Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2014

Cyprus wedding guest and family nightmare!

bridezilla914, 30 of August of 2013 at 10:39 Posted on Planning 0

Hi everyone, new to this site, and stumbled on it after desperately seeking helpful advice on how to deal with family at a wedding!!!

I will start at the beginning... We booked our cyprus wedding in may, but before we did we asked all our family if they would be prepared to travel to cyprus to see us get married, and if any of them didnt feel they could do it for what ever reasons, i.e budgets etc.... then we would reconsider, as all we wanted was a simple family wedding, no more than 20 ish guests, in a lovely location, and then just head down to paphos harbour afterwards for a meal with everyone for our reception. At this stage we were just putting the feelers out there really to see whether the wedding we wanted was possible. At the time everyone was on board with us, so we made enquiries and to cut a long story short, booked a wedding in cyprus, Pahos, next year at a lovely hotel. In comparison to uk prices, this also seemed better value for money as we could also have our honeymoon there afterwards. My other halfs family have been fine, and have been left to their own devices to arrange accomodation etc.... but my family on the other hand have been slightly more difficult. My parents are divorced and therefore at the time of booking the holiday, my dads plan was to come with his lady, who he has now separated from. He was all up for coming out to cyprus when they were together and now they have parted company, hes reluctant to come. He's been saying 'i dont know why you want to go to cyprus and get married anyway, as you can have a perfectly good wedding here in the uk' And to be honest, hes just making me feel like total sh*t about my wedding. He has never really been one for holidays, sun, warm weather, and fun to be honest, so I really should of seen this coming. But to make matters worse, a single occupancy in a hotel in cyprus is a hell of a lot more expensive than if you went with someone else. So this isnt helping either. I asked him so many times before we booked if he would like to come, and he said yes, but is attitude has just took a severe turn for the worst. I have told him that if he felt he couldnt/ didnt want to come, I wouldnt think any less of him. I know it sounds really selfish, but i dont really want to feel that hes in cyprus all alone and so i have to look after him the whole time, or listen to him moaning about the heat, bla bla bla! I keep having to remind myself that its our wedding and we should be doing what we want to do. Oh I forgot to mention, that my dad even offered to give me £700 to cancel my wedding so i wouldnt be out of pocket!!! I really could do with some helpful advice here. Am i the only one in this situation? My friends are saying i need to stop worrying and let him sort himself out, otherwise i will make myself ill, but sometimes its easier said than done. x

• spenerella
    Beginner August 2014
    spenerella ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like you went through the same process as us when we decided to get married abroad. We consulted everyone first and they were all on board. The only problem we've encountered is one of my best friends has moved out to the middle of nowhere in Portugal and he's really struggling to find an affordable flight option.

Do you think your dad is still licking his wounds over his recent split up? The wedding might be a reminder that he is now on his own which is a bit depressing.

Could he bring a mate and have a bit of a lads holiday before or after the wedding?

I also think that he might be making a fuss now but when it actually comes down to the wedding, he will be over the moon for you and will get swept up in the excitement of it all.

Hope everything sorts itself out for you x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics