Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SaraPoppy
Dedicated July 2020

Desperate to elope!!!

SaraPoppy, 28 of December of 2014 at 20:14 Posted on Planning 0 8

I'm trying to convince my fiancé to elope. I've had enough of planning and everyone having their opinion of things we should and shouldn't do.

My future sister in law has said she doesn't want to come if we invite her stepmothers children. She doesn't have a relationship with her Dad or step mother but we do and we like their children so we want them there. FSIL has said she and her mum are not happy about it. My future mother in law doesn't like our venue and thinks our wedding is 'a show'. My mum got her own way with my dress and my Nan wants her way with my hair. We've had comments about the location of the venue. We are getting married at upwaltham church and having the reception and the barns. Both our nans have moaned that the church is in the middle of the field and others have moaned that it's about a 20 minute drive from where they live so will need to pay for taxis. We've had issues over food choices and not having a starter (we are serving canapés instead) then there's all the family politics!! My family get on with my fiancés Dad and step mum but not his mum and step dad. Then his mum doesn't like his Dad and neither do his brother or sister. Today his sister said she thinks the best we can do is elope because she's not happy with who we've invited.

At first I was a bit annoyed by the comment but now I think it's a great idea! I want to go to Italy with our son and get married. Then have a blessing on our original wedding date and have the reception. People will still moan about stuff but at least they won't be kicking off on our actual wedding day so I won't be too fussed. I know I shouldn't worry what other people think but my fiancé and myself have no got to the point where we can't wait for the wedding to be over. I want to be able to look forward to it. Am I being silly? Is anyone else eloping? Any tips of convincing the fiancé? ;-)

8 replies

Latest activity by pink & glitz, 28 of December of 2014 at 22:13
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't want to read and run but it sounds like an absolute nightmare. Your families need to remember whose wedding this is. Sorry but they all sound really selfish. I tend to agree with you that eloping and doing exactly what you and your oh want sounds idyllic in this scenario. I would just show him what you've written here and ask him what he thinks. Is he still wanting the traditional wedding with all these issues? X

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply. He's really annoyed about it too. We are staying with his mum whilst we are having work done on our flat and the issue has just come up again. I just there and cried!

My fiancé loves the idea of eloping but we have already paid for our venue and we will lose nearly 3k if we cancel and then we will need to find money to actually elope. That's what stopping him really. So I'm trying to convince him to change the day a bit. Instead of having the church we could have the blessing at the ceremony room of the barns. It's a bit cheaper to do that. And then instead of sit down meal we could have a big roast and a few nibbles later in the evening. That should save a bit on catering and we haven't paid a deposit yet so we have got time to let them know. I also wouldn't need my sequin tablecloths if we did this ;-) I would feel upset that my nan didn't see me get married but it would still be a 'wedding day' If there was a way of not telling our guests we were already married and hope they didn't twig during the blessing it would be perfect!x

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Reading your story reminds me of my family and my husbands family, everyone seems to have an opinion on weddings when it has nothing to do with them. I know exactly how you feel!!! Like you we had provisionally booked a date in Scotland for our wedding but then cancelled it, we lost nothing as no money had been spent. How far along are you with planning / deposits??? Would you loose a lot??

I am biased as we decided to go abroad with our closest family (OH mum and 1 bridesmaid) were still a nightmare though. We then had a reception for everyone when we got home.

I would let your fiance know how miserable it's making you and that you are stressed out! Maybe he is feeling the same.

X

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

That sounds so stressful and I don't blame you for wanting to elope, it actually sounds wonderful. You really need to do what you want otherwise you may regret it. Do the blessing in the barn and sacrifice the sequin table cloths Smiley winking

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

At the moment we would lose 3k if we cancelled altogether. If we just adjusted the day and rearrange the budget we might be able to find enough to elope. But I have no idea where to start with that!

My fiancé knows I'm upset and he hates it. He's really stressed out with too. Every time he tries to speak to his family he just gets shouted down. He's not one to bend over easily either, he's a police officer so he definitely has backbone but that gives you some idea of what his family are like. I forgot to mention his brother and sister don't get on. His brother has now said he's not coming. Just want to point out that his brother is 27 and his sister is 25. His stepmothers children are in their 30's so it's not as if they have an excuse to be acting childish. I'm not even asking them to be civil on the day, just ignore each other. Our venue has 3 seperate barns, a courtyard and an outside snug to escape to so there's no reason they should be near each other really.

If you were invited to a wedding and it turned out to be a blessing instead would you be disappointed?

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I'd be just as happy to be invited to a blessing - just let people know that's all - but......I don't actually that will change anything - they'll be just as bad for that. I would be inclined to stick with/do what you want to do and simply rethink your guests. Tell them that unless they accept it's your wedding and you are doing it your way and if they are unable to be civil and behave appropriately then they needn't worry as they won't be invited and don't give them the opportunity to speak. Be firm, calm and robust. I don't think they'll like it but tbh what have you got to lose? :/

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I know its 3k but it willbe money well spent if its what you want. You only have one wedding with your true love and do you want to remember all the politics and moaning from relatives? Honestly, it sounds like eloping is what you both really want, I'm actually slightly envious that I don't have the balls to do it myself!

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

The guests probably would still be the same at a blessing but at least it wouldn't ruin our real wedding day. I'm so confused by everything. Once again I'm in tears! Sorry that this is a negative post!

I don't understand how this is all getting out of hand? A wedding is a celebration not a time to get into family disputes. I would love to be form with them but then I run the risk of causing more friction and more family fall outs :-(

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

You have paid 3k, could you speak to the hotel and ask that instead of an all day event, if possible could you organize an evening reception with them??? That way nobody looses out. Get married abroad and treat your celebration at home a night for all family/ friends?? Bonus is you get to wear your dress twice!!! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics