Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Curious April 2023 Perthshire

Destination (ish) wedding- how to say no kids

Jo, 29 of March of 2022 at 15:24 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 13
Hello!
Fiancé and I are getting married in Scotland next year on a bank holiday weekend which might as well be a destination wedding as we, like most friends and family, live in the South of England. We're a bit older getting married than some of our friends who have little kids and a few, including the best man, will have babies under 1 by the time of the wedding. We've decided we'd prefer no children in order to ensure more adult friends and family can come and for the party atmosphere. Our venue is a village hall so booking a babysitter would be off site so might be tricky.

Is it ok to politely request no children given the distance? Should we make an exception for under 1s, even if they have older siblings?
Any advice is welcome!Thank you

13 replies

Latest activity by Sinéad, 30 of March of 2022 at 19:36
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt have a rule of under ones as you are then opening up a route for people to try and persuade you to allow their other children, and also, that seems harder to swallow (to me as a parent) that one child is invited and not the other, however, if your bridal party have these age children you could allow them but I would make them flower girl/page boys so that they are part of the bridal party and then you can use that as your rule as to who is allowed, as it is possble your best man may be in an akward position if his child is nto there and his partner has to stay home to look after them. Or if you speak to them in advance and they are happy not bringing the children then you dont have to include them.

It is perfectly acceptable for you to have no children, it is your day so should be your rules. That said I think you need to be prepared that some people may decline purely because some may not be confortable attending a wedding that is far away from their kids, is not ligistically easy to organise childcare for an extended period as I assume it will mean them being away for a couple of days.

you could word it like:

in order for all our guests, including parents, to enjoy a day of relaxation we regrettably cannot extend our invitation to any children other than those in the bridal party. We hope this advance notice will allow you sufficent time to make arrangements for childcare. We apologise for any upset or inconvenience but we very much hope you will be able to attend our special day and enjoy a day off celebrating with us!

Just be certain the ones who may not come are not essential as you could then end up opening the flood gates. My cousin had a no child rule but then said it was ok for one person which caused a lot of issues with other family members to the point that 3 people did not come out of principal that their child was not invited and another ones were. It is a political minefield, but ss long as you are happy with your choice and are happy to accept some people may not come then go with it.

• J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it! They all had child free weddings so I'm sure they will understand.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problems, the main thing is you are happy with your decisions and you don't need to explain it to anyone.
    That is good they had the same so shouldn't be to big an issue
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    I would probably get rid of the ‘in order for everyone to enjoy the day’ part. That’s just saying children ruin things and, while it’s not uncommon in suggestions of how to word this on wedding invites, I personally find it pretty rude!

I do think it’s a lot to ask people to travel 7(?) hours, probably more on a bank holiday weekend, and to not be able to see their kids for the whole weekend. It might be worth looking again if it is possible to find a way for the children to be minded for the day somewhere near your venue/hotel.
  • J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your advice. Maybe I'll talk to them about it and see what they think. My maid of honour is very excited to leave her daughter with her mum to get a weekend away but they might not all feel the same, especially with tiny babies!
  • J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you for the suggestion!
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Could you potentially do some research on reputable babysitters in the area and share these on your wedding website?

A destination wedding might cause some upset/difficulties in getting full weekend childcare, and people may want to bring their kids to enjoy the rest of the weekend that's not the wedding as presumably they will be shelling out on accommodation. It might be nice to highlight the option to hire a babysitter local to the venue.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I would simply state that the wedding is going to be adult-only. Saying things like 'to give you chance to enjoy the wedding' or 'so that you can relax' can actually come across as offensive to some parents, since you are telling them that they will enjoy being without their kids more than being with them! (I know that's not the intention, but I've heard friends with kids letting off steam about invites that were worded like that in the past!)

The only thing to bear in mind is that you will probably have a higher number of refusals if you go child-free, since it may be hard for parents to find child-care, especially over a long weekend. It would also be worth checking with your best man that he & his partner will be able to find childcare and, if not, you might want to consider making their child a member of the bridal party, so they have an excuse to bring him/her.

• Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    Hello,
    We are just having our children & neices and nephews.
    I wasn't planning on putting anything on the invitation. I'm just going to put the couples names on the invitation nothing else.I can't imagine any of our guests rocking up with their children 🤣
    But if you are worried. I would tell your guests as early as possible so they can make arrangements for their kids.
    I'm sure they would love to have a night away by themselves. When we are invited to weddings we always arrange for the kids to have a sleepover with family members.
    Sinéad
  • J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the advice, particularly about wording. It's not that we don't like their kids so I wouldn't want them to get that impression!
  • J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the advice. It would be a lovely place for a family holiday so that could be a good solution.
  • J
    Jo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Sinéad, some are very excited to leave the kids behind but it just occurred to me that some may still be breast feeding so thought I should sense check!
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't think they would get that impression. A lot of people would rather not have children at their wedding.
    I totally get it . At the end of the day it's your wedding and ye both need to be comfortable. I don't think anyone would be upset by that. I think you are within your right to have the day you both want. 🙂🙂

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics