Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Scottishterrier

dental help

Scottishterrier, 6 of August of 2009 at 14:17 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

This morning i had 15 teeth(all upper and 2 lower) removed and a new plate put in. when i woke up they told me all had gone well and to go back to my regular dentist in 2 days for a check over.

have just woken up and my new teeth are hideous, far bigger that what was there before and seem to sit really far forward compared to my lower teeth..i'm feeling really distraught about this, i look like something from a horror movie. is it possible that it just looks worse so soon after surgery and if not does anyone know what the price would be for a plate if i were to go private?

thank you in advance and apologies for any mistakes i'm still a bit out of it(and weepy) x

8 replies

Latest activity by Reon, 27 of June of 2021 at 11:44
  • Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

Eek that sounds like a pretty traumatic thing to go through all in one go!!

I'd expect there would be a certain amount of swelling going on from the extractations. H had an upper wisdom tooth taken out nearly a month ago and he was pretty swollen and sore just from that.

I really hope things settle down for you soon and that the appearance of your new teeth improves for you, definitely go and see your usual dentist in a couple of days and seek their advice on the fitment of the new teeth.

Meanwhile take it very easy and I hope your mouth doesn't feel too sore. ?

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

Your first denture after extractions is known as a temp denture. The bone and gum shrinks dramatically after multiple extractions so the denture you have now probably won't fit in a few months.

You can then get a new one made that will look much better. Remember that the dental lab making the denture wouldnt have had much to go on as they usually make them custom fit etc yet yours can't be like that as you had your own teeth when the denture was made.

Thats a lot of teeth to get out in one go! Have you ever had the dental implants option discussed with you?

• Scottishterrier
    Scottishterrier ·
    • Hide content

Thank you QueenBee

my dentist told me this would be my permenant set and that if i go in on Monday he will see if anything needs adjusted, however apart from the actual fit the individual teeth are miles bigger than my bottom teeth and the teeth they replaced.

They are sitting ok at one side but the other side sits forward and out pushing my lip out too. I asked my dentist today if this could be sorted and he said basic fit only can be adjusted but if i want to go private i can for 800 pounds! x

eta no other options were discussed with me

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

Well i've worked in dentistry for 18yrs and I have known very few cases where a clearance (which is what you had) and immediate denture fit is not a temp solution! Where do you live?

£800 for a private denture is fine however i wouldnt dream of having them made at the minute as I promise you, your mouth, gums, bone will change dramatically over the next 3 to 6 months and the denture you have now will definatly be falling out. If i was going private, i would look to replace them in 6 to 9 months when your bone loss settles.

What happened that caused you to lose so many teeth? what age are you? reason i ask is because it can make a difference in length of time for proper healing and settling to take place.

• Scottishterrier
    Scottishterrier ·
    • Hide content

Thanks again,. i am 28 years old. my teeth have always been fine but a fear of dentists and letting a couple of minor things go too long combined with chemo etc last winter didn't help.

this plate is hurting and digging in at one side, slipping down at the other. when the teeth are sitting high enough up front the gum part is about an inch below the roof of my mouth..is this normal..sorry i'm probably paranoid i just think after my horse bashed me and broke a front tooth a few months ago i was so looking forward to not having to hide my mouth.. if he can do some small repairs on it i can use this for 6-9 months and then go see about a new set yeah? thats a relief. x

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

It would be a miracle if it fitted properly as they werent able to get an accurate impression of your gums because you still had your own teeth.

I would say that they will rock etc for a while as the gum will be swollen more in some areas than others. i would ask them to make sure they ease it for you so you don't get sore spots.

are you rinsing with salt water and taking the plate out to clean it? make sure you clean it as your gums could easily get infected with them still being open wounds.

you are really young to have lost your teeth and in the future, i'd be looking to save for implants. If you have no teeth at all on the upper, 2 implants could be placed and this allows you to get a denture that will secure onto them properly. imagine snap fastners in your mouth.

they are expensive but are a great long term solution and will stop your face falling in. Your canine teeth support your face and you will find that now they are gone, your mouth will collapse in as there will be nothing to support it. Implants can help prevent that. If you ever are thinking of going down that route, look into it sooner rather than later as the longer you leave it, the more bone you lose and there would possibly need to be bone grafting done in future.

Email me on *************@********.**.** if you want any info on them. I know a lot of implantologists that will place them for half price if you let other dentists watch them being done.

You can be happy with just dentures but you are really young to have to tolerate them for the rest of your life.

(not trying to sell you implants, just making you aware of options that your dentist doesnt sound like he has)

• Scottishterrier
    Scottishterrier ·
    • Hide content

Thank you again. i was at GP today to try and get painkillers as i had a very uncomfortable night but all she would give me was anti inflammatory

this morning i took it out to wash and rinse my mouth etc and it has badly cut into my gums making it so hard and painful to put back in it took an hour and lots of tears. it has been agony all day. seeing dentist on monday first thing so hoping the weekend is bareable and that he can sort something for me. x

• R
    West London
    Reon ·
    • Hide content

I would advise getting an appointment with a dentist as soon as possible. I went to the dentist recently for the first since 8 years a few months back. They did the deep cleaning and it was great, I notice that now I don't get that cold feeling in my teeth when I drink something cold. They also have this new kind of technology now (only for non invasive cleaning) in which they don't even use a shot on you but spread a some kind of gel to induce numbness. Earlier I didn't feel comfortable in clinics, but now it is ok. They told me how to clean teeth right and brushes are better and I didn't know that I could do it wrong.

https://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/how-to-brush-your-teeth

https://bathroomer.org/best-toothbrush-sanitizer/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics