Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ampy
Beginner October 2013

Decree Absolute

Ampy, 11 of October of 2012 at 14:23 Posted on Planning 0 9

I know this isn't really wedding planning as such - although it will halt my wedding planning if I can't resolve it.

Does anyone know what a decree absolute looks like?

My H2B was married about 15 years ago and we've had to go through a ridiculous process with the courts to obtain a copy of his Decree Absolute. They sent us a document which stated very clearly at the bottom "This is not a decree absolute".

I wrote back saying that I didn't think it was the D/A - they have sent me another copy of the same document without the para at the bottom saying it is not the D/A.

Any ideas?

I have tried googling to find out what one looks like but I can't find an image of it (or I'm not convinced it is the right thing).

Obviously I would be incredibly miffed to plan a wedding, fly to the destination and then find we can't get married as we don't have the right paperwork aarrgghh.

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place - I wasn't really sure where to put it :-(

xxx

9 replies

Latest activity by Ampy, 11 of October of 2012 at 20:28
  • porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

I would take it to your local registrar, as you would have to do to give notice to marry, and see what they say. They are the ones that would need to accept it as evidence of divorce, or can you see a solicitor?

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

It will say: -

Referring to the decree made in this case on , where it was agreed that the marriage solemnised on

At the church of

Between

And

Be dissolved unless sufficient cause be shown to the court within six weeks from the making thereof why the said decree should not be made absolute, and no such cause having been shown, it is hereby certified that the said decree was on the , made final and absolute and that the said marriage was thereby dissolved.

Dated

Also in the bottom right hand corner it should say (Decree Absolute)

Hope this helps xxx

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It does say all of the but doesn't say Decree Absolute in the bottom corner.

Hmm, as we are getting married abroad I will ensure I check everything out beforehand.

The funny thing was when it came through my H2B said it had arrived and he'd filed in with our passports - imagine if I hadn't looked at it ?

xxx

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Okay, take it to your local court (County Court) and they will be able to tell you or alternatively take it into your local Citizen Advice Bureau where there will be a solicitor who can advise.

I work in Croydon Solicitors so unless you're near me I can't help.

By the way if it has all of that wording on it then it states in that the divorce is made absolute which means it is Decree Absolute but no harm in checking with someone who can actually see that

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks I will definitely get it checked - it's a bit worrying when you can't rely on a court to send yuo the right paperwork eek xx

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

I know its not the same but would anyone know? my nisis is on the 23rd Nov 2012 and I know it is 6 weeks 1 day for the DA, someone said I had to apply fr the DA is this true and who do I apply to

Thanks Tina

Should fingers crossed be getting married on 2nd Feb 2013

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Tina

Yes you do have to apply for the Decree Nisi to be made Absolute. You must get the form from the Court where the proceedings were issued and you should do this soon if you're getting married next year. How do you know it will be made on 23rd November 2012?? You wouldn't know the date, do you mean you have the Nisi and will be able to get the Absolute on that date.

There is a court fee for this but you will have to check how much with your local court.

Karen

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

If you email me I can send you copies of mine and OH's - they are both different and say slightly different things. ***********@*******.***

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I'm a divorce/family lawyer.

Does it have a reference to affecting your will at the bottom?

Court fee for the other girl who asked for DA is £45 - cheque made payable to HMCTS.

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content

Hi Yes it does - is that a good thing? Eek

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics