Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Delayed honeymoon for teachers!

24 October, 2011 at 11:35 Posted on Planning 0 15

Any other teachers out there unable to get their wedding date in the holidays? I've got end of Easter holidays (bc I don't want to wait any longer), but won't be able to take a honeymoon until the Summer. Anyone else in the same boat? Where are you going?

JB x

15 replies

Latest activity by Katscamel, 25 October, 2011 at 05:48
  • LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Hi, yes we are going on honeymoon at the end of Feb. we planned to go February half term but I managed to get permission to have a week off a little later. I do learning support so it's a little easier for me to be out of school.

I was told though that I was only being allowed to go because it is a special occasion (without pay)

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mr C managed to get the time off in March because it was booked before he signed his permanent contract.

It was unpaid though and he is an "instructor" as opposed to a "teacher".

Timing wise it meant we got back from honeymoon on the Tuesday night, he went back to school for 2 days then had the easter holidays!! Bah!

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

We booked our date entirely around the school hols! We both felt quite strongly that we wanted to have a honeymoon straight after the wedding so we could really chill out and spend some quality time together. We wanted 2 weeks for the honeymoon, but didn't want to use an entire holiday for it because then I wouldn't have time to get planning done (!!) which only left the Summer hols really.

Initially we planned an August wedding, just after we get back from the olympics. That lasted all of 1 day because even though I was full of good intentions (get all my planning and room prep done in the first 2 weeks, then wedding prep, then Olympics, then wedding!) I knew I'd never settle to any work with the wedding on it's way! As such we've now booked for the first Saturday of the school holidays! OH is taking a full 2 weeks off work, even though we're only now planning on going away for 1 week, but thought we could spend the second week doing things together, writing thank you cards, looking at photos etc. Then I have 1 week to go back into school and sort my classroom, then it's the Olympic event we have tickets for, then still 3 weeks of holidays left to just generally enjoy married life!

Teacher's honeymoons are tricky though aren't they! All we REALLY want to do is see the Northern Lights, and July is not a good time for that. If I didn't teach, we'd have had an Autumn wedding (my favourite time of year) and then gone to Norway for honeymoon. As it is, July isn't good for viewing the Northern Lights, plus all travel is stupidly expensive in school holidays (especially Summer!) so we're having a UK based 'boutique hotel' type honeymoon for 1 week straight after the wedding and then will save up for the Northern Lights in an Autumn half term, probably 2013 rather than 2012.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

My friends did this. They got married just after Christmas and went on honeymoon in the summer! They did have a mini moon straight after the wedding though.

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    Littlelaura82 ·
    • Hide content

We get married the Saturday at the start of the summer half term holiday. We are then taking advantage of the double bank holiday to take a mini-moon. Our proper honeymoon will be in the summer Hols after the Olympics. We only live a few miles from the Olympic park and have been watching it grow over the last 5 years, we couldn't have missed it for the world... Not even our wedding/honeymoon could sway us!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrswebb2b ·
    • Hide content

Im not a teacher but we are having to plan our honeymoon around school hols because we have a little boy who my mum will be looking after and she is a teacher,

We get married 22nd June and will hopefully be going on honeymoon first week of the summer hols, we havent booked anything yet we may even wait and see if we can get something last minute. If we dont do that it will be later in the year x

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We are mad keen scooterists and we met at a scooter rally. There is a scooter rally once a year in Vegas (that we have never been able to attend) so that dictated when we went honeymoon, after much sweet talk to the head, ,

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

We're both university lecturers and have the same problem. getting married new years eve, taking a couple of nights in a hotel then but have to be back for marking. taking honeymoon at easter. going to thailand Smiley smile

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    Victoria030384 ·
    • Hide content

My OH and i are both teachers and because we wanted his little boy at the wedding and to go on honeymoon when we didnt have him it had to be the end of the 2nd week in August for us. That way we are both off work in the two weeks prior to the wedding for last minute details. Also it means his son can be involved at this time too which is nice. Then we have him for the wedding and he goes back the day after to his mums leaving us 2 weeks for honeymoon then a further 2 weeks before going back to work! It was exactly as we wanted it which is why we have booked so far in advance.

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    Snowberry ·
    • Hide content

I am a teacher, we are getting married August 16th and not honeymooning until the following Easter as it needs to be a 2 week break and I dont want to be away for Christmas!

Means we have to wait a long time but we will be able to save up to go somewhere great.

We will probably go away for the weekend after the wedding.

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Who cares - it's YOUR wedding!!

Although we've ear-marked a fortnight off, we've currently only booked the first 2 nights - we're going for a last minute deal Smiley smile

• HappyAnnie
    Beginner April 2012
    HappyAnnie ·
    • Hide content

Hey Jenny, I'm a teacher and we are getting married Easter Sunday and going on a 2 week honeymoon 30th July. I'm actaully quite pleased with how it has worked out - I know there will be a come down when returning to work after the wedding but then 3 months later we jet off to Dubai and Sechelles! Yippeee!

We are doing a mini moon straight after, originally thought of Paris but then we've spent an arm and a leg on the main honeymoon so we're heading to London for 3 nights instead (restaurants, shopping, theatre: can't wait!)

Good luck planning (nice to be planning something other than school work!)

• B
    Beginner April 2012
    Brimbletobe ·
    • Hide content

We're doing this too! Getting married right at the end of the Easter holidays next year (would have prob chosen earlier in the hols but booked quite late!) and then going on honeymoon in the summer holidays, before the olympics. Think it'll be nice to have something to plan and look forward to after we're married!

• purpletaff
    Beginner June 2012
    purpletaff ·
    • Hide content

We are gettIng married at the beginning of June half term. Waiting til August for honeymoon to Menorca with our two kids due to me being a teacher x

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

I'm a teacher/trainer in Tanzania and we don't get the usual holidays you guys have. Instead our 40days (☹️) is spread out during the year. I'm going to try and wangle a shorter holiday earlier in the year to be able to have the week off before our wedding on 3rd August. Then we'll have the weekend in Zanzibar (where we're getting married) before I have to go bck to work on the Monday. We're planning honeymoon for December when we have xmas hols.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics