Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2021

Dealing with family opinions?

megan894, 9 of August of 2019 at 17:17 Posted on Planning 0 3

My partner and I are recently engaged and not looking to marry until summer 2021 so we have plenty of time to save for our dream wedding. However, close family members (especially my mother) have been really opinionated about our ideas, criticising them for being too "posh", inconsiderate of what other people will want, and not staying true to ourselves.

These family members had really small weddings when they got married. So I think are struggling to understand why we would want to spend more on a wedding, rather than have a small wedding and use savings for other things. However, it's causing arguments, and making the whole planning stage really stressful/depressing, when it was initially really exciting. I really want to keep involving them in planning, especially my mum, as I always imagined it as something we would talk about and plan together. But if it's happening this soon, really concerned about how it will progress closer to the wedding date..

Has anyone else had to deal with similar issues/opinionated family members? Or any advice about how to incorporate family without these arguments? I knew everyone would have an opinion but really struggling to deal with some of the things being said!

3 replies

Latest activity by megan894, 12 of August of 2019 at 17:33
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, if I could do it all again, I wouldn't tell anyone anything! We've still kept a fair few things under wraps, but when we've mentioned certain things to people, it's usually ended up with spiralling costs.

We're very happy with what is happening, but it would have been so much easier and cheaper to do it with no input!

However if you do want to get them involved, look around for a well-organised wedding fair to go to. My mum and stepmum LOVED this, and when your family just what a big business the wedding industry is, they may well get the bug too! Plus you can pick up some good promotions at the fairs.

Hope this helps! X

• L
    Savvy August 2021
    LuxuriousGreenHair66000 ·
    • Hide content

We have the same problem. H2B was worried it would be too posh but we came to a middle ground after seeing venues.

(He'd always idealised a small church/village hall/registry office type - the same his mum had).

MIL on the other hand had a very small wedding at a registry office, followed by going straight to honeymoon. She was even a little upset that the guests went to one of her family member's house for tea and cake afterwards!

Now I did not want an expensive wedding with a 20k dress and whatnot, but my view of a wedding was more 'traditional' (church with reception, plated meal breakfast and dancing). She is constantly worried that it will be to expensive/posh, even though she is not the one paying for it. I understand the sentiment (you do not need to spend a lot of money for a good wedding), and she is a lovely person but we do disagree.

I try to keep a bit of a distance when it comes to wedding planning, but try to make her feel listened to. I would involve your mum in certain things (i.e. dress, bouquet flowers etc) rather than everything. You could try to make her understand a little more if you think that will help - take her to the venue you have decided on to see the place in person. Or try to come to a middle ground (pick a more casual venue that still has the breakfast, go without a DJ, have a plainer cake etc) as we are also trying to do.

Of course my situation is a little different from yours as its my future MIL and not my mum but I hope this helps a bit, if only to say you are not alone. My tip is to limit her involvement so much.

• M
    Beginner June 2021
    megan894 ·
    • Hide content

That definitely does help thank you so much for the advice! I think I've definitely been involving her a little too much in the bigger things rather than drawing a line and showing that it's still my wedding and not hers...

It is reassuring to know it's not just my family that have these opinions! Think I just need to get better at saying no to people's ideas..?

• M
    Beginner June 2021
    megan894 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I think keeping most things to ourselves is definitely the way to go from now on!

The wedding fair is such a good idea, I hadn't thought of that! Definitely a good way of getting them involved without the stress of having all my ideas critiqued! ?

Thank you for the help! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics