Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Haley
Beginner February 2026 West Sussex

Dad can't make it to my wedding

Haley, 17 of August of 2024 at 09:59 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 1
Hi all, hoping to get some ideas.
We are getting married in the UK i'm originally from NZ. Due to health and other reasons my dad can't make it over.
He hasn't actually told me this, but i know he can't. I'd like to take the pressure off by organising something to include him in pre- wedding when we go to NZ . My mum suggested like a father of the bride party. I was thinking possibly a blessing or something. If anyone has any ideas please throw them at me.

1 replies

Latest activity by Esther, 24 of August of 2024 at 12:39
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You could do both! Have a blessing ceremony followed by a pre-wedding celebration meal. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it's more the fact that you are marking the occasion that is important.

On your actual wedding day, is it likely to be at a time when your father would be able to watch it live? If so, then make sure you can live-stream it for him. If you are having orders of service printed, then send him a copy in advance so he can have it with him as he watches. I did that for a couple of my elderly relatives who couldn't attend our wedding, and they loved it.

You might also want to carry something belong to him down the aisle with you - and if the groomsmen are wearing a specific tie for the wedding, then you could also consider sending him one.

Something one of my friends did when her mum couldn't attend a family wedding due to ill health - her mum dressed up in her wedding finery, they got the largest screen possible and zoom-called the bride and groom, so there is a photo of the bride and groom holding a screen with her face on it, and she has one of her by her computer with them on it - a lovely way of including her in the wedding photos, so you might want to consider doing something similar.

It's such a shame he can't be with you, but there are still loads of things you can do so that both you and he feel like he is being included in your day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics