Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Clare _ M
Beginner July 2007

Cous Cous Salad Ideas

Clare _ M, 7 of April of 2009 at 13:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I've developed a bit of a taste for cous cous and wondered if anyone's got some fab recipe ideas they could share? I've made it with roasted vegetables this week (3 colour peppers, courgette and red onion) so looking for ideas that don't involve them.

Could I put fish with it or would that be horrid? I'm thinking something like salmon and brocolli and/or leeks or should it be just vegetable based?

9 replies

Latest activity by clair_de_lune, 7 of April of 2009 at 20:16
  • KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

I tend to make up a bowl with roasted veg like you have already said and add either shellfish or meat to make it more of a meal. Roasted chicken breasts with lemon & corriander being one of my favourites.

I don't see why brocolli and salmon wouldn't work. In fact I might give that a go myself. I'll let you know if it's nice ?

• Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant, thanks. I've got enough to last me this week so would be good to have a guinea pig for next weeks! ?

I'm trying to eat it with super foods.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

It's lovely with a hot salsa or salsa verde and smoked mackerel.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Fry chopped courgette and red pepper until softened, towards the end stir a load of ras al hanout and cook out (without burning) .

Stir through warm cous cous (I make mine with vegetable stock, and always stir through some olive oil first - I find it helps stop the grains sticking).

When cooled, add sliced spring onion, toasted pine nuts, little cubes of dried apricot. Maybe some presh parsley or coriander finely chopped. Finally dress with a little more olive oil and some fresh lemon juice.

Looks stunning, and has always been popular with guests.

• lmsunshine99
    Beginner August 2004
    lmsunshine99 ·
    • Hide content

I do it with roast veg and haloumi cheese, it is lovely.

• Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, they all sound delicious.

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

/recipes/beet-spinach-goats-cheese-couscous

/recipes/grilled-halloumi-spiced-couscous - this one is lovely!

• Carrie74
    Beginner June 2007
    Carrie74 ·
    • Hide content

I have it with stir fried med veg (peppers, mushrooms and courgette if in season), with a little soy sauce added, stir a spoonful of red or aubergine pesto through couscous and steamed (in microwave) salmon. Whole thing only takes me 5 mins to make, and it's one of my faves.

• clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

I also do the roasted vegetable version (with or without halloumi or feta).

Once you have your base (I make my with chicken stock, a bit of olive oil, some chilli flakes and lashings of black pepper) you can experiment with what you have in your fridge.

eta Mildred- your's sounds nom. I've added it to my 'hitched recipes' document. It's sitting under SophieM's 'Potage a la Jade' which I've not made yet but that's just given me inspiration for the chorizo I have in the fridge. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics