Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MissKB
Beginner June 2014

Decorating the Church - HELP!

MissKB, 23 of July of 2013 at 15:28 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hey Everyone!

So we FINALLY got permission from the Archbishop to marry at a lovely little church in the village we live in. Bit of back story - This church was the parish church 500 years ago, but was replaced by a much larger church, and was made redundant in the 1970's. We therefore needed a special license to get married there, which came through this week. Special licenses are only granted in exceptional circumstances, which we qualified for as I have several generations of family resting in the cemetary there, including my brother who died when I was 4

Anyway, because the church is redundant, it has no lighting or electricity, and I am starting to worry about how to make the interior of it look amazing without spending too much money. The front pews are box pews, andI was contemplating making my own pew ends with gypsophila, but I would want to put these in place the day before and I dont know how they would last out of water for 12-24 hours? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance Smiley smile xx

13 replies

Latest activity by MissKB, 24 of July of 2013 at 12:40
  • minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

Could you not make up bunches of Gyp and put attach them onto the pew ends in test tubes with water?

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

I could do, but because the church is protected im unable to fix anything to the wood. Sooooooo am thinking I need to use some "S" shaped hooks, with one side hooked over the door and the other to hang some flowers/something from. Would a plastic water tube work? I could then set it all up on the Friday and hopefully not worry about the flowers wilting overnight?

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

Or glass jars or bottles?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I think that church interior looks amazing anyway.

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

Ah thank you Smiley smile I would just like to make it feel a bit more welcoming and weddingy. I like the idea of hanging something maybe over the bar that goes across the middle of the church although im not sure how we'd get up there.

There are two other raised areas either side of the alter, which i'm planning on getting either a string quartet or similar to sit to provide the music. Due to the lack of any amenities the ceremony will only be short, probably with just one hymn and one reading.

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Hi !

We had to get a special licence too to get married in my school chapel - havemt seen it yet but apparently the licence is really fancy!

What about great big lanterns along the aisle? you can hire them. If candles are not allowed get led ones, you can get them in chunky pillars!

How about silk hydrangeas? My friend actually used real ones, tied a tiny bag of water around tehe stems, and tied on long white bows. Stunning.

At the chapel where we will get married my florist is using hooks too, why don;t you look on floristry supplies for them?

xxx

• Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

What time of year are you getting married?

it's a beautiful little church.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

That's amazing news that permission was granted! I was hoping you'd update with the outcome!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Gyp would most likely flop if hung the day before without a water supply as the stems are very thin and don't hold much moisture in them. The hook pew ends that florists use have foam discs attached that are soaked in water before arranging flowers in them so that would work if you have the time to do them yourself the day before.

Another idea would be to use small white button chrysanths which have the look of daisies which you could tie together with ribbon and tie on the end of the pew. Chrysanths are extremely long lasting and have 'woody' stems which are thicker so hold more moisture for longer out of water and look just as pretty!

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advice ladies, it's good to know that there is something we can do. We're getting married in June, so there will be some lovely summery flowers available. I might look into some more long lasting flowers as I know the church would like u to leave some of the arrangements in place. Our florist is providing two urns for the alter and two rose and bay trees for in front of the door. We're actually having lanterns as our table centre pieces so if I can get someone to move them from the church to the venue I would love to have them down the aisle. That was the original plan until we were told we couldn't have real candles, but if led candles would work then we could still do it!!

Ill look into some options and maybe flash what I come up with!!

Xx

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful church, definately less is more with regards to decoration. Could you have someone go in the morning of the wedding to tie small bunches of gyp. on to the pews with ribbon? If done late they won't need to be in water? I'm surprised that the church is encouraging you to leave arrangements when it is dis-used?

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

My mum is decorating our church with flowers at this moment for our wedding tomorrow. She has these things called mini-decks, which are basically little pads of oasis, about 3" diameter, on a plastic disc base. The plastic base has slits on either side that you can feed ribbon through so it can be tied around the pew end. The pad of oasis is then against the pew end and flowers and trailing greenery or whatever cascade beautifully down from it. No need to be messing around with test tubes of water!

• Guy Wade
    Guy Wade ·
    • Hide content

I think the only decoration this place needs is the story you told us about why this place is so special printed as an introduction to the order of service.

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

Ah thank you Guy. Maybe I'll just stick with having some small bunches on the pew ends, and I love the idea of printing our special link with the church on the order of service, hopefully people will then share our love of it. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics