Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

50's pin up bride
Beginner July 2012

Crafty hitchers.... gilding flakes??

50's pin up bride, 1 July, 2012 at 22:18 Posted on Planning 0 4

Beginning to regret our spur of the moment purchase yesterday. We're having a wish tree and wanted luggage tags with a leaf stamped on the back for guests to the write on. We couldn't find *quite* the luggage tags in the size we wanted, so we decided to make our own. That's fine - nearly done.

Then we couldn't find the stamp we wanted... and in the craft shop, they had a rather nice template. And gilding flakes. Which we were lead to believe wouldn't be so tricky to put on... oh my life. We've had several practices and having cracked it yet... we have 100 tags to do and the wedding is in less than 3 weeks - oh, and we both work full time, and are away all next weekend - I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

So, does anyone have any experience of using gilding flakes? The man in the shop adviced sponging PVA on, then placing the flakes on, and then dusting off with a blusher brush. This isn't providing the extremely smooth, flat effect that he showed us in the examples. I've tried rubbing it with a clean finger, as seen in some youtube vids, but that just seems to pull the flakes off the card onto my finger. I get a beautifully gilded finger though!

Any other ideas?

4 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 4 July, 2012 at 16:43
  • JustaBitofFluff
    Beginner May 2013
    JustaBitofFluff ·
    • Hide content

Ok, not sure how much help this will be but you never know (Ive never done it on paper...)

I apply the glue and then put the gold leaf onto the glue gently pushing it down with a relatively firm soft bristle brush - similar to a eye make up brush - if there are any gaps I apply more, once I think it is all covered I very gently blow on it to remove excess bits, or very very softly brush with a soft brush. If i need to burnish it to smooth it i use a metal or agate burnisher and rub gently with it once im sure the glue is dry and the pieces are well adhered.

Is it the pva that is causing the roughness or is it the flakes not going on well ? if it is the pva you could try a spray adhesive like spray mount ?

hope that helps and you get it done ok ?

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

The lady on this tutorial uses a sponge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_raa9__XV0

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both! I think part of the problem was putting too much PVA on / trying to put them on too soon, so I've now been sponging on the glue and leaving it for a few seconds (usually just enough time to get the glue on another couple of tags). Then I've put the flakes on and pressed them down with clean fingers, and again left them like that to dry thoroughly before brushing off carefully, and then burnishing it with my finger.

I *think* we've cracked it, but it's not a quick or easy job!

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's great - sounds such a lovely idea

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Have a look at the video clips on the qvc website. They sell gilding flakes.

Hope that helps

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics