Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

~Curley~
Beginner August 2014

Couch 2 5K! First run!

~Curley~, 13 of January of 2014 at 14:44

Posted on Off Topic Posts 66

I know some people where talking about doing it (i hijacked the thread) so just wanted to see who had started? Ive just completed my first run today! I know its not far and there is still a long way to go but carnt help but be a little bit pleased with myself. I have never ran before although im...

I know some people where talking about doing it (i hijacked the thread) so just wanted to see who had started? Ive just completed my first run today! I know its not far and there is still a long way to go but carnt help but be a little bit pleased with myself. I have never ran before although im sure actual runners will class what i did as stumbled lol.

Those that are doing it how are you getting on? My legs feel like lead now! I thought i would struggle alot more than i did though.

66 replies

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

Just done week 2 run 2. Found it much harder today. I guess some days are better than others. I can't imagine being able to run for 3 minutes without stopping let alone 20!! Eek! I've got one more of the 90 second runs and then it's 3 minutes...at the moment I think ill really struggle!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Just think of it as the length of one song - it's amazing how much you improve week by week! I seriously can't believe I can run 25 mins without stopping now!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Ooo good luck, I'm planning on running Weds,Thurs, Sat and Sunday this week, which will take me up to running 28 minutes running, infact, I think Sunday I'll attempt the full 30 mins/ 5 k run, as it's only 2 minutes more.

The sense of achievement when I finish a run is the absolute best feeling.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I often feel like doing the Mobot when I finish a la Mo Farah but I'm too embarrassed to!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I run with my dog and I make him high five me at the end of every run.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I did wee 2 run 2 today and I'm pleased to say it wasn't too hard. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about it all so far though I may not he as chirpy next week!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Yay mini!

Run 2 of week 7 is done and I feel ready to move to week 8 tomorrow. I'm aiming to do a full 30 mins/5k on sunday!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I need to poperly get back into this.

Those who run outside, what do you use to keep pace? I did about 4 weeks of C25k a year ago with the NHS podcast but I didn't like the music. Does anyone know of any other podcasts or apps?

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I use my Ipod which has a Nike fitness thingy on there and you can either set it for time, distance, calories etc etc. It keeps a record of it as well. I find it perfectly good enough for me.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used the Rundouble app - it's got C25k on it, 5 - 10 K and half marathon training plans (boy they look tough) plus fun runs, but I listen to my own music in the background with spotify.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Week 2, run 2 tonight with the blister trainers (am going to take them back at the weekend).

Peanut I run with my H and just time it, I don't listen to the podcast. I just run at a pace I can maintain, if I go at my h's pace I get knackered really quickly!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Wahooo! I ran for 28 minutes!! Gonna do that once more then the big 30 min on sunday.

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very impressed! Well done you!

I've just done week 2 run 3. It was fine this time. Still think ill struggle with 3 minutes at once but ill give it a good go and see what happens!! Smiley smile

I use the couch to 5k app and listen to my 'running' playlist on my phone and then 'Laura' pipes up over the top. I like it.

Think I might need to invest in some better trainers though!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, the Rundouble app seems to be exactly what I was looking for so I've downloaded that and will give it a go!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I did my second run of week two today and it went really well, I didn't struggle at all and felt much better than earlier in the week. I only managed to run twice this week so I'll try to go Sunday two to complete week two.

I can't believe your already running 30 minutes Muppet that's great.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I did it! Whooo!! 30mins! Gonna do 2 more and then start my 10k training.

Well done everyone!

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Well done Muppet! I can't remember if you have already said, but have you got an event that you're doing this training for?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Thanks!

I'm going to do race for life 10k and a few others I hope!

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic - good luck with the rest of your training ?

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content

Hello! I've just started doing couch to 10K! Boy I'm crap at running! Have done 2 runs so far and thought I was about to throw up when I finished my run last night! My friend has signed us up to do race for life in July so got that to aim for too.

She told me about a really good app - called Strava. Its free and maps / times your run and you can have it going at the same time as the couch210k one too. Think it will be good for motivation and you can see how far you have run. Thought I'd share!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

The rundouble app maps your runs too - I love looking at where I've been!

I started 5 - 10k today, I was going to do 2 more 5ks but I also have weigh in on Friday and the extra running will help I hope!

It was tough, so tough, but so enjoyable.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Is anyone else doing this having problems with their knees? mine was twingeing a bit in the first week, I've done the first run of week 3 and my left knee is hurting a bit. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I did week 3 run 1 last night. Didn't get on too badly. Felt quite out of breath when I finished but felt like I recovered quite quickly

DCM have you got decent trainers?

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pretty decent - I bought them for road running about 5 years ago (not that overused though) I wonder whether it's cos I'm tending to do it on a treadmill...

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Is anyone else still on this? My early knee niggles have gone away, which is good, I'm not at the end of week 4 - I had to repeat it twice as I found it quite a jump from week 3 to week 4 (a lot more running). I start week 5 on my next run, but I can't believe how much progress I've made in such a short space of time.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm still going- Ive just done week 4 and I started to really struggle a bit. I've not managed to run this week do not sure if going into week 5 will be a but painful but we shall see.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggled with week 4 - now I've done it a bit longer it feels much better but I couldn't have gone on to week 5 after just three runs.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Managed 4 miles of intervals this weekend, I'm about to start week 2 of 5-10k and I feel nervous about it!

Got a 10k event on the 1st June, so plan is to get up to running 10k and then worry about increasing time.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Flora, I need to incorporate hill training into my running and I'm dreading it!!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Hands up, I haven't been for two weeks now. Managed to get up to week 3 so going to repeat that this week I think to get back into it. I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks though so will probably start again on week 3 when I get back!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics