Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2013

daytime - evening table centrepieces

hlc75, 8 April, 2013 at 07:15 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi All

Im after a bit of advice on table centrepieces. Are you changing your centrepieces for your evening reception?

I had never really thought about it before, but im having foot high vases with flowers in and im now a bit concerned that these could be quite dangerous on the evening once everyone has had a few drinks and gets a bit rowdy, would hate one to get knocked over and cut/injure somebody!

What do you all think? and if you are changing the centrepieces on a evening what are you having on your tables

Thanks in advance x

12 replies

Latest activity by hlc75, 10 April, 2013 at 19:34
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

How rowdy are you expecting your reception to get?!

Of all the weddings I've been involved with, never once has a centre piece been knocked over or injured someone! I've heard of some being pinched as a drunken momento (said theif posting a pic of themself with it on FB wasn't the best move!) but that's it!

I'd say changing the centrepieces for evening would be an un required expense! If you are really worried about it, could you have the option of having a high vase with an arrangement of flowers on that could be lifted off and placed on the table without vase in the evening?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't go to the expense of having different centrepieces for the evening. We supply tall vases and have never had any problem with them. The tables are usually well away from the dancefloor or bar where the action is!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

No way- they're expensive enough as it is without having to buy a second set!

I've never been to a wedding where things have become 'rowdy', leading to things being smashed either!

• germaki
    Beginner October 2013
    germaki ·
    • Hide content

I'm having hurricane vases with pillar candles for my centrepieces, and for the evening I plan to move them outside onto the terrace which leads from our reception room to light up the terrace.

Could the venue move them to somewhere safe when they change the room around for the evening part? That way if your worried they will be kept safe at least.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Couldnt you have lights in the vase water to light up in the evening, rather than a seperate centrepiece?

I used floralytes which are waterproof lights that go in the water. There are several varieties & colours. There are also LED bases which would be handy as could be turned on easier than submersible lights.

I've never heard of anyone changing their centrepieces for the evening, nor being injured from them!

• M
    Beginner November 2013
    Maggiemayyr2 ·
    • Hide content

Im not changing our centrepieces for the evening because We are not having an evening reception. We decided that because a number of the guests we would have invited for the evening might not have attended for reasons of distance and weather ( we are getting married in November) It might be a waste of money and food to have a seperate reception. We ttalked to our venue and decided to up the number of people for our afternoon wedding breakfeast and not have the evening reception. Some of our flowere are being taken from our wedding venue to the reception venue as it has to be cleared straight away after the service. Hopefully this will save on the cost of flowere as I feel as family members who you would normally give centerpieces to will be travelling and may not be able to take them.

Hope this helps

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack, but what about in our situation - ceremony downstairs, then wedding breakfast is upstairs (so centrepieces will be up there) & then evening reception is back downstairs! Would seem a bit weird taking them downstairs? Not sure though, wonder if any OMs had a similar set up??

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I did consider getting more centre pieces for the evening because my evening reception is in a different room. As money is tight I'm having them all moved from the wedding breakfast room. I've just gotta hope nothing gets wrecked in the process lol! I'm also having my chairs carried through because I think it's a shame for them to sit in the other room looking all pretty.

• FlickAndZeb
    Beginner September 2013
    FlickAndZeb ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't buy 2 lots! I'm having candles which can be lit during the sit down meal but not during the evening which is standard so I might buy replacement tea lights, battery operated, to use instead. If people are getting rowdy surely you'd kick them out before giving them the chance to trash anything? :/

For hijacked question ?
    If you've paid for them, use them! If there's a lift ask the venue staff to move them for you! If there isn't a lift - ask them anyway!

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, thank you ? no lift, so gonna be cheeky! If they say no, gonna be extra cheeky and ask a couple of family members perhaps? One each... Luckily the stairs aren't that steep and it's not much distance.

• FlickAndZeb
    Beginner September 2013
    FlickAndZeb ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure the price you've paid for the venue is enough to cover the staff costs plus bonus so tell them that's what NEEDS to happen Smiley smile I don't think it's fair on family members and staff shouldn't expect not to do it xXx

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I shall grow some balls ? thank you for the nudge, you are right!!

• H
    Beginner September 2013
    hlc75 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies, you have made me realised i would be mad to fork out more money for a change of table decorations! Will save my money and put it towards the honeymoon Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics