Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mica
Beginner August 2021 Hertfordshire

covid Wedding warning

Mica, 27 of August of 2020 at 18:48 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 4

Hi All,

Huge word of warning for any brides planning a wedding, especially weddings abroad and in France.

We had planned our wedding this year and everything was going perfectly. We'd pretty much finished planning and paid our balances for the venue and suppliers in February 2020.

Then the reality of COVID hit and our wedding was completely up in the air. We got in touch with our venue (La Cannonerie in the South of France) to confirm that should things not be possible to go ahead we could postpone. They replied a harsh email to say that our date was our date and regardless of the situation we wouldn't be able to postpone or get any money back.

We held on for 5 months, and each month it was becoming more and more evident that the wedding was not going to be possible, with guests numbers, cancelled flights and travel restrictions getting worse and worse everyday.

Now the wedding date has passed and we are without a wedding, without any money and arguing daily with the venue to try and recoup our money back. The venue are refusing to refund anything more than 50% so we are thousands of pounds down with them.

Our suppliers also haven't worked all year, so they haven't worked all year and have spent the year living off the money that their brides and grooms paid them in advance. Some suppliers are being reasonable, the florist refunded us less the deposit straight away. The furniture hire company are negotiating with us on a payment plan, although it seems like we won't be getting the money back anytime soon.

Naming and shaming the caterers 'The Hog King' have been so awful, they have spent all of the money we paid in advance (over 4,000 euros) and are refusing to give us the money back or even agree a date on when they can pay small instalments back. Their emails are so rude, they barely say anything back on the phone.

Please as a word of warning do not book this venue or these caterers if you are planning on getting married in the South of France! And please do not advance pay your venue/suppliers in full until as late as possible, as it's a real struggle to get any money back and the most agonising thing arguing with these people who have no empathy for your situation.

I really hope no one else is in a similar situation to us I wouldn't wish it upon anyone!!!

4 replies

Latest activity by Bruce, 14 of May of 2021 at 05:59
  • H
    Beginner May 2021
    HappyRedCars17397 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mica

Just wondering if you had any luck in the ends recovering money? Do you know if we are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 despite the wedding/suppliers being in France?

Thanks

• Mica
    Mica ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Zara,

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it and really happy you managed to get your deposit back. Do you mind if I ask if your venue were based in the UK? We're struggling as the venue and caterers are based in France so can't use an English solicitors.
    Thanks againMica
  • Mica
    Mica ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for your reply, so sorry for the delay in getting back to you I've only just seen this. We haven't been able to recover any money yet, do you have any advice on how we could use that act to pursue getting our money back?

Thanks againMica
  • Z
    Dedicated June 2021 West Midlands
    Zara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes they are UK based. Thank you, they did a good job as I was so stressed out. I hope you find something similar and manage to get your deposit back hun x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics