Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Crawling out of the woodwork

26 May, 2012 at 18:34 Posted on Planning 0 12

How many have you had, of people that are not even close friends, suddenly re-emerging into your life as you are getting married and they feel they should get an invite?

Me and my CBM were friendly with a girl a few years ago. I lost contact, she was related to CBM so CBM still seen her irregularly at funerals and so on. Basically when we were friendly with this girl she was high maintainance as she was a 'old maid' complainer, everything was turned into her desperation to get married and that she was going to be left on the shelf as she is a few years older than me and CBM who were both settled. She then settled down - completely off the radar, tried to contact her a few times for just a catch up. I gave her ample opportunities to contact me. She met up with CBM recently who told her she was being my CBM and all of a sudden she is insistent that CBM gives me her new mobile number and email. The only difference being mention of the W word!

I find it laughable how people from your past, no matter how distant an acquaintance all of a sudden expect to resume contact so they can get an invite to your wedding. Am i missing something? I never wanted invited to weddings where I feel i am not a close friend or family member of the bridal party

12 replies

Latest activity by anothermrsjones, 28 May, 2012 at 15:25
  • F
    Beginner August 2012
    fionakt83 ·
    • Hide content

I was just talking to my OH about this. ? I really dont understand it at all. Ive had old school people who I wasn't even close to over 10 years ago asking where there invite is and one girl even told another mutual friend she had found a dress to come in!!!!!!!

We have told people that since i've got such a huge close family they wont be invited but we will meet for a drink. I know I wont hear from them again now lol.

• L
    Beginner
    LozzaGB ·
    • Hide content

My OH has a cousin and partner - now married - who we were quite friendly with when I first moved up here. The friendship was quite high maintenance, but we stuck with it. When they decided to get married we saved to go abroad with them and got told approx 4 - 6 weeks before the wedding that we werent as close as we should be, and that we were demoted from the wedding party. After a meet up to discuss and try and resolve any problems I wasnt aware of, we were back on. Since then, the wife has basically ignored me. She did many things to upset me, I was told I was having a miscarriage by my Dr and she called to be reassured that we would still be coming to the wedding. Not, are you ok? Do you need anything? Lol.

Since her wedding we grew apart, and now I am officially not invited to anything they host - ie fireworks, christmas or parties etc. Im fine with that, as I said, very high maintenance! But they got wind of our wedding (abroad also) and promptly invited themselves along via other family members. Errr. No love. You can bugger right off!

• weemee
    Beginner July 2012
    weemee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

lol. I had a few family members who haven't bothered with me at all for about 10 years, and hardly at all before that, asking my mum about the wedding when they randomly bumped into her a few weeks ago. She had been dying to tell them to stick it and got her opportunity. I laughed my head off for ages when she told me. I'm so proud of her.... is that a bit wrong?

?

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

Yep totally getting that too. I've had people I haven't seen for years directly asking me if they are being invited - the most uncomfortable one being an ex-boyfriend??! I've been quite diplomatic and told all of them that we are already struggling with the guest list for family and close friends (which is true) and leaving it at that. I'm sure they'll figure it out when they don't get an invite! Another thing I'm doing which is helping to keep the invite seekers at bay is not putting any status updates about it on Facebook.

• S
    Beginner July 2013
    swcbride ·
    • Hide content

Ah, me too. A girl I was friends with at uni, who I didn't really keep in touch with afterwards has now all of a sudden started trying to be best mates with me. Last time we saw each other was about 3 years ago, and whenever we're in contact, it's via text and it's a couple of exchanges along the lines of, "Hi, how are you?", "Good, how are you?". Since I got engaged, she's in contact every two weeks. Bleugh. My OH and I were at her wedding which was about 5 years ago now, but we've really not kept in touch. She's clearly expecting an invite, but I'm not so sure. Definitely not to the day, maybe the evening.

Even at work, I started a couple of months ago. About 3 weeks in, one of the guys was talking about going to our wedding, and I was like, "Hold on, I've known you for 3 weeks. What makes you think you are invited?". His answer, "Well, we'll have know each other for over a year by then". P off, we have known all our daytime guests for longer than 10 years, and there are plenty of evening guests that we would 'bump up' ahead of someone I've know a year by then if we have the space / funds.

• C
    Beginner November 2011
    Catx1606 ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem with a so called work friend who didn't talk to me for months until she heard that I was getting married and that I was marrying into a military family. She didn't get an invite.

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Nope, not had that here. No one is very interested, which is fine. Couldn't be coping with any extra expenses anyhoo...

• L
    Beginner
    LozzaGB ·
    • Hide content

Lol! I have not had the pleasure of telling her.

We decided to try and build bridges (OH and me) but she basically turned us down - which hurt a hell of a lot! So as and when she starts to book up when we tell the family dates I will very coyly be telling her to fook off. Smiley smile

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

My side have all been really well behaved but OH has had A LOT of family he hasn't seen for over 10 years suddenly add him on facebook and ask all about it. He also had a friend who received an evening invite then text him saying sorry to be cheeky but just wanted to check you meant to send that invite and not a day one. WHAAAAT??? He also spent the whole of OH's stag referring to it as the "rugby tour". No no love, rugby boys were invited on the stag. Moron.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing!

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was gobsmacked....

• weemee
    Beginner July 2012
    weemee ·
    • Hide content

That's pretty amazing! I would have sent back "no, sorry >>>> we didn't mean to send you either. can you just tear it up now and not worry?"

honestly........

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

Hahaha that would've been a good response!! I wasn't allowed to reply and when I said I hope you said yes it is cheeky and yes it was the right invite he rather abashedly said errr well two other people have cancelled so I've bumped him up!!!! The boy does not cope well under pressure. Can't say I won't mention it (in jest mind) when I next see him and it has made me laugh as well as being annoyed

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics