Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner January 2011

Country Pub for Picturesque, Budget Wedding in South Manchester/Cheshire + 10-15 miles

seepa10, 26 of November of 2012 at 16:52 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello to Brides to Be,

Having read numerous blog posts and scoured the web for options, I'm turning to the Forum to ask for your ideas!

I'm currently looking for a licensed country pub to host our wedding ceremony and reception in 2013. We're based in Stockport, so would ideally prefer somewhere within 30-45 mins drive (which opens us up to venues in Cheshire / South Manchester and some parts of Lancashire and Derbyshire).

We have decided on a pub/inn setting as we want to create an informal, welcoming, relaxed and intimate feel for our relatively small party of 40-50 day guests, 80-100 evening guests. However, independent hotels, civic halls, golf/cricket clubs would still be considered - provided they are not overly formal or lacking in character. Somewhere with accommodation would be preferable, but again is not essential.

Ideally, I'm hoping to find somewhere that has a light, modern/refurbished interior with great food and service, plus somewhere with a picturesque backdrop for our photos.

The additional factor is our venue budget (c.£3000 give or take £500), which seems to be drastically below the other descriptions of 'budget weddings' on this site. This needs to include the ceremony and reception room hire, wedding breakfast for 40-50 guests, evening buffet/hot sandwiches for 80-100 evening guests - any additions to this, such as room decoration would be a huge advantage.

The only possibility we have found so far is The Bridge Hotel in Macclesfield (http://www.bridge-hotel.co.uk/wedding.html) which is ideal - but we'd really like to have more than one choice for something so important.

If any of you know of any country pubs/inns in picturesque settings that offer a low-cost/value-for-money wedding package, please get in touch to share your ideas!

Thank you!

6 replies

Latest activity by seepa10, 27 of November of 2012 at 17:15
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I have just moved to Glossop and I have heard that The Pack Horse in Hayfield is lovely. The food is supposed to be great and it looks quite fabulously-decorated.

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    seepa10 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for taking the time to help!

I'm from Hadfield originally so I know The Pack Horse - you're absolutely right, it's a lovely pub with great food and a welcoming, cosy (open fires) feel. This is definitely the type of place I'm after, but they'd only be able to offer a reception/function room option and I'm ideally after somewhere that can host the civil ceremony too.

As far as I'm aware they're not licensed, but I'll give them a call and ask the question!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hey, our numbers are very similar to yours- our reception is booked for The Windmill Inn at Tabley we have the place to ourselves.

https://www.thewindmillattabley.co.uk/weddings_functions.html

I don't know if they hold civil ceremonys but Tabley House nearby deff does (we are getting married in church elsewhere)

Hope that helps, any more questions give me a shout!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Oh and our budget is very similar too!

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

I was going to recommend the Bridge as I have delivered a few wedding cakes there. If you want to get married in the venue the best thing to do is contact the registrars in the areas you want as they hold a list of all the venues with wedding licences which should help with your search.

You might look at Worsley Court house for character, its Salford council, Loads of character great catering and management and although they don't have accommodation there is a Novotel and a Marriott both within walking distance

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    seepa10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congratulations on your big day! When are you getting married?

Thanks for the link - The Windmill looks lovely and is definitely the type of place that we're after! I've just sent them an email to see if they are licensed for the civil ceremony or if they know anywhere close by. I've tried Tabley House and it's a bit pricey, but fingers crossed these guys can help.

Was there anywhere else similar to this that you considered? Did you find it hard to come up with venues in your budget or was The Windmill your first choice? I've found very few options in our price bracket so far so it'd be interesting to know your experience.

Thanks for sharing!

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    seepa10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Jules. I've already been on all the council websites, but I don't think that every licensed venue is listed as we've managed to find a few additions to the council lists.

Worsley Court House is beautiful and is probably our back-up choice at the moment - it's within our budget and criteria, the only problem is one of our friend's beat us to it and got married there this summer! As silly as it sounds, we'd both really like somewhere that felt like our idea!!

Have you heard good things about The Bridge? Are there any other venues you've come across on your deliveries? Sounds like you have some insider know-how!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics