Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

knitting_vixen
Beginner September 2011

crafty hitchers- how best to attach buttons to card

knitting_vixen, 16 February, 2011 at 12:44 Posted on Planning 0 3

I can't find any place cards I like, so I thought I would make some by buying plain placecards and attaching 3 small vintage buttons in the corner of each.

I love knitting and sewing so I think it would be nice to incorporate my hobby into the decor.

Anyone know the best way to attach plastic to card? Would a glue gun be a good idea or might it dissolve the card? Would I be better to use PVA (I want to avoid as it's messy and can look crap) or should I sew them onto the card?

3 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 16 February, 2011 at 14:24
  • Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

I would sew them onto the card, probably more faffy but I would worry about glue showing through the holes, if you know what I mean! We're planning to do something similar with our invitations and orders of service, sewing them and all the inserts together.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Glue guns work fine to stick buttons on, I have stuck them onto paper in my scrapbook fine.

• Kitty824
    Beginner December 2011
    Kitty824 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what BB said but I would definately 'sew' thread into the holes to make it look like they were sewn on as buttons with nothing in the holes look bare IMO. If you really wanted to sew them on you could use a paper piercer to make holes and then sew them on that way. With shanks buttons I would break of the shank file the back down and glue gun it on.

HTH x

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, I will do some experimenting. I want to start tonight, but I am going to my knitting club. Will make a start tmw.

Will also trial the lacy jam jars (that I think you flashed BB)...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics