Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MallorcaBride2021
Beginner July 2021 Carmarthenshire

Destination Wedding 2021 possibly postponed - is it okay to have legal bit done a year before the blessing ceremony?

MallorcaBride2021, 28 of January of 2021 at 10:41 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 1 1
My wedding is booked in Spain for July 2021, which at the time of booking last year I thought would be no issue. But, now it’s only 6 months away I’m hearing different things and that restrictions there are quite strict, and it won’t be the destination wedding I’ve dreamt of for so long. Before the wedding we have to get legally married in our local registry office anyway and had planned to do this a week before the blessing, or what I like to think as the actual wedding in Spain.
Now we are faced with the decision of so we postpone to next year to ensure we have the wedding of our dreams, or do we ride it out for a bit longer. If we do have to postpone....a part of me just really wants to be married and am considering having the registry office done on the date of our original wedding date this year, with just immediate family and then wait a year for the big ceremony in Spain next summer. Is this a crazy idea to have them a year apart? I think with Covid we just all need a bit of happiness and I think it would be quite cool to have a part 1/part 2 kinda wedding..
But how would guests feel, would they think the same and would they still want to come abroad to celebrate the blessing next year if I’m technically already married? Or do we just keep it a secret for a year and tell no one, so they wouldn’t know any different? Or do we just postpone the whole thing a year and do the two parts within a week but next year.
What are your thoughts? Greatly appreciate any opinions ☺️

1 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 28 of January of 2021 at 13:01
  • C
    Beginner June 2021 South West London
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Hey! Oh gosh, sounds really tough. We don’t have a destination wedding planned but our wedding is due to be this June. Like you, at the time of booking we didn’t think Covid would be an issue but it’s becoming obvious that it is probably going to be. We are the same in that we aren’t sure whether to get married on our original date and then have a party the year after but we aren’t sure what guests would feel and I don’t really know how I would feel about it either.

It’s just really hard as nobody has the answer. I guess if you’re happy to do it in two parts then go for it. Maybe speak to your really important guests before hand but I’m sure they would understand your reasoning as Covid is out of anybody’s control.
    Or if you feel like you could hold off an extra year maybe that’s best? I guess it just depends how you both feel, it’s really tough and I don’t envy you as a destination wedding sounds even more stressful at the moment. I just worry that there might be a new variant next year which vaccines don’t protect against and then we will have to vaccinate everyone again. That’s a bit of a negative mindset though so I’m trying not to think like that!
    Anyway, I hope you’re ok and aren’t feeling too stressed, I’m sure it will work out and just remember you will have the wedding of your dreams, it’s just not certain when that will be xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics