Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner March 2016

Crotchet hook dress help!

MrsLloyd2b, 14 of February of 2016 at 08:39 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hey, the assistant in the dress shop has told me to get a crotchet hook to help my BMs get me in my dress. I've just looked on Amazon and eBay but didn't realise there are lots of different sizes! Can anyone advise what size I'm likely to need? I'm guessing the buttons for the corset back on my dress is a relatively standard size. Any help greatly appreciated! Xx

5 replies

Latest activity by MrsLloyd2b, 14 of February of 2016 at 14:50
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

My dress had an inner lace up corset. Then a zip, then buttons. I was advised a crochet hook to fasten the buttons through the tiny loops but I didn't fasten the buttons so didn't need it. I didn't need a crochet hook for the corset part.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

I have a few so will be able to choose which one fits best lol maybe a 4 or 5 go for a mid size not tiny not massive.

• L
    Beginner March 2016
    LuxuriousGoldDiamonds273 ·
    • Hide content

Check with your shop, hopefully they can tell you

• jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

For "normal" size buttons, I agree, a 4 or 5, maybe a 5.5-6 if there is a bit more room in the buttonhole.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I can categorically say that you need a 4.5 ---- how do I know-- because I have carried one in my camera bag for about 10 years. Also remember than it is not so much about the size of the buttons because you don't put the button through the loop as such but more like you stretch the elastic loop over the button so the crotchet hook just needs to be big enough to catch the loop.

You don't need a hook but you will find it very fiddly especially when you are late and your nails have been done and the car is waiting outside.Then you get all the way to the top and realize that you have missed one and have to start again!

I don't understand why dress shops don't sell them as they always say to use one -- better yet- they could give one free with every button up dress.

Sometimes it gets left behind and I always re-buy a 4.5, you could go a little bigger but too much bigger and you might find it more of a fiddle to un release the elastic from the hook. Here's a picture of mine in action and you can also see it here www.leicesterwedding-photographer.co.uk

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsLloyd2b ·
    • Hide content

Ahh thanks for all the replies! I'm pretty sure my buttons are a standard size (see pic) so will buy 4.5, but just found a set for the same price a single hook so I might just get that then I'm covered. Next job will be trying to explain to my new husband how to get me out of the dress! Ha! Thanks xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics