Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Courtyard Carriages in Bath / general thoughts on horse-drawn carriages

29 March, 2011 at 08:08 Posted on Planning 0 14

Just looking for opinions - I am looking for transport from hotel to ceremony venue, all the wedding car firms seem to want a mint just for two short journeys (about 20 mins there and back to take the bridesmaids, same again for me and my parents, and possibly the photographer). One just quoted me £380 an hour. I'm not spending that much of my budget on what is basically a fancy taxi ride, even if it is one of the most important car journeys of my life.

This firm do horse-drawn carriages which could be fun and romantic, I thought, and they have quoted me a flat rate of £100 which seems comparatively very good. I want to go and see the carriage but won't have a chance for a bit and wondered if anyone knew of them and also had any general thoughts on horse and carriage e.g. downsides I might not have thought of, tips of things to look for, etc. Traffic in Bath is not good so might be a good thing not going in a car... Also wondering how vital it is to go and see it before booking, it all looks fine on the website. I am in Bath sometimes for work (don't live there any more but getting married there) but they are a bit out of the way and I don't drive, so can't easily nip over until I'm there with OH or my mum and one of their cars, which might not be for a while.

I should add the carriage can be closed if necessary though hopefully won't need to in August (shouldn't say that)!

14 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 28 February, 2013 at 15:22
  • Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I love them but thats because I own a horse and have grown up with horses in my life.

Just a few points to note is how far it would be between venues as they are not as quick as cars plus they usually have a distance limit and if outside that limit you will have to get a car to a meeting point and then use the horse and carriage just to go the last mile or so so its best to check this out with them first.

Nat

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

I think its a great idea - this is what I am thinking of doing too! Our church is literally a 2 min walk from our reception venue, but horses are a huge part of my life and it would be really special to have a horse and carriage. £100 is a really good price too! Smiley smile xx

• Gothic_Bride2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Gothic_Bride2011 ·
    • Hide content

£100 is an amazing price!

We are having a horse and carriage to get me to the venue. It is quite a distance, and I will be in the carriage for around an hour (apparently if it was any further we would have to meet up on the way)

The carriage is a Landau, and the horses are black - it all goes with my Victorian theme. However, because of the distance they have to travel to get to us, and the distance of the journey - its costing a blooming fortune (I grew up with horses and totally understand where you guys are coming from with how special it is, so its totally worth it...)

Then we are going to the reception in a vintage jag, as the horses will have done enough work by then.

Sam

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

If you visit them anniepie I'd love to hear how you get on! Our wedding is going to be near Bath too Smiley smile

• Gothic_Bride2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Gothic_Bride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Great Mood Board Anniepie! Thanks - I LOVE anything Victorian.... (and I totally lucked out with the vintage car - Best Man owns one so for free - otherwise it wouldn't be happening!)

Good luck with the horses!

Sam xx

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    lisaree ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking of using Courtyard carriages. Can you please give me some feedback if you used them? My mums a little worried cos pics on their website are from 2006 but i love the look of their horses.

Many Thanks

Lisa

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I don't want to rain on this one --but if it is raining and cold, not quite so romantic, but if you have grown up with horses then you know this, and don't expect to have just some romantic time in the carriage with your OH as a horse and carriage does tend to attract a lot of attention from the public, good and bad, stuff like shouting "well done" and "Don't do it" (even though clearly you already have done it)

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    lisaree ·
    • Hide content

I've had my own horses for 25 years so weather doesn't bother me. Although i'm sure the OH would rather a dry car if the weather is bad!lol. Also i'm getting married on the outskirts of Wellington which is just country lanes so won't have anything like that happening.

Thanks for the advice though

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Its when you go through town centres at lunch time or eairly afternoon (when most weddings are) and people have been drinking.

Here is a shot that I posted on another thread about retouching hope that it may inspire

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    lisaree ·
    • Hide content

That is fantastic work you do!

Luckily i won't be going through any towns etc and the chances are i won't see anyone walking and prob a max of 3 cars. It's the only part i've had of a dream wedding since a little girl is to have a horse and carriage so i will enjoy every second of it even if the weather is awful. Fingers crossed it doesn't though as we are having a marquee recpetion in my parents field.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for that

Here is another horse before and after and some other horse and bride shots. I have to say that horse and carraige shots are tricky to do as to get everything in and see the bride and groom you do have to move back and then the subject is small.Hope that you do not mind me posting so many pics

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics