Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2012

Derbyshire: any beautiful outdoor wedding land for hire?

hayglopainting, 31 March, 2010 at 08:39 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum - but was hoping someone could help us!! Am looking for the perfect OUTDOOR wedding venue - we're not religious - and getting married inside a hall somewhere is not me. So an outdoor wedding appealed to me - BUT my god is it hard (or uber expensive) to find somewhere in Derbyshire. I would love somewhere in the Peak District that has a bit of land - with beautiful views - where we can have a tipi wedding type marquee and NOT be restricted by rules. Ideally we would like our guests to be able to camp onsite (esp those with little kids who need a nap!) everywhere I've been so far is, no this, no that - I want a "yes man". The area has to be Derbyshire as this is where we've grown up - and since my partner's from Essex - we want them to experience the beautiful countryside. We were going to drive round and knock on farmer's doors to see if they would hire their land out - but anyone knows a place already...let me know!x

7 replies

Latest activity by hayglopainting, 28 July, 2010 at 14:20
  • K
    Beginner April 2010
    kazndave ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried somewhere like a big country house like Chatsworth? might not be cheap tho. don't think you can camp there but there will be somewhere not too far away. Only other i can think of is Clumber park and that has camping aswell, although that could be nottinghamshire not derbyshire.

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Hi there and welcome. Have a look at Rivendale Camping Park near Ashbourne - they have a licenced venue (not outdoors though) but its in the middle of the Peak District with camping and caravanning on site. I've camped there and I really like it - I know the owners too!

Website is https://darwinescapes.co.uk/rivendale-lodge-retreat/

For outdoors you could try Rosliston Forrestry Centre they have an outdoor pegolia (however you spell it) that you can marry in. website is: http://www.roslistonforestrycentre.co.uk/weddings.php

Good luck or you could opt for an outdoor humanist ceremony somewhere with the landowners pernission!

• H
    Beginner August 2012
    hayglopainting ·
    • Hide content

Hi there - I have tried Chatsworth - but it's too "austere"....I'm trying to steer clear of country houses....Clumber Park looked interesting - but you were right - it's in Nottingham...big no no....as we really want our guests to enjoy the Derbyshire countryside - but thankyou so much for your help!x

• H
    Beginner August 2012
    hayglopainting ·
    • Hide content

Hello Videogal - I think you might have something with Rivendale Camping Park!!! We're definately going to go up there and check it out towards the end of April (our only free weekend!!) I wasn't sure about Rosliston forestry as it looked a little "cheesy" from the photos they sent in their brochure....but great starting point - I'll let you know how I get on when we've been...x

• W
    Beginner May 2011
    WycombeWanderer ·
    • Hide content

Hello, this place is near Buxton:

https://www.hargate-hall.co.uk/

Not sure if they allow camping but they do have 7 acres of grounds and self-catering apartments.

• JM&DM2B
    Beginner March 2013
    JM&DM2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

Sorry i maybe a bit late to reply to your enquiry.... but when searching for venues etc I stumbled across this beauty! See you think https://www.osmastonpark.com/

x x x x

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    mel_wing ·
    • Hide content

Please let me know if you had any luck with this. I want outdoors too. Also looked at Chasworth and the forestry centre but not only are they really expensive a lot dont actually let you be outside other than for photo's

Were willing to do the legal bit elsewhere if we can have our day outside. Id be really glad if you could let me know any info you gathered and i'll do the same for you.

• H
    Beginner August 2012
    hayglopainting ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply - been really busy! I have actually had some luck and spoilt for choice!! Bear in mind we did NOT want a hall - I found the following:

1/ Masson Farm - it's beautiful - in Matlock - however - it's £4k just for the land hire.....but the views are amazing. You'd have to sort your own toilets and marquee out - the woman was quite restrictive though...as in no pets (though she has 2 dogs), she would rather you hire mini-buses - rather then park there as not enough parking...oh - and you'd have to finish up round midnight. Bonus is you can marry there as they have a license and the groom can travel on the cable car to get to the sight!

2/ Standlow Farm Ashbourne - this is where we've ended up booking actually - they're holiday let cottages - but you can hire them ALL out (so accomodation for your guests...sleeps up to 42!) and there's a paddock where you can have your marquee. I loved it - the views aren't as amazing as Masson Farm - but you have the place Friday through to the Monday - and your on your own - so you get the privacy!!

3/ Offcote Grange/ Billy Bothy's - they haven't done weddings yet. BUT I did chat to the lady (she's amazing) and they were considering it. Only thing is that the holiday cottage only sleeps 20 people... but the views are good.

So phew - that's what I found. I realised that you can contact holiday cottages - and see if they have any land where you can hire a marquee...there are a few out there (not many - but a few)

Let me know how you get on - and hope this has helped Smiley smile

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics