Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MellyMoo
Beginner

Curtains - how much would you/did you pay?

MellyMoo, 25 of August of 2010 at 18:08 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

Right, not long ago I bought some curtains for our lounge. In our lounge we have a wide set of patio doors and one smaller part glass door. The curtains I bought were over £100 which to me is a lot of money for curtains although I know that is probably the cheap end of the scale.

Anyway, I don't like them, they are just boring plain neutral colour. I've just ordered some more which I love for the patio doors - they were £110. In order to create the right effect I really need to cover the smaller door as well (on the same wall) but as before, I have to order a whole pair of curtains and I will only need to use one of them so one will go to waste. The extra set will be £90.

So £200 to me is a lot for curtains BUT it's not an average window size is it? That's for an extra wide, full length patio door and it basically covers the whole back wall of our house. So £200 is cheap really isn't it? Isn't it? One friend of mine spent over £1000 on curtains (but she's very rich!)

What would you spend/have you spent on curtains?

17 replies

Latest activity by Petal, 26 of August of 2010 at 08:44
  • slightlymad
    Beginner
    slightlymad ·
    • Hide content

I am a skinflint and would rather have a go at making them than spending £1000 on curtains. As for how much I would spend, it depends on for what room and whether I would be able to settle for a cheaper pair. Incidently my lounge curtains were £8 in a closing down sale!

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content

SM that doesn't make me feel any better! £8! Making them is out of the question, as sewing is not my forte. There's no way in the world I could cover that much window for £8 I'm sure!

• slightlymad
    Beginner
    slightlymad ·
    • Hide content

No probably not the £8 was absolutely brilliant though! Ok could you buy both sets and use the spare curtain to make some scatter cushions or something similar, they are really easy to make and you have got more for your money then?

• Mrs Claus
    Mrs Claus ·
    • Hide content

MM- I think thats a reasonable price to pay.

I like SM like to have a go at making them and I have a similar predicament in my soon to be new bedroom which has 2 huge windows. But I would be loathed to attempt sewing such a large curtain for fear of it being wonky.

Go fo it. Can you sell the others on ebay to recoup some money?

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content

SM - LOVE the idea of making cushions with the spare curtain, although I wouldn't attempt it myself. The curtains I have need taking up a little and I'm going to ask whoever does it to make some tie backs with the offcuts.

I've actually just put a voile panel that I had spare over the door and it doesn't look too bad. I'll live with it for a couple of days before I decide I think.

My H doesn't think home furnishings are important so he'd rather I spent nothing and put up with what we've got!

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mrs C! x

• Mrs Claus
    Mrs Claus ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mines the same. Pfftt, what would they know <flicks hair over shoulder>

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

I will ebay my old curtains but I really don't think anyone will want them as they are so boringly plain!

• H
    Beginner
    Holly Bags ·
    • Hide content

If you're getting an expensive fabric, made to measure, plus twiddly bits like pelmets, fancy tops, posh rail and tiebacks, plus fitting, you can do in two grand in a matter of minutes. I don't think it's that unusual tbh - I notice posh soft furnishings these days, having got some quotes from a local interior design place and even somewhere middle of the road like Laura Ashley - there was NOTHING for our french windows for less than about £1500, which is why they're still bare.

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks HB. Feel better now! These are just Next, so not posh, but 100 times better than what was there (which were also Next actually).

£1500 is a bit steep for curtains isn't it?

• Mrs Claus
    Mrs Claus ·
    • Hide content

My lounge ones are next and look fab. I had no idea what I wanted but knew I needed a change and these are so much better than I thought.

• H
    Beginner
    Holly Bags ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well I thought so, but then a quick straw poll of friends and family who had gone Made to Measure made me realise that it's pretty reasonable apparently. If you add fitting and a smart pole, well it goes up even more. I can see some value in it as our house is made of chewing gum and 10 Hail Marys, so anyone who can get heavy stuff to hang on our walls is worth paying well!

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

Our walls are similar. Anything heavy hung on the walls is fixed and then also stuck on with No More Nails to stop it falling off. It's brilliant! So £200 is a steal then for curtains isn't it?

ETA: You can't actually remove items from the wall once stuck with No More Nails!

• sleepydreamer
    Beginner
    sleepydreamer ·
    • Hide content

We bought lovely curtains for our first flat, which had huge ceilings and we got them down to the floor, about 3 metres I think, they cost about £200 but my mum got us a good discount cos she works in the shop and it's a small family run company. When we moved the next place had slightly higher ceilings but we used them still, now we've moved again and have low ceilings but 2 windows, I paid about £80 to have my huge curtains cut in two and made into two pairs! Bonus being even with two pairs we had extra left over so now have 4 huge cushion covers for the sofa to match too.

• MellyMoo
    Beginner
    MellyMoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Brilliant! They've certainly been worth the money then!

• Sparkling
    Beginner October 2009
    Sparkling ·
    • Hide content

My lounge curtains cost a small fortune they were made to measure laura ashley ones and worth every penny. they've been with us 10 years now and still look good and are going to continue to be in service in the new house.

I'm going to make our bedroom curtains i bought the fabric from laura ashley in the sale with an extra 20% off on line! so that's a cheaper starting point.

i think Eleanor has the cheapest curtains in our house ITNG ones from Argos and i need to get another pair as she'll have 2 windows in her new room!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

My old apartment had huuuuuuge floor to ceiling windows, 92 inch drop and cost me £40 in the sale, sooo chuffed. When I moved into my last house I had 2 huge windows which the curtains fit so Mum bought me another set to match. They were on sale again so I got the last pair for £32.. Even more bargainous! Moved house again since then and didn't need them so sold them to a friend.

I have some other smaller curtains from Next which I looooved when I bought them a few years ago. They were £90 and are hung in my dining room but my cats only need to brush past them and they tug them cos they're a satiny finish.. Smiley sad

£200 for alot of curtain is reasonable I think.

• Petal
    Petal ·
    • Hide content

If I could afford to spend more money on curtains I would. Mr P's sister is a curtain maker and she has the most beautiful curtains in her home but when she quoted us for our lounge it was over £2000 ? So I went to the Laura Ashley sale and got some for £80 (reduced mind you from £200). I like them but they are obviously not the same quality as made to measure (not as thick for a start). If you are happy with £200 I would say go for it. It sounds reasonable enough to me. x

My friend went on a one day curtain making course and has lovely curtains in her home?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics