Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rubyfirecracker
Beginner November 2013

Crafty/ Budget Brides

rubyfirecracker, 11 October, 2012 at 23:26

Posted on Planning 143

Hey All, I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can share our crafty or money-saving ideas! We have a budget of £3000. Our venue is super cheap and super priddy! I'm having Vivien of Holloway dress so my outfit comes in at a lot less than the average bride's knickers! We're...

Hey All,

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can share our crafty or money-saving ideas!

We have a budget of £3000. Our venue is super cheap and super priddy! I'm having Vivien of Holloway dress so my outfit comes in at a lot less than the average bride's knickers! Smiley tongue We're eschewing suits in favour of braces and bow ties. BM's are paying for themselves. Here's my outfit:

http://pinterest.com/rubyfirecracker/my-outfit/

Things we are making:

Brooch bouquets, swirl lollies to make into a bouquet for my lollipop (flower) girl, bunting (lots of), table plans, a photo booth (donated vintage cameras, chalk board speech bubbles, home made props and fabric backdrop), paper pinwheel centrepieces, buttonholes made from felt, scrabble signs, table numbers, kids activity books, pompoms, dolls of us for cake topper, stuffed dolls of us for photo booth, gingham tablecloths, BM gifts, paper flowers, jam favours

Things other people are donating to us for free:

Wedding cake, cakes for pudding buffet, car and driver (OHs dad!), Photography (friend), Hairdresser (friend), Ukulele band (playing for food!), 2 singer songwriter pals playing, 6 DJs playing (we have a northern soul DJ, a 60s girl groups DJ, 2 x 60s garage DJs, 1 x 60s reggae DJ and 1 x 80s alternative DJ - yippee), time to set up the room, veggie food, kids buffet and salads, stationery (designer friend), cake plates for cake buffet

Things we are getting dead cheap:

His gear, my gear, BM dresses (£30 each, paying for themselves), Hog Roast (from a local farm £500 for 200 big servings), Rings (Argos I'm afraid - we are both terrible scatty and likely to lose them plus we don't really like jewellery!), venue (£750 all day- and honest, its lovely - see http://rowheathpavilion.co.uk )

I am so interested to see all of you budget/ crafty brides's plans too, partly cos I think it's an ace way to do a wedding, and partly cos I want to nick some of them Smiley laugh My big day inspirations are all here: http://pinterest.com/rubyfirecracker/weddingy-things/

143 replies

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh my! those are lovely! that's so unique!

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yours too - so geeky! I love it Smiley smile

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Just to add to the ideas basket, these are my new haunts:

https://offbeatwed.com/

http://whengeekswed.com/

And since we have some midland brides here, anyone going to this unique wedding fayre with a twist? http://www.allaboutewe.co.uk/

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love offbeat bride, will check out when geeks wed. I didnt know about the fayre, but I fancy it now. Just need to check my diary as might be working. I'm allllways working!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I loved Rock and roll bride when I was planning

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Same Smiley smile

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What a fantastic job I'd love to do something like that. I do learning support in a junior school but I'm looking for a change. I've just completed a mentoring cause and i'm about to start a children's mentoring cause.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

No way! Well I run Sandwell Short Breaks for autism west midlands. We've just recruited a load of sessional workers, but will maybe be doing more in Jan. It's just weekend/ school holiday, we have no full time positions at the mo, but we're looking to expand into walsall borough so there may well be. 'Like' autism west midlands on facebook to keep up to date Smiley smile

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Which school are you at? I may know it

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

O_O

I must have these ... must bake more

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I mean this is a nice way, but Elixia, you are like every 14 year old boy's dream wife ?

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL! Do you KNOW how often i hear that?! all of my mates are male and hear it everyday. apparently they're pretty sure i wasn't born but manufactured! (like weird science)

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have been at Glebefields for 7 years but was at Jubilee before that. I'll keep checking FB, , thanks for letting me know.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know it Smiley smile We have at least one kid from there, maybe more (there's about 70 we work with in total across the borough). I'll pop some stuff in the post to the head.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I mean you still want to look like you. I'm sure you could hire an expensive make up artist who does you up all different, but I know my style and would rather stick to it. Only reason I'm having a hairdresser is cos I can't build a monumental beehive on top of my own head without my arms seizing up!!!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Best to send it too , our senco

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Okee, will do Loveska Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I love this thread! We've only just started planning but have been hoping to do quite a few things ourselves so that we can have the fabulous venue we want. I say 'we' but it's probably going to mostly be me and a couple of friends doing the making! Plus my SIL makes wonderful cakes and has said she'd make ours as our present.

I've checked out your pinterest rubyfirecracker and you've got some amazing things on there.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I've only just stumbled across this thread - your Pinterest board is amazing! Are those (absolutely gorgeous) shoes easy to walk in? I've spotted a pair on the same website that I've fallen in love with but as the aisle I'm walking down is really long, I don't want to risk any wobbles (though I'm good at walking in heels).

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope so! I highly doubt it, as I am not great in heels anyway since having an operation a couple of years ago. I tend to resemble a brickie in drag walking in heels.

I haven't decided on the actual pair yet, but no doubt I will kick them off after the ceremony and be running around the park in bare feet with my giant windmills with legs covered in mud.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

You should totally go with Dudley town hall missrae, it's lush and sooooo cheap!

Outside catering is no problem - what are you after. I'm sure you can find something awesome - how much is your budget? I've got a hog roast from a farm that is £500 for 200 good portions - the farmer is doing it himself Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner October 2013
    rachd23 ·
    • Hide content

I am trying to do as much as I can for my wedding. I have begun making the invitations for the day and the evening. I am making my own cake and cup cakes. My MIL2B is doing all the table flowers.

I have been given loads of little white boxes which I am going to put the favours in and also put people names on each box and double them up as place setting cards.

My FIL2B is a photographer so we are saving a fortune on that and we have a family member who will be able to film and then edit the event for us.

My colour scheme is cadbury purple and silver.

We got a package deal at the hotel for £3,000 which meant we got a 3 course wedding breakfast for 60 people, 1/2 bottle wine per person, a glass of sparkling wine for the toast, dj, 4 complementary rooms plus a room for me and oh, buffet for 60 people.

I am loving making things

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

I wish I was as creative as some of you! We're on a tight budget of around 5K including contributions from my parents and grandparents.

Our venue is amazing value - £2000 all in, including 3 course wedding breakfast, drinks and evening buffet and disco:

http://www.kursaalfunctions.com/

I already have my dress which was £450 (and paid for by my nan and grandad). We're not hiring a photographer but have asked friends and family (one of which is a retired photographer) to share the duty and take informal pictures throughout the day.

We're not having flowers assuch - myself and the bridesmaids will have silk bouquets which I've seen online for around £35 and for the tables we'll have Marrakech lanterns with butterfly decorations or similar.

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

Hi mandspice

Just had to say hi to another essex bride! *waves hello!*

I didn't know the Kursal did weddings, how fab!

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Hi Stoice!

I'm actually an imposter as I live in East London ?

My friend and bridesmaid lives in Southend and she recommended it after she went to a wedding there so we thought "why not".

Do you live in Southend?

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

I live in Colchester but work in Southend, by the airport. (Bit of a drive TBH, Ho-hum)

I see you're not having a Pro TOG to cut costs. I understand you have friends who could do this but as it's the main record of your day, have you considered half-day cover or a cd only package? Your friends pics could then be an added bonus and the pressure is off them. My friend is a photographer of weddings, but I want her there as a guest and to feel relaxed. (Any snaps she makes would be great though!)

• MillieM00
    Beginner March 2014
    MillieM00 ·
    • Hide content

I am another crafty bride. So far I am making:

Invites

Favours (Shamballa bracelets)

My bouquet (Brooch/Crystal/ Bead type of thing)

Centrepieces

and probably more that I've forgotten. Next thing on my crafty list to try is french beaded roses for my bouquet. If they turn out okay I may replace the silk flowers for my centrepieces with these as our theme is 'precious gems'

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did look into having a professional for a couple of hours but they still wanted £250 - £300 for their time and a few prints (5 - 8) with the disc and more prints were extra. I understand that TOGs have a very skilled job and they definitely earn their money but it's just not in our budget to have a professional. My uncle's a pro who has retired and, like you, I didn't want to put pressure on him to have to record the whole day. He's offered to take some post-ceremony pics though and another friend who is handy with a camera will take pics of me getting ready etc. Then we'll choose a few more artistic friends with good cameras to take other pics. In some ways I like this idea more as it will give the pics a very personal touch. And hopefully we'll get a few decent shots!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Save the date are going to be printed this weekend!!

me and my OH managed to smooth out all of the graphic problems, finally decided on fonts and these SHOULD be printed on saturday when OH gets round to it! They're gonna be magnetic so they stick on the fridge :B

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

This is a good place for buttons http://www.beadandbuttoncompany.co.uk/ and I also have a few on my website https://www.3djewellery.co.uk/cheap-buttons-for-button-bouquets.html along with some instructions on how to make a button bouquet https://www.3djewellery.co.uk/instructions-on-how-to-make-a-button-bouquet.html

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Missrae!

saw this and thought of you! http://offbeatbride.com/2012/11/afternoon-tea-menu

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

If you're buying fabric in a shop specially for it, you can normally tell from how it is on the roll, whether it's prone to fraying. Good fabric scissor are still pretty pricey though but I have some because I love sewing. Luckily there is a really good fabric store near us (The Bankrupt Store - sells quality seconds and end of line stuff) tand they cahrge £3.50pm on full price fabric or £1 pm on sale items.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics