Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner September 2017

Day after bbq

willow_rose , 15 of September of 2016 at 18:00 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi,

So I am renting a holiday home for myself and the bridesmaids etc the night before the wedding. Myself and hubby will be staying there the night of and probably the next day too to relax and chill.

My question is what are everyone's thoughts on a relaxed informal bbq the day after the wedding? Just a casual get together for those that have travelled and are staying or the local ones just to catch up, make the most of the house and I suppose any excuse for another gathering.

Has anyone else done something similar. I have heard of people meeting or breakfast/brunch the following day at the hotel but ours is not a hotel wedding.

Any thoughts or similar stories?

Thanks.

7 replies

Latest activity by HappyBlueCars582, 23 of September of 2016 at 22:27
  • F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking of saying to very close family and BM's, ushers etc about maybe coming round to our house the day after just for an informal party if they are still around. We are staying at a different hotel on our wedding night to everyone else so we won't be able to have breakfast with them. Our parents and siblings will be doing a lot of chauffeuring/chasing people/tidying up the morning after the wedding, so I thought it would be a nice way for them to relax in the afternoon.

My future SIL and BIL had a HUGE party at her parents house the day after they got married, but as a guest I honestly found it exhausting as it was almost like another wedding reception (hence why I want a very, very small gathering of people the day after at my house!).

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a lovely idea when people have travelled and I've seen reports before from people who did this. The only thing I would suggest is you check that the house owners don't have any objections. You don't want someone turning up complaining.

• FutureMrsO'L
    Beginner April 2018
    FutureMrsO'L ·
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of a casual get together the day after for anyone that is around. It'll give you & your OH the opportunity to catch up with people on the days events & things that you may have missed Smiley smile

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a great idea! Thinking of doing the same thing myself although I'll see nearer the time how much else I have to sort out! ?

• JayneysGettingMarried
    Beginner June 2017
    JayneysGettingMarried ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a lovely idea. But I'm with Chapples, I don't want to add to the stress!!

• W
    Beginner September 2017
    willow_rose ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advise. Will have a think about it. Maybe see if anyone would be interested first....I have a feeling people will be feeling a little delicate so may just want to chill out. Will defo keep it low key if we do. Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner May 2015
    Helen-Bells&Blossom ·
    • Hide content

This sounds lovely. But only do it if it won't add to the stress!

We had one after our wedding because it was out of town and everyone had travelled. We had golf in the afternoon for anyone who was interested and then a light buffet in the golf club afterwards. My Dad paid for a musician to come who played the guitar and sang lots of old time favourites. We had a great time because for my husband and I we got to relax a bit with our friends and catch up on the gossip from the day before. Our guests enjoyed it because as they were staying over it gave them somewhere to go. I think we had it about 5 - 8pm, which was a good time because it didn't drag out.

I've been to quite a few Day 2 events. I think they work where you're out of town, but generally where people have gone home people tend to crawl in to bed exhausted! So my advice would be - think about what you and your partner want. If it's to catch up with family, a small do in the house might be nice. If it's to keep the party going, will your friends be up for it? Also it can be an additional expense on top of the wedding that some of your friends might not be able to afford.

Hope that helps, and best wishes for the big day!

Helen x

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

As a wedding guest I would rather just get home after the actual wedding to recover and have some time to myself before I have to go back to work on the Monday but I guess it's up optional and not that they have to come to it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics