Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

Cravats

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 1 February, 2011 at 16:14 Posted on Planning 0 8

How hard is it to tie one properly? Correction: how hard is it for boys to tie one properly? Do the "pre-tied" ones look rubbish with a winged collar (because you can see the clip)?

8 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 3 February, 2011 at 11:00
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

OK, sounds like pre-tied ones might be the way to go. The clip only looks like the ones you get on pre-tied bow ties, which nobody seems to worry about Smiley smile

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

No idea but I'm thinking pre-tied would be best. I dont want any last-minute panics!

xxx

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

They are easy-peasy. Here is a You Tube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-uQRzfndxg

The knot is similar to a four in hand (school type knot). It is really simple, if you are worried about nerves, get someone to save the video on their phone and just look at it to remind yourselves on the day.

The ready tied ones are great too, but it does depend on the type of cravat and the type of shirt. Some of the neckbands have a clip and a slide for adjustment, if the neck band is loose inside the cravat, you can spin the neck band around and hide the clip under the wing of the shirt, (but you can't hide the adjustment slide). If you can't move the neck band around you will see both the clip and the slide and this is bad. Also if the wings on the shirt are small traditional ones (like a dress shirt) then the clip and slide will both be visible. A swept back wing, victorian collar or normal collar shirt will all hide the clip (if the neck band can move around).

I personally prefer ready-tied cravats, they are more uniform and easier to use but you have make sure it is the right type of cravat and the right type of shirt. ?

Marc

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

I was having the same dilemma, because we are getting ours made and self tie are £12 and pre tied are £18. I have looked at a few you tube clips and I am nearly convinced to pay the extra as the men won't want to be stressing on the morning, and every video i saw they were done in a different way but the pre tied would be made all the same and they could just pop them on. Plus I'm hoping to sell them afterwards!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Argh, there is more than one type of winged collar???? ?

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for the massive delayed response to this thread, but I ahve been snowed under work here and feverishly planning my own wedding at home.

OK wing collar shirts:

Normal wing collar: http://www.jones-menswear.co.uk/images/stock/formal_accessories/classic_plains/main/oxford.jpg

Normal wings. Worn with either a traditional cravat (the one that folds over in two and a pin sits in the middle) or a bow tie. Do not look good with 'ruche' style cravats.

Swept Back Wing: http://www.jones-menswear.co.uk/images/stock/formal_accessories/classic_plains/main/capri.jpg

Swept back wing. This is the preferred choice for 'ruche' style cravats. They lay flatter and sit nicer with this style, you can also hide the clip of a ready-tied cravat.

Victorian Wing: http://www.jones-menswear.co.uk/images/stock/formal_accessories/classic_plains/main/como.jpg

Victorian Wing. Essentially the same shirt as above but with a deeper neck band. This looks good with self-tie cravats because the band of a self tie is bigger. But does not sit well with anyone above a 161/2" collar, because of the depth of the band and the length of ones neck.

They are the most popular but their are others.

Marc

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, that's fab info/advice.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics