Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Dizzycaz
Beginner October 2014

Deed poll not a legal document!!

Dizzycaz, 10 of August of 2014 at 09:19 Posted on Planning 0 2

Finally went to Gretna yesterday to take M10 forms in

I changed my surname a few years back so took birth cert and deed poll, registrar came out about 10 mins later to advise me on a few things

1. OHs occupation as he works offshore, so they need more info

2. My fathers occupation again they needed more info

3. My deed poll. An English change of name is not a legal document in Scotland.

The registrar was really lovely though and he just wrote my former surname on the form and that the minister wouldn't have to mention my former name at any part of ceremony, so it's all sorted and now feels more real now the legal bit is done Smiley smile

just thought I'd share this if anyone else has changed name in England but getting married in Scotland as I had no idea it wasn't a legal document in Scotland

2 replies

Latest activity by RizzieRazzle, 11 of August of 2014 at 00:06
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Interesting. All the deed poll websites claim it is a "UK" document, which includes Scotland (at least for now!) I am getting married at Gretna and haven't sent my forms in yet as it's too soon, but RizzleRazzle has hers and they never mentioned to her that her deed poll wasn't legal - or if they did she didn't post about that. Thanks for the heads up though.

• Dizzycaz
    Beginner October 2014
    Dizzycaz ·
    • Hide content

Hi InkedDoll

Yeah I assumed as it's a uk document it included Scotland but I guess with all the different laws they have for other things this is probably why.

It wasn't an issue though he was just advising me that was the case so nothing to worry about

• RizzieRazzle
    Beginner August 2014
    RizzieRazzle ·
    • Hide content

Nope - didn't mention to me about the deed poll thing! But I'm all sorted now too - they said the same thing to me as to you about the not mentioning the former surname. It'll just be in brackets AND you don't need those damn deed poll documents afterwards haha Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics