Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nicnol
Beginner October 2011

Cupcakes as a wedding cake

nicnol, 26 August, 2010 at 15:47 Posted on Planning 0 11

Has anyone had cupcakes for their wedding cake and if so

1. Did you have a cutting cake rather than cutting a cupcake? If so was it on the top tier? I'm wondering how this is possible unless you're a giant hehe!

2. How many did you cater for? All guest including evening? (we'll have max 150)

3. How much did they charge you for hiring the stand?

I'd really love to have this but I'm just trying to cost it all up......I've had one quote for £1.25 per cake plus another £20 for the top tier cutting cake then £35-£50 to hire the stand (which if I need a 7 tier stand I can get on ebay for £28)

11 replies

Latest activity by nicnol, 27 August, 2010 at 11:33
  • Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Bon soir.

We are having cupcakes and a top cutting cake. It's about £250 for 60 cupcakes (all different flavours), one fruitcake which would serve about 20 ish and then in the evening we have 60 cupcake lollypops (cupcakes on sticks). This includes stand hire for £25 which is refundable.

We have 59 day guests including me & the OH. Evening we have about 70.

Hope that helps.

• littlelady01
    Beginner October 2010
    littlelady01 ·
    • Hide content

My sil2b just got married friday just gone and she had cupcakes for her wedding cake, i can't help on price because a friend of the family did it. There was probably about 100 guests though she was expecting more so had 200 cupcakes made, some of were little cupcakes, she then had a cake made to cut and put on the top tier. The friend had bought a 6 tier cakestand and it wasn't nearly big enough so they had to put alot of the cupcakes on the table and probably about 50-60 were still in the box under the table.

Hope this helps a little bit.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

We were going to have one but mil2b, who is making them all, got the gitters about them looking good enough so now they are going into the evening buffet. We were going to cater for all the day guests with a normal size cupcake and then have a mixture of normal and tiny cupcakes for the evening. My thinking was that not all day guests have weding cake just after a meal and as they were goign into a buffet no need to cater for everyone. We bought a stand off ebay as as you say they are cheaper on there then hiring one. We were going to have a giant cup cake as our top one. You asking how we were goign to cut it has got me as i never even thought about it. I guess it would have been displayed on a lowish table and i would have had to stand on something.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We are having cupcakes, but with a normal choccy cake on top for cutting. Buying ours from M&S so cant really help with other prices

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

Cheers all - I think one I was a bit worried about having this massive tower of cakes and this top tier cutting cake being on the top which i couldn't get to but there is nothing stopping me getting a smaller stand and storing the extra cakes under the table! Plus didn't know if it was better to get traditional wedding cake price wise. Obviously trying to work to some kind of budget and originally thought about M&S option but as time goes on I just want more.....I will have to reign myself in!

I'm not fussed about cutting into a cup cake if honest but h2b wants a proper cake to cut into....hence the top tier although lady at work who's step so got married last year had cupcakes and they just did the linking of the arms thing and ate the cake rather than cutting into it....they're american though so not sure if it's more of an american thing!

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 110 cupcakes made but can't help on price as a lady fom work is doing them for stupidly low cost.

We are having a top cake for the cutting and for the personlised cake topper we've had made.

I'm just about to start looking for a stand and was advised by the lady making them to look on Ebay.

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

This what our cake will look like but with 7tiers as we are having 5" top tier for cutting, 70 standard cupackes and 70 mini cupcakes. Plus 50 raspberry ripple cupcakes for dessert, cake stand hire is £30 and £40 for setup and delivery. So total was £280.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

We're having cupcakes too. I wanted a large cupcake too but now I think I may just have a regular circular cake on top so that I can have a cake topper too, plus it can be cut for photos and tradition. Rather than have them all on one cake stand, I want them on a few. Small stand with cupcakes on and cake on top then a couple more stands with more cupcakes all over.

I'll be buying rather than hiring the stands.

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

I can't believe how popular this is as I am also having a cupcake wedding cake!

Mine is 12 cupcakes for £17.50, we are having 9 dozens as we are catering for 100 guests and the tier is £30 to hire so in total ours is costing around £190 which I think is bargain for something a bit different. We weren't going to do any of the cake cutting etc. but I guess if we did, then we would get a smaller wedding cake for that.

• K
    Beginner December 2011
    king george ·
    • Hide content

I'm having cupcakes to but i'm lucky my friend is a cake maker so is doing mine for my wedding pressie having about 150 cakes you can get these really pretty cup cake wraps which look really cute x

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

For 350 we are having 60 normal sized cupcakes with a top cutting tier. This includes stand hire and some very pretty wrappers. We only catered for our day guests.

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

Love the idea of mini cakes!

I think my price then which is £1.25 for cakes so 140 is £175 plus £25 for top tier then say max £50 for cake stand hire is not too unreasonable (and I can always buy cake stand cheaper than hire price)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics