Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jasmine
Beginner April 2023 Suffolk

Deposit and Date Help?

Jasmine, 5 of September of 2022 at 22:59 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 2

Girls, I need some advice.

We've found the venue we want to go with and we've read through the terms and conditions.

When we went got a viewing they said they would pencil us in for our requested date.

I asked about once we've paid the deposit if we have a time limit to send the terms and conditions back (signed and dated) and I got told "Your date does not become official until we receive a signed copy of the T&Cs".

The terms and conditions stated "until we receive the deposit your booking is deemed and provision and we reserve the right to sell the date".

Does this mean that (for example) we pay the deposit tomorrow and don't drop the signed and dated terms and conditions off until Monday, if someone else pays their deposit and chooses our date and hands in the terms and conditions sooner than we do, we've lost our date?

I'd rather hand everything over in person and we've been told we can do so next Monday but I'm so worried we might pay the deposit and then be told we don't have our date due to someone else doing it quicker.

We've been told we can send the terms and conditions signed and dated but just wondered if anyone can advise?

Would it be quicker to post first class if it meant we paid the deposit tomorrow and posted tomorrow so it would (if it could) get there before Friday?

Sorry if I sound stupid 😬

2 replies

Latest activity by Helen, 6 of September of 2022 at 00:01
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

Is it a risk but I'm not sure how probable it is that someone will take your date within a week.

Do you have a registrar booked? You'll need time to get that booked before you sign the contract in case there isn't anyone available to marry you on that date.
  • H
    Savvy October 2022 Essex
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    From what you’ve written above, your date will provisionally be on hold until you pay the deposit. Then once they’ve received the signed T&C’s, the booking will be confirmed.
    When they say ‘reserve the right to sell’ they’re referring to the period when the date is on hold but a deposit hasn’t yet been received. Once you’ve paid the deposit, they won’t offer your date to another couple! Royal Mail are on strike this Thursday/Friday so it might be better to hand everything over in person on Monday.
    I’d second what Hayley said and recommend checking registrar availability for your date first, if required Smiley smile Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics