Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner April 2016

Cut off/shorten a long train?

reilly2b, 18 of November of 2015 at 19:10 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi,

My dress is gorgeous, but it does have a very long train. Now, thinking about the practicalities of the day, I think it is too long. I am getting married in a church but then a reception in a barn so I just think it is a bit too much. Would you advise cutting it off or shortening it? I don't want to lose the detail though plus it is very heavy...but I really am regretting buying a dress with such a long train. Here is the dress, Pronovias Brandie: http://www.marrimebridalwear.co.uk/wedding-dresses/pronovias/brandie-1.html

13 replies

Latest activity by reilly2b, 19 of November of 2015 at 21:57
  • CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think the train looks too long. Maybe you could consider getting something to bustle the train up when you no longer want it to be so long? :-)

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

I feel exactly the same as you about the train on my dress. I loved it when I bought it but when i tried it on a few months ago it seemed so long.

I spoke to my dress alterations lady and she has suggested making it hook up into a bustle so this is what I am going to do.

• R
    Beginner April 2016
    reilly2b ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! It's got me thinking that I don't like the dress, that I regret it....but I know it is just these concerns. Are you bustling t for the whole day or just the evening? Is t easy to bustle a heavy dress?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's too long. I agree that a bustle is the best option, my dress has a lot of beading and lace but can be bustled so I'm sure yours can too, it might just need more bustle points to evenly distribute the weight. Make sure you take a bridesmaid to your final fitting so they can see how the bustle is fixed as it can be tricky.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad you posted this as last time I tried my dress on it felt huge so maybe it's pretty normal to feel like that as mine is similar to yours. My friend had a small hidden hook in her dress so after the ceremony she could hook it up to loose the train maybe this is an option?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a bustle. You might need more than one "hook" due to the weight of the dress but they're pretty awesome. It's like two dresses for the price of one lol!

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairycake135 ·
    • Hide content

My dress was pretty heavy, with lace overlays and a lot of beading, and a long train like yours. I loved it for the day, and it made some brilliant photos. However, I did find that I had to think about the train a lot, my new hubby had to carry it around the grounds so I didn't drag it on the ground! I really did love the "swish" effect though!

My very clever seamstress added 3 sets of 2 ribbons - one set in the middle, and then another set on each side. The idea is to tie the two ribbons in each set together under the dress to create the bustle. It worked brilliantly, once tied up the dress simply touched the floor. The reason for 3 sets is because my dress was too heavy for just the one set of ribbons in the middle. They held very securely for the whole of the evening.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

My dress is really heavy but has a button up back, so the lady in the bridal shop told me she could just put something in the train that you wouldn't be able to see and it would just hook over my bottom button.

She pinned it into place and it made a world of difference - didn't alter the style at all but was so much easier to walk in! Smiley smile

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the one although hers was literally a hook and loop on hers and was already in the dress. I think mine would need more than one but hers got away with one so you may get lucky

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just a little tip on that one is that so often I see brides say "oh I have got a hook somewhere" and then there is a big kerfuffle involving 3 bridesmaids,2 mums, and an usher as they search for it amid all the layers and then figure out how to do it.

So the tip is to find it and practice doing it up before the wedding day.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very good point! Luckily I was shown in the shop and hers was at the bottom of the corset but there was a way to lay the skirt to see the full detail too

• R
    Beginner April 2016
    reilly2b ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much! This is really useful. I will ask my seamstress about the ribbons.

• R
    Beginner April 2016
    reilly2b ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for all your replies. Your tips are brill and I feel more reassured now.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics