Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

Decorating help again please

pandorasbox, 21 of May of 2013 at 12:27 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

I am so helpless at sorting my life out, can anyone give me some tips on how to make my living room nice please?

We had our hideous fireplace out and the builders have put up the dado rail again, which to my mind instantly dates the room, but OH quite likes it. We were going to go for a feature wall and leave the rest alone, because it goes through into a dining room as well (having the whole lot re-papered and painted would be a bit more money than we wanted to spend right now. However am wavering on that, thinking if we got it done at least it would be done for a while.) But since the dado rail is on, would a feature wall still work? Was wondering about maybe having two colours seperated by the dado, but would that work at all?

7 replies

Latest activity by Kyle, 17 of February of 2024 at 11:08
  • AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I've got dado rails all over my house and have painted different colours above and below. Because the house is small with small separate rooms, I have stuck to the same colour above the rail throughout the house (sort of off white) and used a taupey mushroom downstairs and duck egg blue upstairs below the rail.

It's a combination of continuity and making it a bit more interesting.

Blimey, that sounds disgusting!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

You could have a feature paper above and below or paint. I would go with the same on both side though

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your thoughts ladies. AC I can't picture yours at all! LP thanks for that pic, it does look more modern and stylish than I thought dados could look. That feature wall looks good, plus they have sort of made the dado rail stand out a bit in itself. Ours is all one cream colour the same as the walls.

I am now thinking the feature wall should be smooth (poss just paint?) but bright colour to contrast with the endless cream. Then maybe pick out the dado in something other than just cream, poss a bright white to really be bold.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

There's a cafe in Reading that has a stunning tea room. The below dado is dark grey paint, the above is painted light grey and then the dado, skirting and coving are all white. It looks stunning. Its why I went with grey for my living room!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Love the new fire, looks fab Smiley smile

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks CK! Noisy as flurp but looks nice when on. Is the whole room of the tea room done in the greys? I am pondering about either a grey, mushroom or very pale caramely-brown for the feature wall or if to go for something uber bright. Hugely bright may be too much of a contrast with the old-timey wall paper though.

• K
    Illinois
    Kyle ·
    • Hide content

Did you lose your BTC to online theft or mistakenly sent your funds to a wrong wallet address and you are trying to recover your funds/cryptocurrency. I suggest you contact Hack Recovery Support on their address, HACKRECOVERY (at) YANDEX (dot) RU, their team of experts are really good in funds recovery and was the service support that helped me recover by BTC lost to online theft. I hope this helps.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics