Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rubyfirecracker
Beginner November 2013

Crafty/ Budget Brides

rubyfirecracker, 11 October, 2012 at 23:26

Posted on Planning 143

Hey All, I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can share our crafty or money-saving ideas! We have a budget of £3000. Our venue is super cheap and super priddy! I'm having Vivien of Holloway dress so my outfit comes in at a lot less than the average bride's knickers! We're...

Hey All,

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we can share our crafty or money-saving ideas!

We have a budget of £3000. Our venue is super cheap and super priddy! I'm having Vivien of Holloway dress so my outfit comes in at a lot less than the average bride's knickers! Smiley tongue We're eschewing suits in favour of braces and bow ties. BM's are paying for themselves. Here's my outfit:

http://pinterest.com/rubyfirecracker/my-outfit/

Things we are making:

Brooch bouquets, swirl lollies to make into a bouquet for my lollipop (flower) girl, bunting (lots of), table plans, a photo booth (donated vintage cameras, chalk board speech bubbles, home made props and fabric backdrop), paper pinwheel centrepieces, buttonholes made from felt, scrabble signs, table numbers, kids activity books, pompoms, dolls of us for cake topper, stuffed dolls of us for photo booth, gingham tablecloths, BM gifts, paper flowers, jam favours

Things other people are donating to us for free:

Wedding cake, cakes for pudding buffet, car and driver (OHs dad!), Photography (friend), Hairdresser (friend), Ukulele band (playing for food!), 2 singer songwriter pals playing, 6 DJs playing (we have a northern soul DJ, a 60s girl groups DJ, 2 x 60s garage DJs, 1 x 60s reggae DJ and 1 x 80s alternative DJ - yippee), time to set up the room, veggie food, kids buffet and salads, stationery (designer friend), cake plates for cake buffet

Things we are getting dead cheap:

His gear, my gear, BM dresses (£30 each, paying for themselves), Hog Roast (from a local farm £500 for 200 big servings), Rings (Argos I'm afraid - we are both terrible scatty and likely to lose them plus we don't really like jewellery!), venue (£750 all day- and honest, its lovely - see http://rowheathpavilion.co.uk )

I am so interested to see all of you budget/ crafty brides's plans too, partly cos I think it's an ace way to do a wedding, and partly cos I want to nick some of them Smiley laugh My big day inspirations are all here: http://pinterest.com/rubyfirecracker/weddingy-things/

143 replies

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

My dress is my big bargain. I saw on facebook that a someone had mentioned a bridal shop closing down and having a sale. I went in there on the last day and tried a few things on. I tried my dress and although it was loads too small for me, I bought it for £150. It's been a wonderful inspiration for the wedding diet as I was determined not to have any alterations. I've lost 40lb and it nearly fits. I'm borrowing my veil from my sister-in-law and a tiara from a friend. Some shoes and I'll be set but I'm sure, as my dress is floor length, I'll find something suitable for £20 in a sale somewhere.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I was just reading that too!

Hurray for pinking shears missrae Smiley winking flash your efforts!

I've started on my button bouquet, need to do loads more than I anticipated but will flash later!

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Ooh yes I forgot about that.

Seriously, you could do it easily peasily! Whn are you in Dudley next? Perhaps I could help you? Smiley smile

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

What an absolutely terrific idea! I think that sounds lush. I want to collect postcards and old photos of vintage weddings and incorporate them in some way.

Instead of making bunting with those pictures, you could peg them using mini or decorated pegs to a length of string and hang them up as a garland. You could even print them all out as postcards, along with some nice printed out quotes etc and get people to sign the backs and peg them to the string to make an alternative guestbook!

Xmas sounds good to me, we could meet up and then I would be delighted to help you with your figures, they don't take long but I can't promise they will be amazing. If you buy the kit, I'll paint them for you Smiley smile

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I live in Edgbaston, I'm not far from Dudley. Am round that way all the time cos of work.

The kits were 'mystyle japanese friendship dolls' they cost about £8 and come with paint I don't use (I use my own paints for them). Can't get animals as far as I know, but you could probably make some from clay. I have a massive supply of clay, I could have a go for you. Would need piccies of you and OH.

I actually have about 10 days off at Xmas which is exciting so yes, if you want to meet up and we can talk dollies Smiley smile

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Save the dates flash!

also those MyStyle japanese dolls look like a great idea! I might get OH to green stuff some bit onto them.

EDIT:okay seriously, why are all posted images coming out squashed? that is rather annoying!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I would love to meet up ladies, , , ?

Ruby you can have a copy of my parents wedding photo if you want. My mom is wearing a lovely Mod style suit with a fur collar, with a massive big beehive, , ,

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Elixia- loving your stationery. A lot of the teenagers I work with (who have aspergers) are very geeky, and if I asked them if they could pick any wife, they would definitely choose you! I hold out hope that there are many more like you just waiting to snap my young men up one day!

Midlands girls - yup, just let me know where and when. This would be fun Smiley smile

Not sure if I can make a breed of dog, as my knowledge of dogs stretches to 'big or small', but send me a piccie and I'll have a bash, why not. There is always Kharv on here too, who is very good at them.

Loveska, would loooooooooooove a copy of that pic! I'm having my foster parents pic from 1962 which is lush. My foster-mum wore a knee'length gown and my foster-dad a blue two tone suit! OH's parents wedding pics are ace - she crocheted herself a daisy hat which she has still got and said I could have (though I have a much bigger head, so doubt it would fit!)

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

You want him with or without tongue? ?

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

d'aaww how sweet! my OH has a cousin with aspergers, he's dead sweet. very shy unless you mention rollercoasters! he loves them! I personally love him to bits, he's endearing

• S
    Beginner November 2012
    syzygygoth ·
    • Hide content

OMG love these! We're getting married in Japan and having a Japanese themed reception here and this would be PERFECT!

Thanks for the inspiration!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I am trying to find something that we can use in order to have a photo display. I was hoping for a vintage-y wooden clothes horse but I can't track anything down here in DK, though to be fair I haven't started looking in second hand furniture shops yet. That's the next item on my list to get, or something that would perform the same function.

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not quite sure what you had in mind but on Pinterest I've seen photos displayed sitting in the slats of some window shutters. The louvre door type ones. Or a window with lots of panels and a photo in each also looked good.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

All your ideas are amazing!!!

Ruby your outfit and hair are going to be amazing. Your tog friend is going to have a field day. Is she/he a pro tog?

I'll have to show you one of my brides who had irregular choice shoes with wings on. You'll love them!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooooh, I shall take a look! I've been searching Pinterest for alternatives and didn't think of window shutters. Thanks for that - I'll check that out this afternoon ?

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

Can't find any on Pinterest now, I should've pinned them.

I've had a google up instead. Here's a couple...

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, and I think the windows were tables plans, not for photos. But still a lovely idea though...

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Wow stoice, thanks for googling that - much appreciated! I love the window shutters actually - that's definitely something I'll be able to track down here. The window also looks lovely - might have to nick that idea for a table plan.

They are now getting added to Pinterest ?

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

?

• M
    Marysmsmt ·
    • Hide content

Hello, i'm the crafty type too. Rubyfirecracker we're having the same dress (VoH) but i'm wearing converse with mine! And i'm making a fabric bouquet too x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I'm loving this thread! Budget with style..

I've bought a sample dress £200, x2 Dessy Bridesmaid dresses £240 (bit expensive lol) button bouquet and invitations added up to another £100.

Venue will be £2500 (which includes rooms for every guest for one night) and £500 for catering. No linen hire as it's ivory and perfect, no fresh flowers (artificial for BM's and button holes, pew ends for the church) hair and make up done by 2 of my guests who are my best friends, tog is youngest daughters best friend. No transport as the hotel is across the road from the church, so we're going to walk..i really hope for good weather or it will be wellies and brollies!

OH can sort out rings and his suit so that doesn't really count ? After looking through some great ideas I've got a wish tree and started building up things to do for the guests as we're not having any evening entertainment. It's a bit of a scary thought but we're only having 30 guests and we're not getting married until 1630hrs. My thoughts go from; it will be ok with an iPod as it's a small room, cosy environment to OMG what if everyone just gets bored and goes to bed ?

Just need shoes but don't want wedding ones so I can use them after, I'm still looking for ideas, kitten heels with a flower or something.

It's nice to be able to discuss how to shop on the cheap without compromising on style...I'm loving this, thank you everyone x

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I made a load of bunting yesterday for my friends baby shower. I cut strips of fabric, folded it, secured it with a couple of pins and then cut it.

That way you cut 4 or 5 at a time.

(Would be great to meet up when you come home, we could go to the German market one evening if you fancied it).

• ChicBride
    Beginner July 2015
    ChicBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi...nice ideas you all got here...Since my wedding is still far away... and we want to have a cheap but elegant wedding... We're planning on doing some wedding stuff by ourselves like decorations, centerpiece, save our dates, flower girls dress, table decorations, and etc. As of now I am collecting jars for my wedding centerpiece. I want to have something like these two - http://pinterest.com/pin/428545720761702101/ and http://pinterest.com/pin/428545720761702104/ , so I sure need a lot of recycled jars. I still need to clean them thoroughly.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Sorry if this has already been mentioned throughout the thread but is anyone making buttonholes? If so, how are you doing this as this is something I'd also like to do ?

• bexjoe
    Beginner May 2013
    bexjoe ·
    • Hide content

We are having our reception on the Golden Hinde ship. For our invites, we bought some little glass bottles with corks in from ebay (china) and we are aging some paper to make into scroll invites. We are also putting a little sand in the bottom of the bottle so it looks like a message in a bottle.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Bexjoe what an amazing venue!! I'd be in my element.

My Sister did that for her invites for her uk party as she got marred in Mexico. They went down so well.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I'm up for meeting whenever - weekends are a little full in December as we have so much on with the kids at work Smiley smile but Sundays are generally fine for me.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Ye could meet somewhere quieter first. Would depend on the time on Sunday cause H's family are coming up from Essex and I'm not sure what time they will be leaving, would have to be late afternoon or evening I would think. I'm free most evenings.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm planning on making the mens ones from red felt, wire and buttons.

See my pinterest boards - there are loaaaaaaaads of examples on there and they are dead easy. Been making 'prototypes' but it depends on the look you're going for.

For my mum, foster mums and OHs mum, I am threading beads onto wire and making beaded ones a bit like this http://m.lovebouquets.co.uk/Buttonholes-Corsages.html (scroll down). Am halfway through making my first one and the beads cost me about £1 from a bead shop in the market. Wire is pennies, especially if you buy from online.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You guys decide on a date and place and I will be there. What are we thinking? Coffee or something stronger? Smiley laugh

missrae, if you're on facebook, hit me up (youth speak, im so trendy) and we'll organise it Smiley laugh

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Daffodil, I forgot to tell you, no my tog is my friend who has a decent camera, an iPad to make them look all vintage-like and a keen amateur interest in photography. He's doing a few weddings to build up a bit of a portfolio. He loves 1950s cheesecake pictures, so I trust his style and judgement Smiley laugh

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Might be worth a peep at my website if you need little head oieces or fascinators which are affordable. it is a new business so i would be grateful for any feedback.

Thank you

www.weddingfascinator.co.uk

Lemon violet facebook page

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics