Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chapples
Beginner June 2017

David's Bridal - worth the visit?

Chapples, 14 of June of 2016 at 16:03 Posted on Planning 0 11

So at the beginning of July I'm going to a dress shop in London in the morning that has a specific type of dress (a lot of tea length styles), & so to make a bit of a day of it, I've booked an afternoon appointment at Davids Bridal in Westfield. I'm beginning to wonder if our time might not be better spent elsewhere though - there's nothing specific I really love on their website so I'm beginning to feel like we're just going for the sake of it.

I'm already going to couple of local shops this weekend to try on lots of different style dresses so I can get a good idea of what style works best for me etc.

Has anyone bought their dress from there, & is it worth the trip?

11 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveGoldBridesmaid53389, 31 of May of 2018 at 06:26
  • Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I went to the one at Westfield and absolutely hated it. The assistant sat me down and interviewed me (yes, really) about which dresses I liked and what my wedding was like. I wasn't allowed to look at any dresses until the interview was over. I told her that I hated lace and that I hated big, princessey dresses. She then proceeded to lead me to lace dresses after lace dresses after lace dresses. I then tried on one Jenny Packham dress that I liked and she told me that I "would benefit from some control underwear" (I'm a size 10/12). She then tried to squash me into a size 6 dress....go figure.

Pretty much every dress in there is lace and they are all quite dated, in my opinion. She told me to pick out three dresses to try on and I couldn't even find three I liked. The one I did quite like, she wouldn't let me try on until I asked about five times. It was a total waste of time.

They have lovely bridesmaid dresses though! X

• S
    Beginner December 2016
    SunnyYellowCakes468 ·
    • Hide content

I went to David's Bridal in Westfields and thought it was great. I really didn't know what to expect from dress shopping and I've also never had a clear idea in my head of what dress I want. The assistant did sit down with me first to talk about the kind of wedding I was having and what I thought I liked/didn't like.I found this really helpful. She then sent me and my sister off to pick dresses that we liked while she picked three dresses she thought I would like based on our conversation. I tried on a variety of styles and quickly realised that I did not want a gown style dress as I felt it was too big but I loved the illusion lace neckline. Eventually I tried on one of her dresses and straight away I knew it was the one. It was also only £480 which I only find out after falling in love with it so that was an added bonus....now I can spend more money on my ring ?

I went at 7pm on a Saturday evening and there was only myself and one other woman in the store trying on dresses.

I enjoyed my experience there. Smiley smile

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies ladies - I am still undecided! ? I think I will see how this weekend goes at the local shops. My appointment is 3pm on a Saturday at Davids so could be v busy! The other thing that bothers me is they're advertising a massive sale at the moment, so it could be bad timing if they're in between the old & new stock, but I'll keep an open mind for now!

• T
    Beginner June 2017
    TheFutureMrsRoffey ·
    • Hide content

I have been in just for a browse, which isn't strictly allowed as it's appointment only. They didn't mind me having a little look though. I didn't see anything I liked, and I never like the dresses in the window much (I walk past frequently to get to my gym). That is just personal preference though. Even if you don't find your dress, as a previous poster said, they do some very nice bridesmaid dresses and I believe they also have accessories.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

It was just ok. It was my first time trying on dresses so I didn't really know what to expect. I didn't like the layout of the area outside the changing rooms which is all open so you will be there with a lot of other B2Bs and their entourages. The assistant offered to bring me a corset but brought me the completely wrong size which was pretty useless. At the beginning I went through the sort of styles I thought I liked (bearing in mind I'd never tried on a dress before so didn't know what suits or even know what I wanted really), so she brought me 4 dresses in a similar style. I didn't get the chance AT ALL to look through the dresses myself. I was whizzed straight to the changing area and she just brought dresses to me.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, I'm leaning towards cancelling now! I think I'll just go to the one shop in the morning, unless I can find something else in London that isn't horrifically overpriced. Where to start?! ?

• T
    Beginner June 2017
    TheFutureMrsRoffey ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress in London, at a cute little shop called London Bride Couture near Victoria. Might be worth a look!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah thank you - I will check them out!

• ChaosPixie
    Beginner October 2016
    ChaosPixie ·
    • Hide content

I Loved going shopping at David's Bridal ? I went on a saturday and it was incredibly busy but I don't think it spoiled it at all. The assistant was lovely, she even helped my Man of Honour with the various phones he had to contest with. My mum lives far away and couldn't make it down to appointment so I had her on Skype. And my two bridesmaids live abroad so Dan (my MOH) was taking pictures and videos and whatsapping them! Bit of a technology marvel but was amazing and made it so special. As I say the assistant took this all in her stride and was taking loads of pics and videos for us too ?

My favourite bit was when I thought I had found The Dress. They ask you to close your eyes and make a wish then they hand you a bell to ring and everyone in the store applauds. Such an awesome moment!!

I didn't actually buy a dress from David's Bridal in the end. Went to a wedding fair the next weekend and found my dress there from a shop in Essex called Kay Mason. The most beautiful dress I've ever seen! I cry every time I put it on! lol

Although I didn't buy a dress there in the end, I would definitely recommend going to David's Bridal. I really enjoyed it and wedding planning is about making memories with your loved ones as well as finding the perfect dress, venue, flowers etc etc. Well it is for me anyway ?

Happy shopping! x

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    SH2bSM ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dress there. Had two very lovely trips. The lady was incredibly helpful and kind, gave me a massive hug when I'd found the one and as mentioned above I closed my eyes, made a wish and rang the bell. The whole shop applauded. It was very special.

Also, if you buy your dress there you get discounts on bridemaids dresses, accessories and shoes.

However, I'd recommend going at a quiet time- I went flower girl dress shopping there on saturday and found that the person who was helping us had a large group of bridesmaids with her which meant we were ignored quite a lot (not easy when you have a child who doesnt want to keep getting changed!)

Hope you find the one! xx

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveGoldBridesmaid53389 ·
    • Hide content

Please beware of buying from this store. 1. Be warned there is a no refunds policy, which they avoid telling you about throughout your appointment. This stands no matter how badly David’s Bridal mess up your order by the way - there are multiple customer reviews of DB sending the wrong colour, size and dress, missing the wedding date deadline altogether and still refusing to refund customers. I was rushed though a questionnair at the start of my appointment and told it was just a few questions about my wedding day. I was in fact waiving my rights to any refund unbeknownst to me as I was hurried along to my appointment having filled in questions about bridesmaids and colour schemes. 2. I was heavily pressured into buying my dress on the day and told there wouldn’t be enough time for alterations (my wedding was over 3 months away). Apparently even a day’s wait to decide wouldn’t work. 4. I was later told alterations would cost a third of the value of the dress minimum. From what I understand from other reviewers DB appear to order the wrong size and make a lot of money on altering your dress. I can see from my order it is one size too big already but they are adamant it is correct. 5. Upon payment treatment changed entirely for the worst - no comment or appointment for alterations. I called within 24hours to cancel my order and was told only then that I had an alterations appointment some time in 8 weeks - no specific date and contrary to the immediacy of the situation in their sales pitch. 6. My partner and I called separately numerous times to speak to a manager and ask for a refund, which I was told was not possible and that I signed any right to this away in the form and there is no going back.

Note: If your dress needs alterations I would seek to have them done elsewhere as they are a fraction of the price. Also pay with a card the will give you at least some of your money back if you are unhappy (e.g. American Express), because you won’t get a penny from DB.

My partner, friends, family and I will be sure to warn everyone we know about the malpractices of David’s Bridal. Please do not leave such an important and expensive decision in the hands of people who do not even see you as a consumer with rights, let alone someone who is planning one of the most significant days of their life xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics