Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs Winkle
Beginner May 2007

Cyprus recs and Ibiza question...

Mrs Winkle, 18 of September of 2008 at 09:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Mr W and I are thinking about goint to either Cyprus or Ibiza for a week next May - however, we really don't want to go to the 18-30 type partaaaaay resorts. Can anyone recommend any nice places on either island - nice places to eat, a smattering of bars, no nightclubs kind of places are our thang.

Also - if we book a scheduled flight to Ibiza, would we still be likely to be sharing it with the 'avin it large gang?

16 replies

Latest activity by Mrs Winkle, 18 of September of 2008 at 13:16
  • PhoebeBuffay
    Beginner December 2008
    PhoebeBuffay ·
    • Hide content

Don't know anything about Ibiza, but lived in Dhekelia, Cyprus for a number of years as a child/teen.

Paphos is a beautiful and quiet part of the island, has a fantastic harbour with a castle that you can walk around, from what I remember there are plenty of good places to eat as well. Just down the road from Paphos is Coral bay which again is a lovely area, there are some bars in the little town area. Aphrodites rock is not too far away from Paphos and also the Tomb/Valley of the kings is just down the road as well.

I'd also recommend Protaras, it's just down the road from Ayia Napa but is alot quieter and off the beaten tracken as it were and there are some fantastic hidden little beaches and coves about the area, I remember a favourite beach/bay of ours being fig tree bay. Staying here means you're not too far away from Ayia Napa if you do fancy a more lively night out and Ayia Napa has Waterworld as well, if that's your thing.

Larnaca is also a good place to stay but more of a town/city environment, it's not as busy as Ayia Napa but more lively than Paphos or Protaras. It has a fantastic marina and waterfront.

The thing with Cyprus is, it's so small you could travel from Paphos to Protaras in a few hours and alot of the island is easily reached in a number of hours. Another thing I loved was the Troodos mountains, they have snow up there most of the year and it was very weird being able to go and ski, head back down the mountain and go and find a beach.

I'd also recommend a visit to Nicosia, it's a fantastic city, loads of history, plenty of nice little places to eat and a very good selection of shops(especially UK ones) Lefkara is also a nice little village to go, it's where the nuns make the lace.

If you go to Cyprus, I'm sure you'll have a great time, we got dragged everywhere by my parents, even over the northern part which is alot quieter than the south, I'd say the beaches are more beautiful over there as well.

• PhoebeBuffay
    Beginner December 2008
    PhoebeBuffay ·
    • Hide content

I believe that allthatglitters is our resident expert on Ibiza, she's always off there

• K
    Beginner September 2010
    kat100710 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not many 18 to 30 in Ibiza in may thats a good time to go to avoid it, loads of nice small places away from the crouds and both ibiza and Cyprus are stunning islands however you may get much better weather in Cyprus ( 3 wks on sun and i will be in Protaras yipee ) Went to Portinax last yr in Ibiza and that was very nice if you like it quiet, stunning cove and our hotel had its own mimi water park ?.

Im sure you will enjoy both Cyprus or Ibiza x

• A
    Beginner
    allthatglitters ·
    • Hide content

? Ibiza town is nice if a little odd sometimes. I always stay in San Antonio, but more the sunset strip part where there are some lovely places to stay. This was the view from our balcony this year. (Hotel Catalina)

Coastline restaurant, SunSea bar and Kanya and all really nice places to eat, aswell as Savannah (very busy but food is brilliant) and Cafe Del Mar/Mambo. Goes quiet there after midnight aswell. If thats to much stay in San Antonio Bay where there are some nice hotels and hop on the ferry over to the town (about 5 euro return) but the above restaurants are well worth a visit.

Cyprus, we go to Protarus next week and really like it. Some ncie restaurants if a little tacky with the Abba/Elvis tribute acts in some of the bars.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I can't help with Cyprus but I've been to Ibiza twice and loved it. We stayed in Ibiza Town both times and it's beautiful, very cosmopolitan and not at all 'Brits Abroad'. There's no beach but if you're hiring a moped/car anyway it doesn't matter. I think there are a few quiet beach resorts to be had if you do a bit of research, just avoid the biggies - San Antonio (though actually I thought it was v fun for a night out), Santa Eulalia, Es Cana, Playa d'en Bossa.

• M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content

Pikes Hotel in Ibiza is lovely - It's a nice place for a long weekend.

• Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content

I don't think Paphos or Coral Bay in Cyprus would be for you. Paphos is heaving with drunkards and Coral Bay is a bit neon now. Polis is a nice harbour town but quite a distance from the airport.

• PhoebeBuffay
    Beginner December 2008
    PhoebeBuffay ·
    • Hide content

Clare_M.....that's such a shame, mind you I was last there in 2002, just can't believe it could have changed so much.

• M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My one & only time to Cyprus & we were told to go to Coral Bay - So booked the Coral Bay Hotel. Hotel was not great, beach area very disappointed.

Veronicas in Tenerife reminded me of the village area in Coral Bay & Paphos (front area) seemed a bit Saffend, lots of Football kits as evening wear.

Has put us off going again. We went in 2005

Coral Bay

• Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all - I deffo don't want oiks and drunken Brits abroad, that's for sure.

I had wondered about Ibiza Town - it looks nice on TV, maybe we could find somewhere outside there. I've heard that the other side of Ibiza is beautiful too.

We've been to Northern Cyprus and loved it - I wonder if you can fly direct there now?

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

You can't fly directly to N. Cyprus from the UK and won't be able to until the TRNC is recognised, I don't think (international aviation/transport rules apparently mean it would be tantamount to recognising sovreignty - the Syrians were going to start a ferry service and the Greek Cypriots were deeply unimpressed, I imagine that it would be much more difficult for the UK given EU membership etc.) You could go scheduled with Turkish airlines if you want to avoid charters, but you'd have to change planes rather than just touch down in Turkey.

• WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content

We stayed at the Azia Beach Hotel in Cyprus in 2003. Its on the outskirts of Paphos, but a short car ride from the main town. It was in a really quiet area, and the hotel had good food and some entertainment on the evenings (traditional dancing etc), so not club 18-30.

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

You still can't fly direct to Northern Cyprus but it would be my rec of where to go. My PIL live there so we visit quite a bit - I love it. ?Whereabouts have you been in Northern Cyprus before?

• Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content

We stayed in a village just outside of Kyrenia - absolutely loved it.

• Merlini
    Merlini ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for Ibiza Town. We've been twice and absolutely loved it. Didn't come across any horrid Brits abroad type behaviour apart from on one trip into San Antonio. If you go I recommend a fab restaurant called La Brasa which is just outside the walls of the old town - an outside restaurant serving lovely Spanish food.

Also KM5 bar which is on the road between Ibiza Town and San Jose (I think) - it's miles from anywhere but is a wonderful Morroccan style outside bar with tents, chilled out music and great food. There are some lovely beaches - I think there is one called Las Salinas which was gorgeous. Space on Sundays great for a clubbing night.

H and I went for a week last time and did lots of diving - there is a very good school in Playa den Bossa called Rumbo Azul run by very nice Dutch guy. Great diving for the Med and loads to see but a little cold.

• Kekepania
    Beginner September 2006
    Kekepania ·
    • Hide content

My PIL live in Karisyaka which is about 25 mins drive from Kyrenia. We got married at Bellapais Abbey a few years ago and stayed in The Colony in Kyrenia - It was fab.

If it was me I'd stay in the North and go over to the South for a day or two - That way I'd be staying somewhere I knew I loved and visiting somewhere I hadn't been before - best of both worlds ?

• Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely place to get married - Bellapais is stunning.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics