the law stands. His garden would have to be open to the public and available for other people to have their wedding there too for the duration of the licence (2-3 years). As someone said the ceremony must be in a permanent structure. Also, there is a fee for the licence of an approved premise and the local authority could charge up to and beyond 2K

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry to jump the thread but ...

Civil Ceremonies - can you give any thoughts or advice on this thread please - https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/367172.aspx

Thanks in Advance

L x

• NotJustForHIre
    NotJustForHIre ·
    • Hide content

Not sure where you live. I noticed you put Brighton in one of your posts. May not be as local to you but I know that Horsham Registry Office is at the musuem and its lovely. A friend of ours got married there the day before their wedding then had a blessing in their own garden. It is a little less towny then Brighton which if I am right is right in the middle of town. Hope you get it sorted. Good luck

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is true. I worked in an approved venue about 5 years ago it was £1000 annually for the licence and you had to be open to anyone marrying there.

• captureamore
    captureamore ·
    • Hide content

I would suggest like some others you get married legally in a registry office and then have a blessing/humanist ceremony in the garden.
    Sounds like a really cool relaxed plan .. hope it all goes well!

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all Your advice, I guess we won't be having the whole thing at home.

We are 15 mins from Brighton, 25 mins from horsham so we don't mind travelling, FIL lives above arundel so we will be travelling a bit anyway, (the OH is looking at hiring a fancy car for a treat, will see!)

Will have a look into horsham then, we have one venue to view soon which we might love anyway, we are still throwing ideas around. I have few anxiety issues so sadly to have a 'big do' would blow my mind. Hopefully we can come up with something that everyone will enjoy and still be 'ours'

Thanks again

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics