Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner September 2015

David's Bridal Stratford rip off

GizmoSep15, 5 of August of 2015 at 12:54 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi All,

Had to share my experience as I'm so angry!

After a long search for Bridesmaid's dresses, I picked 2 ballgown style ones from David's Bridal in Stratford and was really happy with the service and price of £140 per dress.

We went in yesterday, all excited to see the dresses and have the alterations done and ended up leaving nearly in tears. It started when they had no record of my appointment, I had my 2 bridesmaids with me, one of whom lives in Scotland and is only over for a couple of days so I was panicking that they wouldn't be able to see me. They fitted me in which was fair enough but the service was very cold and you could tell they thought it was my mistake. They pinned the dresses up - both dresses needed the hems taking up and a small amount at the shoulders as well as tightening round the bust. Going by the price breakdowns on the wall I was expecting around £50 per dress. When the seamstress bought the invoices out I nearly fainted - £79 for one dress and £97 for the other! I was really shocked and very politely told her that it couldn't be correct and could she check it. Well, she started angrily muttering under her breath, snatched the tickets off me and stormed off. She then returned and said she'd spoken to the manager and "the price is the price" I asked to speak to someone myself. Again, I explained that the price was a lot more than I had expected going by their own price charts and the response was along the lines of "if you don't like it, don't have it done" they even suggested that I leave off some of the work to make it cheaper which would have just left the dresses looking terrible. I ended up paying for one (I had no choice due to time restrictions) and taking the other away to get done elsewhere.

Now I appreciate that they have a pricing structure but they were just so rude about the whole thing and I can't believe that they can justify those prices. I've had the one I took away looked at by an independent seamstress and she said there's no way it's an £80 job.

A word of warning - expect bad service and extortionate alteration prices, I would recommend just buying the dresses from there and planning to get them altered elsewhere. Or even better, avoid altogether

It's a shame as I was raving about them before this happened but they've completely ruined it. I'm also nervous as the seamstress was so angry about me complaining that I'm worried she'll do a bad job out of spite - she was that unpleasant about it.

Robbing cowboys.

Rant over Smiley smile

3 replies

Latest activity by GizmoSep15, 6 of August of 2015 at 11:16
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

That's such a shame, i'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience there. I've only ever heard good things myself, but it's useful to hear of someone else's experience.

Alterations can be unexpectedly costly so it's always worth (where possible) getting estimates prior to purchase. I was originally quoted £310 for my dress (not from David's bridal) after already buying and was shocked at the cost. Luckily I had a lovely lady recommended to me who's charging £25 now.

Fingers crossed that it's all sorted now though and that you have better service from now on.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about this. For what it's worth, I booked one appointment with David's Bridal (over the telephone) and there wasn't a record of it on the system. Like you, luckily they managed to find a consultant to see me. Definitely some gremlins in their booking system.

Tips for other brides - David's Bridal send a confirmation of an appointment via email after booking so I would be concerned if you didn't receive this confirmation email. If you are travelling from far away, a phone a few days beforehand is always advisable to check that the appointment is on their system.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Ah what a shame! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience!

I bought my dress from them and had I altered (go back for final fitting in 2 weeks!) And I must say they have been amazing and nothing but lovely. My first appointment for dress shopping was so amazing I even sent them a thankyou card! When I went for my first fitting they were also so so lovely, I felt theyreally went the extra mile for me! Such a shame you didn't have the same experience =(

They did charge me £180 for alterations which was alot more than I thought but I trust them and wanted to get it altered there ad they know my dress.

• G
    Beginner September 2015
    GizmoSep15 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your nice comments Smiley smile

I actually think £180 is pretty reasonable for wedding dress alterations as it's complex work, that makes me feel even more like I was ripped off lol! I think if they'd made more effort to justify the cost then I wouldn't have been so upset, they were just so rude and dismissive. I'm much calmer now anyway, I'm 30 days away from the wedding so I'm super sensitive Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics