Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Savvy June 2024 Kent

Decree absolute help

loubielou, 25 of January of 2024 at 15:03 Posted on Planning 0 4
Hi, I am due to get married in June. I have previously been married 2, I have the decree absolute from the second marriage. When we go to give notice does anyone know if I have to have a copy of the decree absolute for the first married too?

I don’t have the first marriage decree absolute, obviously showed it when we gave notice to marry in the second wedding but it’s been lost.
Any help would be great. Thank you!

4 replies

Latest activity by Amy, 29 of January of 2024 at 16:13
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I suspect you will need to evidence all the name changes so will need it. I would ask your registrar ls office as they will know. You can order a copy of it online, costs about £15 I think
  • Kristina
    Curious October 2025 Somerset
    Kristina ·
    • Hide content
    Hi . I have been looking into this myself . I have been married once before and information I found it says they only need decree absolute from the most recent marriage. Even if u been married a few times . But different areas of the country might ask for different documents. I am south west . You should be able to find this online.

• L
    Savvy June 2024 Kent
    loubielou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I ended up calling the registry office back, explained the suitation and the guy said they only care and need the decree for the most current ended marriage, as the decree for the first marriage would’ve been seen when getting married the second time.
    If your current decree is in your married name but you reverted back to your maiden name now and will get married in your maiden name you will need to show your old marriage cert to show that you were your maiden name, got married, divorced and reverted back to maiden name by default. Hope that makes sense!
  • A
    Beginner July 2025 Ceredigion
    Amy ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to jump in on this! Can I ask if the decree absolute is just a letter from the court? That's all my partner has and he says that its enough but I am starting to worry that there should be a certificate or something!! Thanks

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics