Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner March 2020

Dad's new girlfriend - what to do?

SunnyIvoryCars84586, 23 of April of 2019 at 09:27 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi,

I'm getting married in less than a year and I'm planning all the usual bits (exciting!!) So whilst drawing up my guest list myself and the Mr have hit a snag... Her... My dad's new girlfriend, we shall call her Susan. This may be a bit long... So my dad cheated on my mum around 6 years ago. He has constantly lied about the whole situation saying it was my mum's choice to get a divorce out of nowhere, he hadn't done anything etc. He then kept up this facade for about 6 months saying he was 'staying with a male friend from work' eventually he admitted the truth (which we already knew as he's not very good with being subtle.

My siblings agreed to meet with her as in our eyes 'if he is happy we are happy' on the first time I met her she was nice but there was something not right i felt a bit uneasy but thought it's because of the whole cheating situation. After about 2 weeks her claws came out, she kept picking on me, shouting at me and blaming me for things that I haven't done or been anywhere near, whilst he sat there oblivious and ignoring what was going on as if he defended me he would get in the dog house with Susan. The final nail in the coffin with her was when she was screaming at me and dragging me around by my arm blaming me for breaking a wall in her garden with my car whilst at the same time her grandson (at 12 years old) was defending me saying it was his friends mum who hit it and she knew that.

Since then I have explained to my dad that I can't stand Susan, she makes me uncomfortable and nervous around her due to her hostility and her stopping him from being in contact with us (he only rings or answers his phone when he is at work). My other half doesn't like her one bit, (he came to this conclusion by watching her), she has also been hostile with my sister and brother too, not to forget she has said some very revolting things about my mum, who she hasn't met and doesn't know .

The issue is both me and my hubby to be do not want Susan at the wedding, but I think my dad will take this personally. What do I do? Am I right in saying to him she's not invited as she makes me feel uncomfortable and it's my special day which I want to share with him? Knowing Susan she will demand a invite or stop him from coming (this is her special trick she always arranges something to stop him seeing us at the last minute)

What are your thoughts?

3 replies

Latest activity by SunnyIvoryCars84586, 24 of April of 2019 at 18:46
  • Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

My thoughts are you have 3 options:

• you invite her and just deal with it
    • you don't invite her (etiquette dictates this is rude but I get why you would) and you accept dad likely wont come (really shows his true colours though)
    • you don't invite either of them
    the first might make everyone uncomfortable but the latter two could be the end of your relationship with your dad, it suck with any choice but I think its a lose/lose situation
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to have a chat with him. Don't send them an invite, try to prevent her discovering the wedding date. Tell him you'd love him to be there but you understand if he can't attend due to Susan.

If she doesn't know when it is she can't stop him attending.

• S
    Beginner March 2020
    SunnyIvoryCars84586 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for replying ? sadly he issue with inviting her is she will cause trouble one of the last times I saw her she was in my face and screaming at me over something her friends mum did ?. I don't want any fights at the wedding and I know once she has had a wine she will be worse than when she's had no alcohol sadly.

If my dad doesn't come due to Susan not coming then I am prepared for that and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me on the slightest as it wouldn't be the first time he's missed an important milestone in his children's lives due to her or himself being well selfish?

I did try to throw an olive branch to her and try again for what felt like the millionth time at my dad's dad's funderal but she didnt say hello and when she did speak to me it was short and sharp.

I agree I think I'm in a loose/loose situation too

• S
    Beginner March 2020
    SunnyIvoryCars84586 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for replying to me! That sounds like a good idea I was thinking if taking him for dinner and just opening up and explaining the situations, it shouldn't be a suprise as I have explained about 100 times my feelings and that I'd LOVE to spend time with him, go for a coffee, dinner, pint etc but just with him as she makes me feel uncomfortable and on edge waiting for her to launch at me.

Hopefully we can come to a nice solution if not it's his choice in the end of he wants to miss out. My mum has always been very supportive and involved in our lives so atleast I'll have someone who I can 100% rely on ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics