Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

Currys recruitment process.

*Mini*, 6 of September of 2013 at 08:09 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

Anyone seen this on the news? I think it's disgraceful behaviour of currys. What do you think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23972952

15 replies

Latest activity by *MM3*, 6 of September of 2013 at 17:26
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree with you!!!!!!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I think he's overreacting a little bit. I suppose the idea behind it was a team building exercise, getting everyone to work together to choreograph and perform a dance routine.

Not really relevant to the job being advertised, but I can understand the team building element of it.

I can imagine it would be humiliating for someone with two left feet, but I'd throw myself right into it!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

The whole company is a disgrace. My OH works for them and has been treated like dirt. In his interview they had to build a tower as high as possible out of paper and selotape.... How that shows whether or not they are a suitable candidate I don't know!

Managers are nasty, they are pushy with targets and only care about getting insurance on products, pay is awful and for the stress they get it isn't worth it. OH often works 12 hours with no break. It's disgusting. He's on a 6 hour contract and is expected to work 30+ hours and they also change the rota without warning. He has been in on a Wednesday for example and not due in again until Saturday, and then had a phone call on the Friday saying 'where are you, you were due in at 8' and he takes photos of the rota's and it had been changed on the Thursday and nobody said anything to him! It's like he's expected to pop I'm every day to check for an update! It's very difficult to plan a life around his job.

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

I'm all for innovation & new ways of thinking - creativity, etc. But only in team environments - this was an interview, absolutely not. 100% disgraceful behaviour.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I'd have walked out I think.

I got asked once (when I was about 19) in an interview "What drink best describes you and why?". I sat there for a while with a confused look on my face and the interviewer said "for example, i would say I am like champagne because I am blonde and bubbly". I just said "yeah, that's me too" (I'm a brunette). Weirdly I got the job, although I didn't actually take it in the end.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

There is "making the interviews fun" and making people feel uncomfortable!

Think its a bit unnecessary, there are other ways to find out how outgoing people are.

These interviews are a different type of cruel! They were making an ad so im not even sure if there was a job available! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2411950/Scariest-job-interview-LG-terrifies-applicants-Chile-faking-massive-meteor-crash-outside-office-window-thats-really-ultra-high-def-TV-screen.html

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thoughts exactly. Feels like ritual humiliation and doesn't seem relevant as part of the recruitment process. I am up for a bit of fun but not making people feel embarassed / awkward.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like poor management. Has your oh considered the whistle blowing procedure?

However 'managers only care about targets', that's kind of thier job too?!

All jobs have an element if target basing in them- otherwise how would you measure productivity? I used to get really fed up with staff moaning about targets. As a manager the pressure is increased 10 fold.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

On his own or with others? Sounds an odd thing to make him do on his own?!

I've been to some strange interviews in my time but have never been made to dance. Good job, as I'd probably be unemployable!

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

For a while Currys staff at certain stores had to do a dance on the shop floor every hour! It was when Best Buy was in the UK and they were very into having fun and dancing around.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

So glad I paid to sit at a desk and be a miserable cow ha ha.

Having said that, when I first joined my current employer, many moons ago, I had to do numeracy and literacy tests, along with a team building exercise and finally a one to one interview. I then had to return for a second interview complete with a roll play exercise! All for a £12.5k job.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely have walked, no matter how much I needed the job. Saying that once they'd seen me dance I'd never have been offered the job anyway!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Currys tried to make light of it in their statement, but it didn't really work. You could tell they were cringing.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I do agree with you there, however the thing with Curry's is it doesn't matter how many products get sold by the staff, if no insurance/Norton/random rubbish like that doesn't get sold with it the managers make out you are a failure. If a customer doesn't want it you can't exactly force them to buy it, so it isn't fair to undermine staff because they were unable to force something upon someone.

HatTrick - Yeah I believe it was with others, still seems weird though. For my job at Waitrose we did word games to relax us a bit but we never built towers ? On some other training he had to do at a bigger store they all had to create an imaginary barrier and punch the air as hard as they could to 'break the barrier'...OH said it was embarrasing for all of them.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

With any sales role though you will always stretch a target beyond what is achieved ori the staff will plateau, it's a standard sales management technique. I think you do need a certain morality, almost a tough shell to work within it.

like I say before if it is a bad as all that then report it? If no one soeaks out nothing will get better.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

That is ridiculous, that would be an absolute nightmare for me and i'd have walked out.

I'm like others and all for a bit of fun but that's a step too far and i'd just feel embarrassed.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics