Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner December 2020 Cambridgeshire

Destination wedding-invite etiquette

Mylillya, 6 of August of 2014 at 13:57 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi guys,

We have just recently decided to get marries in Rhodes in Greece next august. When should we be thinking about sending invites? We want everyone to have enough time to save and also get time off work.

Thanks in advance

7 replies

Latest activity by Mrslizziew2be, 7 of August of 2014 at 14:44
  • SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in Spain, the moment we had our date confirmed, we sent an email with the date/location to all who were invited, because people were waiting for us, some people needed to organise their annual leave as far in advance as possible. Plus, flights at that time were £60; they are now £140. We then followed it up with a 'proper' wedding invite a couple of months later once we had more details confirmed and a 'theme' etc.

We wrote something in the email like "please excuse the informality of this Save The Date, we know a lot of you need the information as soon as possible, we will be sending out formal invitations soon."

If you want to send out 'proper' save the dates, like pretty ones, through the post, get them ready/designed in advance so that as soon as you have the details you can get them printed/made/posted immediately.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We sent out posh Save the Dates as soon as we'd booked the date. It was two years in advance, but we were getting married in Australia. We needed to know rough numbers before we booked the venue as we really had no idea how many people would say yes. The Save the Dates were boarding pass style and the rip off bit at the end was an indication of interest. It didn't commit people to having to come, but basically said they were interested and to please send an invitation. Over the next few months we chatted to people who'd expressed an interest in coming. Formal invitations were sent out around 6 months before the wedding, only to those who said they might be interested. By then, numbers dwindled quite a lot.

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

I like SW's suggestion of the save the date email. I think with destination weddings you can never give too much notice to people of your intentions. It gives them plenty of time to book, to save, to sort out holiday etc, and also gives you plenty of time if they say they're not able to come.

If your year to go mark is approaching, why not send it on that date?

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Surfer Rosa ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations x We are getting married in Rhodes too.

We sent Save the Dates as soon as we booked which gave us early indications of who was coming and then followed up with invitations. People do need to know as soon as possible so they can book leave etc.

Let me know if you need help with anything x

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married next July abroad & we're in the process of getting our invites together to send out in the next couple of weeks. Our immediate family were made aware of the date when we booked. I chose to forgo the STD because I felt that I needed to send so much information that it made sense just to send the invite straightaway.

• M
    Mylillya ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much everybody! I think I will skip the save the dates and go straight for the invites, as you can never have too much notice for something right?! I'm planning on making them myself so that will take some time anyway.

Thanks Again

• M
    Mylillya ·
    • Hide content

Hi again!

Another question for destination brides. Has anyone had any negative responses from family members over having your wedding abroad? My family have been super supportive, all getting in touch to let me know how excited they are and that they are starting to save already. Whereas my other half's family were unhappy, trying to convince us not to do it. I know its not a financial issue, as they are much more well off than my family. His step mother is a florist and thinks she knows everything about weddings and how we should have ours. She said our wedding was her idea of hell and I couldn't help but feel upset at how negative they were being. They even offered us 5 thousand pounds to have it in England! Which we would never accept. Am I being over sensitive? I feel like they are trying to take control and make the wedding what they want it to be.

Sorry for the rant!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

Hi, one of my old school friends who I still keep in contact with planned a wedding abroad and had such a negative response from most people she was pressured into moving it and having it at home. She still regrets the choice of having it in the UK but wanted to make sure their families were happy ( from what I know they are also financially able to afford a few night away for a wedding as she spoke to me about it all) she sai her wedding felt like it was for everyone else. Not the simple wedding they bth wanted in a beautiful destination so please if your sure you want to go away for your wedding do what makes you both happy. His family should come round to the idea of it and support you both, if they don't then sod them if they can't be happy for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics