Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner April 2017

curvy bride to be, where to find a wedding dress shop newcastle upon tyne ?

Soontobemrselmore, 20 of February of 2015 at 19:27 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi ladies im all new to this so please bear with me ?

I got engaged on the 30th december 2014, the night before my 21st birthday, im so excited to get started planning my wedding, ive been to look at a few venues and got matfen hall in mind, its absolutely beautiful, however im dreading starting to look for dresses !

At the minute im a size 18-20, im on slimming world at the minute wanting to get down to a 10-12 for my wedding day but because im not a size 8 im worried about going to try dresses on because ive heard the shops only have tiny size samples in to try on.

Im worried that if i find a dress i love im not really going to know how its going to look once ive lost the weight, i would love some help and advise and any ideas of where abouts in or around newcastle area i can find a shop that wont judge me and help me find my perfect dress !

Also im in love with maggie sottero dresses and would love a fishtail/mermaid dress !

Thanks in advance ladies look forward to reading your replies ?

10 replies

Latest activity by elvira-darkside, 21 of February of 2015 at 10:59
  • M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsWatkinsToBe ·
    • Hide content

To start with don't worry.

I'm not in Newcastle so can't advise on bridal shops but I am curvy so had similar worries.

A lot of Maggie Sottero dresses are lace up backs which are great as they can fit varying sizes, so those would be a great place to start. I'm having a Maggie dress. The bridal shop I went to had a variety of sized dresses too so you should be okay, and generally the people in the shops are fab at advising and suggesting dress styles.

Good luck with the dress shopping and I'm sure you will find something lovely

• M
    Beginner March 2015
    Mrs Whittle2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi

i was so nervous about dress shopping because I'm a 18/20 aswell. Went to the wedding warehouse at Northallerton and they were fantastic, ended up buying my dress their and being a discount warehouse was reasonably priced too

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    marie75 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I love Maggie Sottero dresses too!! I'm not local to you so not sure about stockists in your area but just wanted to give you a bit of advice. Ring the dress shop before hand to ask what sample sizes they hold, I have been to three and they all held samples up to a size 20 albeit selective. I phoned one and the largest they stocked was a 12 so I didn't go as I am a 14-16. To go to a shop where you could try nothing on would be terribly disheartening. Slimming world is fab, I've lost 5st 2lb with them so far.

good luck with your planning x

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what area of newcastle you're in but i went to truly madly deeply in monkseaton and i was fine trying dresses slightly too small on as she just pinned them to my bra and i got a good feel for what i liked Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Don't panic! To start with, when are you thinking of getting married? You don't need to order most dresses until 6 months before, so don't put pressure on yourself to start looking yet if you've got a year or 2. I'm a size 14 and most the samples I tried on were a size 12. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to lose weight, wedding planning can be a tough job at the best of times. Most dresses can be taken in more easily than let out.

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dress last Saturday at a bridal outlet store, I'm a size 18 & guaranteed much older than you. Wedding date is 9th may & I had left it so late cos I was dreading it. Please don't worry ! You will find a dress. I thought nothing would suit me, in the end it was all the fitted dresses that looks best, I ended up with a fishtail. Can't stress how much I don't want you to be despondant. I'm not local so can't help on specific shops near you but there will be shops that stock your size, just be prepared to try things on even if they look hideous on the hanger. Let us all know how you get on, good luck ???

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

I found that the shops I went to had dresses in all sizes so I'm sure you'll have no problems. It may be too far for you but Exclusively Yours in Wingate, County Durham seemed to have quite a lot available to try in larger sizes.

• S
    Beginner April 2017
    Soontobemrselmore ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your replies ! Its made me feel a bit better knowing that hopefully ill find a dress that will give me the wow factor !

Going to ring a few shops up and ask before hand what sizes they have samples in and decide from there ! I found a plus size wedding dress boutique but its in yorkshire and nearly 2 hours from where i live in ponteland in newcastle so its a bit of a trip !

Thanks again ladies you have been so helpful ?????

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I'd be willing to bet thats the shop my best friend got her dress from. She looked stunning and said the service was incredible, but she is about a high street 26.

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

There is a lovely friendly bridal shop tucked away on the same lane as the bacchus pub (next door to dabberwal). im not buying from there (id popped in to see bridesmaid frocks), and the lady there is lovely, quirky and not pushy. not sure about size ranges, but she is very approachable.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics