Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Treacle76
Beginner February 2012

Creased dresses!

Treacle76, 3 December, 2011 at 20:16 Posted on Planning 0 5

I collected my dresses yesterday from Birmingham dress lady and although they are lovely, they are completely creased to bits from being folded in a packet!

The whole reason for purchasing from her was to keep costs down as we are on a tight budget, so I really don't want to have to pay to get them steamed. Its not really possible to iron them due to the material and style.

Any ideas to get the creases out would be much appreciated x

5 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Time, 4 December, 2011 at 14:24
  • Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

Hang them up in the bathroom when you have a shower, after a bit the creases should start to drop out. It really depends how bad the creases are tho.

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

To be perfectly honest, I would take them back and complain. You shouldn't have been given dresses that are unfit to be worn!

Depending on the dress fabric you aren't likely to remove the creases just by hanging in a steamy room. However i've yet to find a dress that can't be ironed (I used to own a bridal shop). In fact, its more likely that a dress can't be steamed, than to find one that can't be ironed! You just need to be very careful, take your time, don't use any steam if the fabric is silk or taffeta, and if there is the slightest chance of anything melting (any plastic beads/sequins/tulle) then make sure you use a clean cotton towel (like a tea towel or muslin) between the iron and the dress. Be prepared to spend upwards of an hour or two on each dress as you are likely to need to do each bit a little at a time, and keep going over the dress until each crease has gone.

Otherwise, contact your local dry cleaners/bridal dress shops. We used to charge from £15 per dress to steam them. With a steamer (depending on the dress fabric/style) it would take anything from 15 mins, however you need to leave the dress in place overnight before packing into a dress bag to allow it to fully dry. If you put a dress into a dress bag immediately after steaming, any folds from being put into a bag will end up as deep creases.

• ClaireMcToBe
    Beginner September 2012
    ClaireMcToBe ·
    • Hide content

I was gonna suggest the shower thing too. My FG dress arrived really creased and I hung it up and put the tumble dryer on without the ventilating hose. It's now crease free and beautiful Smiley smile

Do you have, or know anyone with a steam cleaner?

• Treacle76
    Beginner February 2012
    Treacle76 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. I'm a bit nervous about ironing them as they are satin with lots of ruffles on the bodice, but i'm going to give one a go today and see how I get on.

• W
    Wedding Time ·
    • Hide content

Steam them yourself carefully, borrow a steam iron dont touch the fabric with the iron

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics