Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

miss_winter14
Beginner February 2014

dancefloor rules for older people?

miss_winter14, 14 of May of 2015 at 13:31 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Chuck some dancefloor rules for the older generation at me please.

all the ones i've seen are things like 'dance offs mandatory' which for people in their 40/50/60/70's..... i think it may go over their heads....

so far got:

'dance floor should be populated at all times'

'dad dancing welcome'

'use of prop box encouraged- dance yourself silly!'

what else can i do? there are some younger people invited, but the majority of guests are late 40's to early 70's, so i think things like powerslides etc are probably best left off.

any suggestions?

11 replies

Latest activity by Little Pixie , 18 of May of 2015 at 14:44
  • C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Errm - I think I'm a little offended. I'm mid forties. Off on my hen weekend tomorrow with a group of girlfriends aged between 33 and 63. None of us are old. All of us would understand the term dance off. None of us would dance around our handbags. Go with a broader range of signs and stop age profiling your guests.

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm 31 and barely understand it :/ and whilst i used age as an indication, it is more a reflection of the guest list- age is indicative of them, when you know them, but i didn't want to explain blow by blow specifically why their age would be a factor. nonetheless.....

there are many of our guests who wouldn't understand the terminology and it IS because of their age. their age has sheltered them from the vernacular. i know this for a fact.

it wasn't a world population generalisation, it was a guest list age based generalisation. if this was misunderstood, my bad, but hey ho, done now.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Dance like you're 18 ?

and I'm 42 and wasn't the least bit offended ?

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh i like that- though i may switch it out to 19, to reference that both my rentals were 19 when they married!

glad i didn't offend you.

i didn't set out to offend anyone, nor did i mean to be grumpy, though i'm fairly sure i was. just suffering big time today and it's coming out in many ways >_<

i'm tired and fed up Smiley sad

fed up with party. fed up with dissertation. fed up with illness. fed up >_<

sorry Smiley sad

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm 40 and...I dunno. I would have guessed from the OP that you were talking about a specific type of people rather than just a generalised age group. I mean I still go to bars/nightclubs with dancefloors once a month min cos H is a DJ. But these are people who don't spend much time in da club, am I right...?

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Very much so. we're talking ladies and gents who haven't been to clubs ever in some cases, let alone of late.

and modern media isn't much on their collective horizons, so it's not like they'd get exposure that way.

my uncle, in his 70's, has children my age and grandchildren too yet he genuinely wouldn't have a clue. not a scooby. you could offer him money to guess and he'd still get it wrong bless him. though to be fair until i googled it and realised what it was, i'd have been stumped to begin with too! lol could have hazzarded a guess, but would have dismissed it as it seems odd lol

if it doesn't involve a car show he can go to, or a midsommer murder he can watch, it's not on his radar lol

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I'm 63 and I put my hand up to admit I don't understand any of the phrases you mentioned - sorry ? I still go to clubs and at functions etc, me and hubby are more oft than not the first up on the floor but it has to be something good to dance to eg., Motown, Soul etc! I was a dancer in my 20's and love dancing. Personally, I wouldn't be offended by the signs but I would think it a bit odd, probably because I don't get it. Older people still like to party and I'm sure those who want to get up will do. The ones who don't either don't like dancing, can't because they aren't fit enough or prefer to talk to each other.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I'm officially in the 'old generation' but I understand what you meant. I understand all of those phrases but then I have always had a fairly young outlook in life. I still listen to radio one and download lots of modern pop. My sister on the other hand is only two years older than me and has never been in a nightclub in her life. She wouldn't have a clue what a dance off is.

Have you thought about going completely into the old etiquette rules of dance halls (which they were called back then) - and rather than calling them dance floor rules call them 'etiquette for dancing' and making them sound formal. So 'sitting for longer than fifteen minutes should be avoided at all costs'. 'It is mandatory to use the prop items whilst within the perimeter of the dance floor' Or something along those lines. Ooh ooh what about having dance cards for all the ladies like in the dance halls? Or is that too old school. 'Please ensure your dance card is full at all times'.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Dance like no one is watching :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics