Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

Debate topic #4 Selfies show an arrogant personality

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 20 of November of 2013 at 11:03

Posted on Off Topic Posts 44

https://www.sparknotes.com/blog/the-pros-and-cons-of-taking-selfies/ Does the posting of "selfies" onto social media indicate an arrogant nature? Is it that different to posting a more natural or even professional photo of yourself? Why do people post selfies? What are they trying to show?

Https://www.sparknotes.com/blog/the-pros-and-cons-of-taking-selfies/

Does the posting of "selfies" onto social media indicate an arrogant nature? Is it that different to posting a more natural or even professional photo of yourself? Why do people post selfies? What are they trying to show?

44 replies

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I've tried countless times to take a selfie, but I just can't take a good one. I like the ones that H and I take on holiday of both of us, but that's different.

Plus my eye goes wonky if I look at what I'm taking!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I've never done one of me on my own, though I have done a couple of me and H in various places.

I do think they're attention seeking, but then isn't most of what we post on social media? I post stuff about my exam results, others post about fab new things they've bought or holidays they're going on, or moan about things and get lots of sympathy.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

They annoy me unless from people who are genuinely hot. Rod is included in this hot catergory

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a very interesting point (although I can't remember the last time I posted anything that wasn't a political/social rant, or a wry observation!).

So let's take an example of two posts:

1. Selfie + "Woohoo, night out with girls" = tell me I'm beautiful.

2. "Woohoo, results in, 97% on exam X" = tell me I'm clever.

Why am I annoyed by the former so much more than the latter? In fact, why do I view the latter with admiration and congratulations, while the former makes me want to punch my computer screen?

I suspect it is because I place far more value on brain stuff rather than face stuff (because I don't view looking pretty as any kind of achievement)?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I'd go opposite*. I am less annoyed with less hot people posting, than with hot people posting. Hot people don't need to post selfies and generate attention. Perhaps I think less hot people can be indulged more, and I am more likely to post nice things about their appearance - maybe they need the confidence boost. This, of course, ignores the fact that hot people can be unconfident (this is not a word, am having a brain freeze on the appropriate antonym) and assumes that more average people always need a boost.

*Not regarding Rod's hotness.

Edit: actually, scrub this (although I'll leave for discussion). I have definitely commented on photos of people I genuinely think are hot. Perhaps it just depends on my mood at the time...

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i love you x

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Honestly I don't want close ups of ugly rotters in my news feed but everyone appreciates a pretty face. Tis art!!!

love you too rodster

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I react in a very similar way (I bet you're so surprised by that! ?) I'm far more likely to "like" someone posting about an exam success than a random photo. I have lots of medic friends though, many of whom are taking exams and sharing results, so it's a not-insignificant part of my life.

I know some of it is down to luck - I have a good brain and parents who were supportive of my education; other people are naturally (much) prettier and had parents/friends who taught them how to do make-up etc well. However, I know how damn hard some of those exams are and that there's so much more work goes into them than goes into putting on a faceful of slap and a nice dress and taking a pic, so I think my bias is a little bit justified!

Though I think selfies are lower down my "facebook annoyances" list than 1)bitter vaguebooking and 2)wittering about your "little princess."

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Just saw this and thought of this thread:

http://www.viralnova.com/what-happened-during-these-11-selfies-is-simply-insane-especially-the-last-one-whoa/

• Horace
    Dedicated November 2013
    Horace ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree. Most people want to feel good about something they do, are, have or think. And most people like to be congratulated on their excellence. I see it as no different to share success stories, exam results, amazing offspring, exciting travel plans and clever observations to those who want to show off a gorgeous face. It is still showing off.

I post the odd selfie, and if I look nice then good, it will become my profile pic and I will be pleased if anyone comments and says I look nice!. The bad, drunken ones are shared for general banter and amusement purposes. Almost all my and OH's joint holiday pics are selfies because it's tiresome to bother strangers for photos of us together.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics