Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AKWedding
Beginner August 2015

Cracking the colour scheme/flower conundrum

AKWedding, 11 of December of 2015 at 21:52 Posted on Planning 0 7

I've been meaning to post photos for a while now because I am so chuffed with how things turned out!

We didn't have a definite colour scheme from the outset. I wanted pink for the BMs dresses for a summer wedding because I wanted a soft, romantic look. My OH didn't want to wear pink, and wanted blue instead.

We didn't have a lot of money in the budget for flowers, but still wanted fresh flowers (I just love the smell of fresh flowers).

I love gypsophila, and saw some great pics of pew ends on the internet, and decided I must have them, it's a nice way of decorating the ceremony room:

We bought a bunch of gypsophila from the local market stall, some white ribbon, and made these pew ends ourselves.

For the centrepieces, we kept it simple by going for lilies. We bought these from the market stall earlier in the week and put them in water so they would open in time for the wedding:

The wedding breakfast was taking place in the orangery so lots of natural light and it didn't need a lot of decorating. Here's a view of the room:

The 'vases' are actually carafes from Ikea. Originally £1 each but at the time we bought them, they had increased in price by 50% to £1.50.

7 replies

Latest activity by AKWedding, 16 of December of 2015 at 12:27
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Simple and it looks absolutely stunning. I love gypsophillia.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

For the BMs bouquets, we kept it simple with pink roses and gypsophila:

These were from our local market stall, £25 for each BM bouquet.

I managed to convince my OH to wear pale blue rather than any other shade of blue so we could claim we had a pastel colour scheme. I thought my bouquet had to include some blue in it to bring all the colours together but there aren't a lot of naturally blue flowers around. I found some inspiration on the internet, and went for pink roses and blue hydrangea:

£50 for the Bride's bouquet.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

So colours were sorted but we had a lot of different flowers (gypsophila, pink roses, blue hydrangea, lilies) and we needed to bring this together as well otherwise it would looked like we had chosen some random flowers without any link to each other. Our florist sorted this with a stunning top table arrangement incorporating all these flowers:

£50. We used this in the ceremony room, and then moved it to the Head Table for the wedding breakfast.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

We decided to go for a Flower Cake Topper. Pink roses, blue hydrangea and gyp:

£10. I was really happy when I saw the cake topper as this was the one thing I didn't have a photo for to show the florist, and it turned out fine on the day.

We spent approx. £250 on flowers. I had a massive headache for a couple of weeks trying to think how to bring all these elements together (really should have planned it out right from the start!) but I think it worked out fine and it seemed fairly cohesive.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

The flowers all went together beautifully.

• S
    Beginner May 2017
    Slink ·
    • Hide content

I love the blue and pink together in your bouquet. The colours look great together.

And also thank you for saying romantic colour scheme. I've been trying to think of a way to describe the muted pastelly colours I want and have not been able to think of a suitable phrase!

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies for your comments! Slink - Glad that I have helped you describe your colour scheme! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics