Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

~Curley~
Beginner August 2014

Couch 2 5K! First run!

~Curley~, 13 of January of 2014 at 14:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 66

I know some people where talking about doing it (i hijacked the thread) so just wanted to see who had started? Ive just completed my first run today! I know its not far and there is still a long way to go but carnt help but be a little bit pleased with myself. I have never ran before although im sure actual runners will class what i did as stumbled lol.

Those that are doing it how are you getting on? My legs feel like lead now! I thought i would struggle alot more than i did though.

66 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 17 of February of 2014 at 13:50
  • Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

Well done! Everyone starts somewhere. I haven't done the couch to 5k to but I start by running 5k's. I love the freedom of running. It's free (after buying trainers and sports clothes) you can do it anywhere and at any time. Keep us updated with how you get on.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Well done. Getting started was the hardest part for me when i did it, but i enjoyed it when I got going.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Well done!! I did W6R1 yesterday, and have r2 scheduled for tomorrow.

It's amazing the progress you make and I feel such a sense of accomplishment when I complete a run.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I started last week but with one thing or another I only managed 1 go. So am repeating week 1 this week.

I found it wasn't as bad as I thought, in the end I think we were out for about 45 mins, did the 25 mins then walked the rest of the way home. It certainly hasn't put me off going again. Luckily my H is doing it with me otherwise I think I wouldn't do it

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing this! Have done the first 3 runs. I'm not a natural runner, but I feel like I am getting into it and already feel a difference from the first run to the third. I either go with my OH or FSIL who are both fitter than me so I do slow them down but I feel good for doing it!

Good luck with it!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

W6R2 done today - that's the last of the intervals, sold 22 mins and up runs now, which I feel surprisingly okay about!

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I followed it a few years ago having not run since I was at school (20 years ago!!) and I think that it is a great plan. I was terrified at the prospect of doing the first 8 minute run and then the first 20 minute run but I managed it. I was surprised at how much I'd progressed as a few weeks earlier I struggled with running for a minute.

My sister started it last week and said that she already feels an improvement.

Good luck!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't call walking uphill cheating - uphill is tough! Very tough, I had to change my route so I now avoid hills.

With regards to pace, my dog is pacemaker! We run together and he really does motivate me and helps me keep a steady fast jog pace.

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What is this Muppet?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It means Week 6 Run 1 of the program!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You want to run at a pace where you can still hold a conversation. If you are struggling for breath when trying to talk then you are almost certainly going too fast to be able to maintain it for any length of time.

Also, there's no shame in walking up hills if you need to. Hills are tough unless you specifically train for them, I know marathoners who still walk up hills. As long as you keep going then that's all that really matters no matter how slow you think you are.

Well done to everyone doing C25K. I did it a few years ago and as cheesy as it sounds it completely changed my life. I hated sports at school but now I really enjoy getting out for a run 4/5 times a week and I go to parkrun every Saturday morning.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Well I managed a run last night. It's only the second time I've been out but it was ok, I'm actually surprising myself how much I'm not hating it

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I started this before Xmas and got up to week two. I then had a break from the gym so started back on week one yesterday and it wasn't too hard. Back again tonight as well.

I am aiming to run the great south run in October (funky and Pompey agreed to run it with me when drunk- will hold them to this) I really want to be able to achieve something and raise some money for charity.

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I just completed week 6! I just ran for 22 minutes. I feel fantastic!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to start week 2 today. Wish me luck!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Good luck mini!

I did run 1 of week 7 today. I ran 25 mins none stop! Keep getting into my head I should enter the london marathon next year haha.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Good luck Mini! I finished Week one yesterday so starting Week 2 on Monday. I tried to do it a few times last year but got to about week 3 and then stopped and went back to the beginning and then did the same again. Stupid really and it meant when I started it again last week I was a bit disappointed to be back at the beginning again and finding it a struggle. I'm really determined to see it through this time.

EF - walking up hills isn't cheating - I often do mine at the gym on a treadmill so I tend to do most of it flat. I know I'll struggle too much otherwise. I use to run a lot in my teens to also struggle with my pace, which again is why I like the treadmill for now as it keeps my pace for me.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Well I've bought myself some decent running trainers today so week 2 starts tomorrow?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I'm pleased to report that my first run of week two went quite easily today. Fingers crossed I won't he in too much pain tomorrow.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

This thread inspired me to start running again. I managed it out three times last week and did some exercises in between. I am going to try to go every week night I think and set myself a goal - a 10k race in a couple of months time I think. I loved running in the summer, having never been a runner, my trainer told me to burn lots of cals, I needed to run, so ran I did! I want to feel like that again!! Thanks for the inspiration ladies!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

So my brand spanking new 90 quid running trainers have given me blisters! Should I persevere with them or take them back? The shop I bought them from is a proper running shop and they offer a no quibble return even if they've been worn so I've got nothing to lose either way. What do you reckon?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's worth an ask. I would be miffed.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I am miffed actually. Being the saddo I am I was actually looking forward to trying them out but then this happened.

Do you think they will improve though? I didn't really think you had to wear in trainers but as a novice I don't know!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

mine are cheapy Nike ones and they diddnt rub when I first wore them- expensive ones shouldn't.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Worth speaking to them Holey. My trains in the last week have started giving me blisters on the soles of my feet. But they're old and not 'proper' running trainers fitted to me, I nicked them off mum.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Well these ones I had to stand on a plate while they checked how I stood and then I had to run on a treadmill a bit whilst they checked how I ran. So they did seem to know their stuff. Might try them once more this week and see how I go.

The annoying thing is I had the choice between 60 quid ones or 90 quid ones that were reduced from 125 so stupidly I assumed the more expensive ones would be better.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Definitely take them back Holey, they shouldn't have given you blisters!

Out of interest, do you mind saying where you got them from? I went to the running shop in Leicester to get mine as I didn't know that there was anywhere nearer!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

First run of week 2. I struggled with it.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

It was sweatshop in the snowdome in mk. But there is a little independent very close to where iI live that I should have tried really. It's on st Leonards road in Northampton. I've heard really good things about them if you need anything else teabag

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. I will look out for the place in Northampton next time I need a new pair. I got a pair of Saucony ones in the Next sale half price but I stupidly ordered the wrong size so they had to go back!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Well.... I did not get up for my run this morning. I'm nearing the end of Couch 2 5k ( 8 more runs!) and have plans to start the 5 to 10k training plan after that. I'm not sure I want to run for a hour before work twice a week - an tips on how to be motivated to run after work? - I assume this will be easier in the summer time...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics