Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner January 2009

cupcakes instead of a traditional wedding cake

sarahv75, 23 December, 2009 at 10:22 Posted on Planning 0 38

We've decided to have cupcakes instead of a wedding cake and i was wondering if anyone else was doing the same? What company are you using? Icing colours, choc or sponge, sizes etc? I've looked at a few and the best so far seems to be www.thelittlecupcakecompany.co.uk in terms of price and designs.

I bought a clear acrylic 6 tier stand from ebay last night to display them all! Might also put a few fairy lights around it as i saw a picture on a website and it looked really nice.

38 replies

Latest activity by blueeyedgirl, 11 February, 2010 at 19:38
  • ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

These were our cakes. We bought them for M&S, they were all different flavours and people were saying how good they were for ages afterwards. They were just what we wanted and a great price too.

HTH

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content

Wow they look fab. Just had a quick look on their website but can't see them there. How did you find out about them?

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I love cupcakes at weddings! So pretty and great in different flavours.

We splashed out a bit on our cake just because I totally fell in love with eric lanlards tower of desserts when I saw it at a wedding exhibition in London! We had the desserts shown below, but they were on a chocolate covered cake stand!! It tied in with our cream, chocolate brown and red colour scheme (december wedding). So I guess it is a bit colour scheme specific, however I think you could probably still have them with any colour scheme, they don't have to tie in. We displayed them at wedding breakfast and had photos with cake but let guests help themselves in the evening, and they couldn't wait to get stuck in!!. They were served with raspberry coulis and you could select from a large armount of flavours. I think we had four or five different flavours. They were from Savoir Design -

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

We had cupcakes and I absolutely loved them! I really wasn't into the whole traditional wedding cake thing so we opted for 100 cupcakes and then a top tier made of sponge. Our venue served them with the tea and coffee after our meal and they went down a treat. I haven't got any pics here that I can post but I have one as my avatar.

HTH

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

We're having cupcakes and my mum and sister are making them. my SIL is going to make a small solid cake so we can cut and give people the option of having that aswell, she's also making my favours/table places too! she's an amazing cook, she made OH's birthday cake yesterday and decorated it as the welsh flag, it was amazing!

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Cupcakes are a lovely idea! i mean who DOESN'T like a cupcake...

xx

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They are just instore but if you go in they will order the amount you want on a date you want for you to collect form store. They were really helpful although they ordered in far more than I needed but they just put the overs in the shop.

They are £2.99 for a box of 4 and the different flavours were strawberry and vanilla/carrot cake/chocolate/white chocolate and raspberry and coffee and wlanut I think.

• M
    Beginner September 2010
    Mezzy ·
    • Hide content

My friend had cupcakes at her wedding earlier this year too. Everyone commented on them - I think it's a lovely idea. Think her mum made and iced them though - do you have any friends or family that could do it for you?

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

I'm having cup cakes!!

we tried them last time we were in the area and the lady was lovely and her cakes were amazing!!!

http://www.sugarlilycakes.co.uk/#/cupcakes/4535256929

she knew exactly what we wanted too, and made suggestions to make them look even better than this pic!! we are opting for choc and vanilla/plain with buttercream mmmmmmmmmmm

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

We will be having 40 cupcakes and a 6'' top tier coming in at £165 from Michelle jones at icing on the cake we found her at a wedding fayre and her cakes are scrummy!!!!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to crash a little but this is something I've always wondred - do you have to have 1 cupcake per guest????

I'd love to have cupcakes but I just wonder how I'll have enough to do 200 people. This might be a silly question - sorry if it is ?

• Kim31
    Kim31 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Gillsy

Some do have one per person... however with that many guests you could do a number of cupcakes and a small cake to cut up ( on top).

HTH

Kim

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

This was my cake:

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS - exactly. we bought enough cupcakes for 1 and a half each, they cost £3 for a box of 4. an absolute bargain, and they went down an absolute storm. we did exactly what ashmegdj did - asked them to over order, we just took what we wanted, they put the remainder on the shop floor! we also found some of the elusive lemon meringue ones, which were delicious!

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I remembered about those at 3am this morning but managed to resist turning the computer on to edit my post!!

They are delicious though....but didn't fit quite as well with our colour scheme!! ;-)

• Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey
    Beginner December 2008
    Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey ·
    • Hide content

That brings back memories Sherrie...

Happy New Year !?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

That was 5yrs ago!

Happy New Year to you & Debbie xX

• J
    Beginner July 2010
    Jellyflower ·
    • Hide content

Think its a great idea and they look great.

My and H2B, were thinking about Mr Kiplings French Fancies as they our our favourite cake!

Happy new year everyone!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I love Mr Kipling french fancies and they do a large birthday cake size one (seen it in Morrisons) so you could have that on top.

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is such a fab idea!!!!!!

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yum! How have I not seen this?? I need to get me to Morrisons!

• J
    Beginner July 2010
    Jellyflower ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

he he, great isn't it and it taste very yummy! ?

• C
    CbyD ·
    • Hide content

I have just read the forum rules and was advertising sorry will register as a supplier at a later date !

Cupcake by Design

• sparkles1984
    Beginner
    sparkles1984 ·
    • Hide content

We are going to see a lady on Wednesday about cupcakes, she also does a Tiny Tiers cake which is a 2", 4" and 6" cake which stands 30cm high. Only £45 and then have 120 cupcakes for the evening as our buffet doesnt have a dessert.

I did buy some cupcakes off ebay and they were fab. 72 cupcakes and a top tier for £90. Someone on here suggested them so I bought some samples, they were yummy!

• Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey
    Beginner December 2008
    Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey ·
    • Hide content

A few ideas for you here..

https://www.debbiebone.co.uk/cupcakes.html

Feel free to copy any if they inspire you.

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content

Wow they look really good, but probably out of our price range!

This is along the lines of what we've decided to have:

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

WOW!

Thats the suffolkcupcakecompany. We're seeing them on the 10th for our wedding cake. I've always wanted cupcakes as both me and OH hate fruit cake. we get a tasting session and can't wait to try the raspberry ripple falvour!

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? We've got our tasting session with them this wednesday coming! We saw them at Easton Farm Park last weekend and bought a couple of cakes there - the lemon and chocolate ones are divine! The lady is baking us raspberry, carrot and vanilla ones to try on wednesday... can't wait! Just have to decide what styles we like best now. They are such good prices aren't they!

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

My friend had cupcakes at her wedding reception recently.

They were amazing, a local lady made them so they were decently prices as well.

Her colours were pink and orange as she got married abroad in the Dominican Republic and our bridemaid dresses were that colour!

Everyone loved them.

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats where we saw them but awhile ago. OH definitely wants the raspberry ripple. where and when's the big day?

Our biggest decision is which flavours to have as like you said the price is quite good

• S
    Beginner
    sladetobe ·
    • Hide content

LOVE cupcakes, such a great idea. I'm making my own as I love a good baking session - 150 should be fun. Although I love the french fancy idea.....?

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We get married on 24th April in Isaacs, Ipswich. How about you?

They have so many lovely different designs on their website it's hard to choose isn't it! H2B likes the bright ones but i'm not 100% sure...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics