Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner

Country/Pub-type venues in Yorkshire/Derbyshire

ktdude, 26 May, 2010 at 13:14 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums - my name is Katy and I got engaged to my boyfriend of 7 years, Stephen, on Christmas Day! We've been quite relaxed about the whole thing so far but as we've set a provisional May/June 2011 date I've realised I'd better get on it!!

After much discussion we think our ideal wedding venue would probably be a nice country pub or possibly hotel. We're currently thinking Yorkshire or possibly Derbyshire as it's roughly in between where our families are from. Does anyone have any specific recommendations or experiences they could share with me about these types of venues? We're quite laid back people really and although we are looking for a fairly traditional format for our wedding (albeit with a civil ceremony) we'd like somewhere with a bit of character and a nice atmosphere.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!

Katy ?

10 replies

Latest activity by ktdude, 4 June, 2010 at 16:33
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations and welcome to Hitched! My daughter is marrying at The Huntsman Inn and Restaurant in Holmfirth which is high up on the moors. It's country, olde worlde with stunning views across the Pennines and the wedding co-ordinator there is brilliant!

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Hi there and many congratulations on the engagement and of course welcome to Hitched! I live in Derbyshire - not sure on Country Pubs for weddings but can highly recommend Hassop Hall near Bakewell. Having filmed there 2 within 5 months the hall is beauitful and you can choose either the Ballroom or the hall itself. Overlooks the countryside has lovely gardens and the staff are wonderful. It is licenced for civil ceremonies

For something less formal (but still stunning) is Breadsall Priory, Derby (which is a big house with a golf course) and again it is licenced for civil ceremonies. Staff are helpful here too.

In Yorkshire - Chevin Country Park Hotel (near Otley/Leeds) - that's nice there too and the staff again (from working experience last August) were very helpful and friendly. Also Marriott Hollins Hill Hotel, Saltaire (nr Bradford), again a golf club but a very nice venue - country manor style house.

Callow Hall, near Ashbourne is very nice.

Just a thought there is the Kedleston Hotel, Derbyshire which is very nice. Our friends had their wedding reception there and it is in the countryside not quite country pub but not OTT either.

If you would like a little bit of an adventure in a small ornate Country setting with Pub and Campsite try Rivendale Caravan Park near Ashbourne. The wedding venue is an old converted barn with pub upstairs - lots of lovely countryside out the back and you can even hire a hot tub. I have camped there many times but they just keep improving it! It is a licenced wedding venue!

Hope you manage to find something - |I found venue hunting quite difficult. x

• K
    Beginner
    ktdude ·
    • Hide content

Ooh lovely, thanks for the suggestions - I'm off to have a look at them all now!! ?

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

Hi, Congratulations! We were the same when we got engaged - last November and getting married this summer but we only booked it a year before...and then still didn't do much for a while after...it's nice to be relaxed!

I'm from derby but live in nottingham now where we're getting married. However we had a look at some lovely places in derbyshire - have a look on google for horsley lodge (in horsley I think!!) it's a golf club, by a beautfiul lake, but it's very relaxed and not very pricey, we thought it was lovely. Also my friend is getting married at donington park farmhouse hotel in castle donnington, which is a converted barn and the civil ceremony takes place in a converted pig sty!!

Good luck and enjoy venue shopping, it's such a nice thing to do, picking where you're going to get married! x

• Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Hi katy

Welcome to Hitched!!

Do you have a preference to which part of Yorkshire you would like to marry in.

I live right on the west/north Yorkshire border (wetherby) & know of a couple of places around here

Debbie

xx

• K
    Beginner
    ktdude ·
    • Hide content

Yes it really is exciting trying to find a place - a bit stressful though! I'm trying to arrange viewings at a few places next weekend but it's proving to be a bit tricky!

Debbie - I'm mostly interested in North Yorkshire to be honest but if I see somewhere I like in other areas I'd be open-minded! If you have any suggestions that would be great!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I've seen some I really like! ?

• Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katy,

A few more to add to your list... Smiley smile

The Red Lion in Burnsall

The Devonshire Arms near Bolton Abbey

I think the Kings Arms at Masham have a licence for weddings

There's Crook Barn, behind (and part of) that pub in Appletreewick

The General Tarleton just outside Knaresborough have just started doing weddings

Simonstone Hall outside Hawes is nice, not really a pub though.

If you want to have a look at some wedding pictures taken at some of these venues, take a look on this website:

www.morgan-photography.co.uk

Ask Morgan to show you some of the images him & his wife have taken at these places - Tell him that I sent you along to him - their photography is amazing

Hope that helps

Debbie

x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I can certainly agree with Debbie on The Red Lion, Burnsall and Devonshire Arms! Had many a Xmas dinner at both over the years. Both have excellent reputations.

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

The Ragley Boat stop in Derbyshire is absolutely beautiful. It's a steak house (obviously they do other food), right next to a canal where you have people stopping in their boats for a drink. The grounds are lovely and would be great for photographs x

• emmy1979
    Rockstar June 2023 West Yorkshire
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katy and welcome to hitched! I live in North Yorks and when researching my venues I looked at the following;

North Yorks

The Coniston Hotel, Coniston Cold, Nr Skipton - went to a wedding here a couple of weekends ago and it was lovely. Food was top. Very much a country venue and has an amazing lake in the grounds.

Red Lion, Burnsall - Country Inn, very small but right next to the river. Very nice for an informal wedding, you can have a BBQ instead of a formal meal.

Devonshire Arms - Very grand, more for a formal wedding. Quite pricey.

Herriots Hotel, Skipton - Very informal, relaxed but great for travel as it's directly opposite railway station.

West Yorks

East Riddlesden Hall - Conversted barn in National trust property. I've taken photographs at a few weddings here and it's very smoothly run. It's pretty beautiful but quite costly.

Victoria hall, Saltaire - I can see this place from my office! Amazing old venue, very vintage style. Very reasonable costs because you bring in your own caterers and corkage is free at the moment.

My venue is just on the N.Yorks/Lancashire border. It's called The Alma Inn in Laneshawbridge. It's a very, very old inn but has been restored really well. It's well out in the country, it's very reasonable (our total is still under £6K for everything, which I'm very proud of ?) but if you're having a lot of guests it might not be suitable. Plus it has rooms discounted for wedding party. They let you do anything there though - we're having bunting, a chequered dancefloor, fireworks, candles and they just keep saying yes, which is great.

Sorry it's turned into an essay but when you don't live in the area I can imagine local knowledge would be quite useful.

• K
    Beginner
    ktdude ·
    • Hide content

Hi again everyone and thanks for all your great replies - you are all so helpful! Emmy, I love the look of your venue by the way - bit too far for us but definitely the kind of place we are looking for!

My OH and I are off to Yorkshire for the weekend to look at 10 venues!! Well, 8 we have appointments for, and 2 more just to have a nosey round, but I hope we'll have a better idea of what we want afterwards. Although my OH has just decided to tell me he thinks he'd rather get married up here, in Northumberland! So I might have to start all over again! Never mind eh.

Just a quick note to say THANKS! and I'll be back soon with my findings and probably more questions! Looking forward to becoming more active on here as the months go by - if our provisional dates are correct, it's a year tomorrow! (Or a year last Sunday!)

Have a great weekend everyone! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics