Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsToffee
Expert April 2015

Dads' Suits

MrsToffee, 18 of April of 2014 at 19:28 Posted on Planning 0 10

Two questions really-- do both dads wear same suits as groom/groomsmen and is it expected that the cost for these is covered by the couple? Thanks!

10 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 20 of April of 2014 at 07:45
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I think it's tradition that the brides dad wears the same if giving away etc, not sure about the grooms dad...my dads offered to pay for his own but we were going to pay if not. I wouldn't say the grooms dad if I had to guess but not 100% sorry..

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Yeah comfort is far more important for people I think, maybe ask what they'd prefer to wear Smiley smile

The thought of my dad in a kilt ?

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

I think traditionally the father of the bride wears the same, but not necessarily the father of the groom. Saying they, my dad is considering getting a made to measure suit - This isn't in the budget for other people (and wouldn't get enough use to justify them either). The father of the groom is getting a matching suit, as he kindly offered to pay for most of them (for groom, best man, one of the ushers, and himself - so his sons and himself). My brother is the other usher, and already has a grey suit he will wear (although I am happy to buy him one, he probably wouldn't get use out of it). My fiancé's stepdad already (who is on the top table, rather than his biological dad) already has a made to measure suit, and he will be wearing that.

Basically, although it is tradition for the father of the bride to match the other men, him and my brother will not match the others, whereas the father of the groom will!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all; not sure H2B knows that's tradition, although he didn't even know it's usual for best man and groom to match so probably not lol! Will have to see what my dad and H2B want to do.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

As far as I'm aware, the brides Dad is part of the wedding party so definitely usually wears the same, but we were told that generally the grooms Dad is included in that too. We've included both Dads in the wedding party suits.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

We have bought three lovely suits for OH and his two best men.

We have four 'ushers' (our brothers) whose only role is to arrive early and greet our guests, then they can just get drunk Smiley winking

Due to the numbers, we have just told our dads and brothers that OH and best men are wearing grey, if you want to match the colour, however as we cant afford to hire suits for all of them they are more than welcome to wear whatever they want and we wont dictate.

They all have a buttonhole to show they are in the 'wedding party'.

As our wedding is pretty non-traditional it doesnt seem weird, I guess it depends how traditonal yours is Smiley smile

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

That sounds good goldpants! We haven't budgeted for anyones suits apart from H2B and best man, could probably stretch to 2 ushers if he wants them and might offer the same as you; they can pay for the same, which will probably be hired rather than bought or have their own and just choose what they want!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

None of our men matched. You can do it however you want, there is no 'right' way. I actually think it's nice to have some people stand out as opposed to matchy matchy swirly waistcoat conformity but I appreciate lots of people like that look.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics