Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner May 2026 Sardinia

Destination Wedding Battle

Kayleigh, 3 of April of 2024 at 12:01 Posted on Planning 0 1
Hello everyone! I got engaged 2 weeks ago and am so excited to get planning, my dream is a wedding abroad in either Italy or Spain! I want it quite low key with closest friends and family. However my partner wants the opposite he wants the big wedding in the UK. We have said we don’t want to get married for 3 years so he feels like there is no rush to get planning. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you over come it? I’ve happily said I’d have a party after in the UK but he wasn’t keen on the idea of that.

1 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 5 of April of 2024 at 19:15
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The good news is that you are going to differ on a lot of things in the future, so learning how to compromise over your wedding is a great start in learning how to deal with conflicting views!

The bad news is that your dream weddings couldn't be much further apart, so compromise is going to be tricky!

Instead of comparing large + UK and small + overseas and giving up, I'd spend some time thinking about WHY you have both gone for the wedding idea that you have and what you want your wedding day to feel like.

For example, if you want a destination wedding because it feels more luxurious, could you get the same feeling from a high end UK venue? If you've seen Italian or Spanish venues that you love, can you find a venue in the UK that has a similar vibe? If you want a small guest list so that you can spend time with each one, can you look at having an extended celebration, maybe by booking accommodation for your closest friends to stay for the whole weekend?

Does your OH want a UK wedding because he likes the idea of getting married somewhere familiar? In that case, would he feel differently about a destination wedding if you were to visit the location on holiday a few times in the time between now and the wedding. What is his idea of a 'big' wedding? What's the smallest number he can imagine having at his wedding before it loses that 'big' feel? And what is your ideal number for a 'low key' wedding? How big would it have to get before it stops feeling 'low key'?

You're probably not going to come to an agreement after your first round of discussions, but thinking through questions like these might help you both move your 'dream weddings' closer to each others!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics